Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ugh. Dude you're right. But why suck the oxygen out of the room?

Because of the people like the guy on this thread who got in bike wreck, told ironman to go f* themselves, said they should go bankrupt, etc etc because they led us all on and didn't cancel st. george early enough.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Aug 10, 20 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you fix the quote? I didn’t say the last part.

Me:
Can we now finally all agree the season is done and there will be no Ironman racing on this side of the planet?

Or are we moving the goal post to “But what about Texas, Florida and Arizona?”

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Aug 10, 20 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Me:
Can we now finally all agree the season is done and there will be no Ironman racing on this side of the planet?

We are moving the goal post to "But what about Texas, Florida and Arizona?” because otherwise we take the joy away for you and SBRcanuck in posting that these race won't happen anytime before 2038 :-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Me:

We are moving the goal post to "But what about Texas, Florida and Arizona?” because otherwise we take the joy away for you and SBRcanuck in posting that these race won't happen anytime before 2038 :-)
Sam

I never said that.......I think racing will be back by 2029. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Quote:

Ugh. Dude you're right. But why suck the oxygen out of the room?

Because of the people like the guy on this thread who got in bike wreck, told ironman to go f* themselves, said they should go bankrupt, etc etc because they led us all on and didn't cancel st. george early enough.

everything that person said in that post was completely ridiculous. he/she shouldn't be the cited reason why some people should be afforded the ability to be optimistic about racing returning.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea whether they will just quash IMSG for a May 2021 race since it's not happening this year and hasn't for awhile then? No deferral option to IMSG 2021 given that I have seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St George will be back to the 70.3 for 2021. I think the full will be back in 2023. Don't forget that St. George is supposed to host the 70.3 World Champs in Sept. 2021, so two races there next year, May and Sept. For those of us that were signed up for Oceanside, transferring into St. George 70.3 in May was an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone get an official "rescheduled" lM Maryland email with deferral options?
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
St George will be back to the 70.3 for 2021. I think the full will be back in 2023. Don't forget that St. George is supposed to host the 70.3 World Champs in Sept. 2021, so two races there next year, May and Sept. For those of us that were signed up for Oceanside, transferring into St. George 70.3 in May was an option.

I'm actually asking them if I can transfer to the 70.3 in May as an option. I know I will lose money, but I will anyway since all my other deferral options now include travel and bike transportation. I would rather not travel and I am completely exhausted (physically and emotionally) from being on pins and needles about a full IM going forward. I would rather keep my regular training routine and not commit to a race that may or may not happen.

This is a real shame. The State, the city, even the health department was on board with moving forward with this race but it's obvious now that IM is playing an insurance game at the expense of the athletes' hopes for the race to go forward. This lack of open communication shows a deep lack of respect for the athletes. I've lost what little respect I had left for this organization.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more with you Lock_N_Load.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Wisconsin: June 27, 2021
___

Interesting they have moved IMWI to late June from its week after labor day slot. Anyone know why? I loved that race when I tried it 2004&5...as in...died a thousands deaths in '04 with a run split longer than my bike (think there is a clear correlation there!) and DNF'd in 05!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorta side note on this...anyone have any issues getting your notification email changed with Ironman? I submitted a support ticket to have mine changed months ago and just checked on it today and it no longer exists, so I've submitted another. I'd really like to be able to get an email with options should (when) my fall 70.3 is cancelled!
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most likey a typical type-o from the dummies at IM; the webpage has it for its traditional September weekend in 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
5. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Wisconsin: June 27, 2021
___

Interesting they have moved IMWI to late June from its week after labor day slot. Anyone know why? I loved that race when I tried it 2004&5...as in...died a thousands deaths in '04 with a run split longer than my bike (think there is a clear correlation there!) and DNF'd in 05!

That's a typo. They did the same thing with the date for Texas (should have been 24th instead of 25th). They couldn't even check their cancellation e-mail for typos on the most critical data of their e-mail! These guys are a case study on what a monopoly does to its customers....

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty bummed with the cancellation. Fully understand why they can’t have it this year but waiting til 2023 is brutal. Have been dying to do this every since getting into triathlon.
Understand the logistics would be tough but considering they have 2 70.3s it seems like the perfect opportunity to turn the may race into a full
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we thinking there are multiple date mistakes on the deferral line up? On mine, I also noticed IMLP was slated for a Friday???
I'm a Saturday racing IM guy - I have my reasons (hint hint, UT born and raised). As it stands, if IMTX holds true, I have Maryland/Florida to choose from.
What's the chance IM will push the full to 2021 in May and keep the 70.3 WC in Sept 2021...or, we've seen them do a 70.3/140.6 on the same day in CdA and Tahoe...?
Was really looking forward to another full in SG since my first was 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The St. George Marathon just cancelled today. Hmmm it is not just IM that is pulling the plug.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [beeotch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm it is not just IM that is pulling the plug.

People are ganging up on IM, but the fact of the matter is EVERY mass participation Endurance Sports (running, cycling and triathlon) race and event around the world has been cancelled, postponed or put on hold! The WHOLE of the business is shut down!

Yes - I know there are a few races/events that are still going on. I don't understand that, and I don't know how they have been able to obtain key things like permits and insurance or sanctions. If I was going to do one of these races/events, that is going on, I would be asking the people putting the race/event on if they have the suitable permits? Do they have the blessing of the local municipalities? What does their insurance look like? Do they have sanctioning from their respective or appropriate governing body? There are about 20 other questions I would be asking, but this is a good place to start.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

The State, the city, even the health department was on board with moving forward with this race

Interesting, if true. You start to wonder if ironman has enough non-furloughed staff to even produce a full weekend of racing right now, or if they already effectively pulled the plug on NA 2020 season internally, mothballed the whole production/ merchandise operation, and are just going to give it a go next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Hmmm it is not just IM that is pulling the plug.

People are ganging up on IM, but the fact of the matter is EVERY mass participation Endurance Sports (running, cycling and triathlon) race and event around the world has been cancelled, postponed or put on hold! The WHOLE of the business is shut down!

Yes - I know there are a few races/events that are still going on. I don't understand that, and I don't know how they have been able to obtain key things like permits and insurance or sanctions. If I was going to do one of these races/events, that is going on, I would be asking the people putting the race/event on if they have the suitable permits? Do they have the blessing of the local municipalities? What does their insurance look like? Do they have sanctioning from their respective or appropriate governing body? There are about 20 other questions I would be asking, but this is a good place to start.

Hey Steve,
If you have the time check out the top two posts on Witsups FB fage and some of your questions will be answered.Firstly the Ironman Cairns "locals only" race looks like it will go ahead and I have it on secret advice that the Queensland Gov't via Queensland Tourism handed out about $200,000USD to the Ironman Cairns group in order to get the thing going. Queensland Tourism and the state gov't do this all the time as events are a high priority for tourism in our state..
The second post is Aussie pro Renee Kiley taking about her win in the Rainbow Beach Tri which was held last weekend not far from me north of Noosa.She talks about the proceedure put in place for that race..
https://www.facebook.com/...I9dVDbfX08qRxUNDv_nG

A old fellow pro from your time,Kiwi Brendon Downey now owns the biggest triathlon series in our state and possibly the country and his races kick off again next month..Look up Queensland Tri Series on FB and message him as I am sure he would love to hear from an old guy from the good old days.. :-)
https://www.theeventcrew.com.au/...eensland-tri-series/
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Hey Steve,
If you have the time check out the top two posts on Witsups FB fage and some of your questions will be answered.Firstly the Ironman Cairns "locals only" race looks like it will go ahead and I have it on secret advice that the Queensland Gov't via Queensland Tourism handed out about $200,000USD to the Ironman Cairns group in order to get the thing going. Queensland Tourism and the state gov't do this all the time as events are a high priority for tourism in our state..

The IM Cairns COVID Safe Plan needs to be approved by Tropical Public Health Services public health unit. IM Cairns have only just submitted their plan so still a fairly major hurdle to overcome. 70.3 Sunshine Coast is 2 weeks earlier and will be 30 days out on Friday so it will be interesting to see whether they have an update soon.

We have been very fortunate in Qld that things have remained under control so far. It is certainly looking promising for race day but I'm not booking accommodation until the next announcement from Sunshine Coast. I have been keeping an eye on accommodation the last couple of weeks and there is a lot of availability compared to previous years. Numbers will be significantly down.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Hey Steve,

The IM Cairns COVID Safe Plan needs to be approved by Tropical Public Health Services public health unit. IM Cairns have only just submitted their plan so still a fairly major hurdle to overcome. 70.3 Sunshine Coast is 2 weeks earlier and will be 30 days out on Friday so it will be interesting to see whether they have an update soon.

We have been very fortunate in Qld that things have remained under control so far. It is certainly looking promising for race day but I'm not booking accommodation until the next announcement from Sunshine Coast. I have been keeping an eye on accommodation the last couple of weeks and there is a lot of availability compared to previous years. Numbers will be significantly down.
Should be lots of accommodation available even though it is school holidays.I am going up anyway and starting on the 14th will ride up (Epic Camp style) from Coolum to watch and hang out before riding back via inland Qld.I hope the race goes ahead but I wouldn't bet on it..
The Cardiac Challenge ride from Cairns to Cooktown is a go for the 19th-21st Sept so you never know.Wish I had known about this charity ride before I planned my trip.It would have been nice to have some company for once.
https://cardiacchallenge.com.au/
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the time check out the top two posts on Witsups FB fage and some of your questions will be answered.

Nick,

Thanks for this.

Another variable here is that every country is going to be a little different.

Canada has tended to be VERY conservative with all of this. Thus, no cutting edge or early decisions on anything here. Specifically regarding triathlon race season in the country - it's really only 3-months long. Many non-IRONMAN RD's, I think realized early on that there really was not going to be any race season as we know it.

As noted SOME racing is going on. Barrie Shepley is putting on ultra sprint races, with a ton of protocol and procedure in a location where he can control almost everything - for 10 people at a time!!

The Australian Summer Season of triathlon racing, and how it goes at races further south in the U.S. later in the year (if they run), and early next spring, will be test runs to see what we may be able to do in Canada in 2021. That's the optimistic view - but at this stage no one really knows exactly how things are going to pan out.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [beeotch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is rather interesting, I think the Health Dept was on board with the event happening. (ignore the title it is awful, has insight into Health Dept mindset though) Their data has yet to show that large outdoor events lead to outbreaks. Earth Shattering I know. Seems weird if this was the case why did they kill the Marathon too? I believe IM pulled the plug due to many factors which I don't blame them but at some point in 2020 a race will happen (Estonia is next up), and it will show that outdoor events should start happening. Hell I think even in NA an IM event can go on.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/...n-utah/#.XzbIADVMGUn
Quote Reply

Prev Next