Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carbon Rim Braking Performance-Flo Article [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jo O. wrote:

Campagnolo hydro shifters use the same oil. Expensive experiment though.

Yeah...and their braking systems are actually designed by Magura. That said, from the pics I've seen, they appear to use the high pressure hose and fittings, not the lower pressure hose :-(

Another option (and also expensive) is Rotor, where the brakes are also designed/made by Magura. From what I can tell, the RT6/8 style hydraulic rim brakes use the same master cylinder bore diameter as the HS11/22/33 rim brakes, so the Rotor rim levers should work just fine.

I have tried their hydro shifters:
As much as I would like their engineering they just do not shift very well.
more of a hydro friction that indexed shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Rim Braking Performance-Flo Article [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
I've had zero issues descending with textured Enves in the wet

What does that mean, though? You haven't had an accident or died yet? Or are you saying that you believe (or have evidence) that those wheels can stop as quickly as an aluminum brake track?
If your health or life actually depended on it, do you still believe that Enves will stop as quickly?

My experience indicates that they can stop as quickly as aluminum tracks. Have to squeeze harder, obviously. But the rear locks up easily and I'm sure that I could either flip over the bars or lock the front up if I squeezed the front too hard. The grip of my 25c GP5000 on wet pavement is the limiter, not the brake interface. Aluminum tracks wouldn't require as much force and are thus more confidence inspiring, but maximum power is sufficient to hit the pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Rim Braking Performance-Flo Article [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Roval are complete trash. .

For wet braking, i totally agree. Otherwise, my roval wheels are great but they are dangerous when its wet. My Zipps (firecrest) aren't excellent in the wet, but at least i feel in control.

Which pads have you tried?

I'm amazed by the blue pads on Knight wheels in the dry. Stronger than Enve. I'm curious how they are in the wet.

People tout Zipp but that just has a few thin slots instead of a fully textured track like Enve or Bontie. Is that slit all that is needed? Or maybe their pad/surface combination is just a better match.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Rim Braking Performance-Flo Article [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Rim Braking Performance-Flo Article [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Though I would add that in the wet initial bite is weaker and then there is a moment during which you realize that you need to squeeze harder. I'd say that moment is a bit longer than when I'm riding aluminum. So there is a short time from when I grab my brakes to when I'm applying the right amount of pressure for "oh sh!t" moments.

There may be a time when that split second makes the difference.

If aluminum tracks came with zero aesthetic or weight penalty, I'd prefer them. But given the options, the minor difference in breaking, carbon still wins in my eyes. Citec is close
Quote Reply

Prev Next