Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where is the official word on St. George?
Quote | Reply
Appreciating the conventional wisdom around here that all 2020 races will be cancelled, when will it happen for IMStG?

Plenty of races scheduled afterwards have been put out of misery already.

Or, dare I ask in the words of Dumb and Dumber, “are you saying there’s a chance?”
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are qualifying into StG WC through the Ironman VR races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if IM is going to do it it will be this week since we will be within 45 days of race. The City of St. George and the State of Utah want to hold the race. COVID is on the fast decline in Utah. There already have been several races in the state with over 1K participants. So, unless Ironman pulls the plug soon or COVID goes crazy again sometime in the next month it looks like the race could go on. Crossing my fingers for a go-ahead on IMSTG.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website still says “The 2020 Intermountain Healthcare IRONMAN St. George will offer 75 slots to the 2020 Edition of the IRONMAN World Championship on February 6, 2021” so you know IM is on top of their game...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If any race can happen, its this one. Only 1500 participants and a very willing community. Covid on decline in Utah and reports from St George is everyone is masking up. So only getting better.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
If any race can happen, its this one. Only 1500 participants and a very willing community. Covid on decline in Utah and reports from St George is everyone is masking up. So only getting better.

This is pretty much the same argument that has been made for almost every race this year........right up to the point at which it was cancelled, sometimes only a few days before the race date.
I'd say zero chance of this race happening. And very low chance of any large (ie. Ironman) races in 2021.
Shit is out of control in the US in general, and is about to get worse with back to school.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and I disagree, an IM race will happen this year, Finland, Weymouth, Estonia and probably STG all look like a go ahead! All in Sept.

For reference a half mararhon happened in Utah last weekend with 1300 peeps on SLC region, cases in SLC are worse than STG. Also cases in Uath have dropped from 7day rolling avg of about 590 to 440 last 2 weeks. STG has had softball, basketball tournaments with over 2000 participants each in last 4 weeks.

With that being said until I am in water that day in stg I think it could be unplugged. Will mentally prep for the scenario if it gets cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [zds82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zds82 wrote:
You and I disagree, an IM race will happen this year, Finland, Weymouth, Estonia and probably STG all look like a go ahead! All in Sept.

For reference a half mararhon happened in Utah last weekend with 1300 peeps on SLC region, cases in SLC are worse than STG. Also cases in Uath have dropped from 7day rolling avg of about 590 to 440 last 2 weeks. STG has had softball, basketball tournaments with over 2000 participants each in last 4 weeks.

With that being said until I am in water that day in stg I think it could be unplugged. Will mentally prep for the scenario if it gets cancelled.

Even if cases in Utah are on the decline, do you really think they will deem it safe for folks from all over the US to travel there and possibly bring covid with them? And can they be a profitable race with no one from outside the US attending (or at least very few, cause of quarantines, etc)?
I really hope you are right and I am wrong, would love to see an event actually happen, but I just can't see it... Every other place that has had a softball tournament and/or running events or whatever, and have stated they are def a go ahead, etc. have ended up cancelling the WTC events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

This is pretty much the same argument that has been made for almost every race this year........right up to the point at which it was cancelled, sometimes only a few days before the race date.
I'd say zero chance of this race happening. And very low chance of any large (ie. Ironman) races in 2021.
Shit is out of control in the US in general, and is about to get worse with back to school.

I assume you are referring to Lubbock and Muncie which are the only other 2 races that had high city/state support which looked like they were happening and got cancelled.

The difference is those states were starting to peak and there was a fear all the visitors would lead to a more rapid increase. With St.G, there are quickly declining so if trends continue there will be less fear of holding an event. Especially considering they have held 1000+ participant events and yet the numbers did not increase due to it.

I think St. G, IMFL, IMAZ, GC 70.3 and FL70.3 all happen this year as those areas have high support and numbers are quickly declining. Arizona has gone from a 7 day average of 3500+ down to 2000 and steadily declining.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

I assume you are referring to Lubbock and Muncie which are the only other 2 races that had high city/state support which looked like they were happening and got cancelled.

The difference is those states were starting to peak and there was a fear all the visitors would lead to a more rapid increase. With St.G, there are quickly declining so if trends continue there will be less fear of holding an event. Especially considering they have held 1000+ participant events and yet the numbers did not increase due to it.

I think St. G, IMFL, IMAZ, GC 70.3 and FL70.3 all happen this year as those areas have high support and numbers are quickly declining. Arizona has gone from a 7 day average of 3500+ down to 2000 and steadily declining.

Florida numbers are quickly declining? We must be reading different news sources... lol
Anyway, guess we'll see, I hope you are right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly.....probably because you are reading news stories and I am reading data. Floridas 7 day average has dropped from 11,800/day on July 17th down to a 8400/day presently. Roughly 30% decline in results. Maybe you should look at data rather than the news?
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Aug 4, 20 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Florida numbers are quickly declining? We must be reading different news sources... lol

Quickly declining is an overstatement. They are declining but the last few days of decline aren’t really valid as many test sites close due to the hurricane. But deaths are still high. 245 more today. Hopefully it trends in the right direction
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Quickly declining is an overstatement. They are declining but the last few days of decline aren’t really valid as many test sites close due to the hurricane. But deaths are still high. 245 more today. Hopefully it trends in the right direction

I was wondering the same thing about numbers of people being tested. Now that said, I guess it does look like a decline in percentage of positive tests........but I still think its a bit early to count your chickens....
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

This is a fair statement as yes there have been less tests but if we look at the 7 day average on Saturday(Hurricane didn’t affect numbers TIL Sunday) It’s a 9400 7 day average so still 21% decrease in cases.

The death numbers are increasing as there is a high amount of active cases but the daily increase is clearly declining. 21% in 2 weeks is significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Dunno about IMAZ with the recent incident of toxic waste spilling into Tempe town lake.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
The City of St. George and the State of Utah want to hold the race. COVID is on the fast decline in Utah. There already have been several races in the state with over 1K participants.

The senior games scheduled for Oct in St George are cancelled. I thought it might be my last ditch chance to do some racing, but nope...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
zds82 wrote:

Even if cases in Utah are on the decline, do you really think they will deem it safe for folks from all over the US to travel there and possibly bring covid with them? And can they be a profitable race with no one from outside the US attending (or at least very few, cause of quarantines, etc)?
I really hope you are right and I am wrong, would love to see an event actually happen, but I just can't see it... Every other place that has had a softball tournament and/or running events or whatever, and have stated they are def a go ahead, etc. have ended up cancelling the WTC events.

If you look at the current list of participants about 90% are US participants, and YES, whether you want to accept it or not, whether it horrifies you or not, the majority of people want to race! I would say that of the 1,500 or so in the list there will still be those who do not want to race or can't race. I'm guessing if the race goes ahead you are looking at a field of about 1,200 people. I live in Utah and races are picking up all over the place. There are even athletes being bused to start lines (wearing masks of course). Which is no different than the Delta Flights that I took last week where we were typically packed in like sardines but required to wear a mask.

Utah wants the race, St. George wants the race, and the only way it doesn't happen is if Ironman decides to pull the plug. IM could definitely still pull the plug but it won't be because the community and State made them back off.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
The City of St. George and the State of Utah want to hold the race. COVID is on the fast decline in Utah. There already have been several races in the state with over 1K participants.

The senior games scheduled for Oct in St George are cancelled. I thought it might be my last ditch chance to do some racing, but nope...

To keep things in perspective the Senior Games attracts 11K+ senior athletes from all over the nation, so the risk profile for an event like that is 10x what it would be like for an Ironman. It probably makes sense to cancel this event.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol doesn't horrify me, no. If Mont Tremblant hadn't cancelled, I'd be heading there to race. I'm just going by what has happened so far, and what the situation in general looks like in the US. I hope the race does in fact go off as planned.........I just don't believe it will happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Dunno about IMAZ with the recent incident of toxic waste spilling into Tempe town lake.

Certainly did not know that! So combined with Covid that should be enough to have it cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can still drain the lake and probably reroute the run course but yeah... just more obstacles.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those of you saying it might happen or other races may happen in 2020, are in a fantasy world. No chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
Those of you saying it might happen or other races may happen in 2020, are in a fantasy world. No chance.

We'll see... It's easy to be negative and assume the worst outcome. Weak. BTW, all the facts point to there being a real possibility of it happening.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

We'll see... It's easy to be negative and assume the worst outcome. Weak. BTW, all the facts point to there being a real possibility of it happening.

No, all facts point towards there being no chance of any of those races happening. It’s like I’m in bizarro world sometimes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the official word on St. George? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

No, all facts point towards there being no chance of any of those races happening. It’s like I’m in bizarro world sometimes.

I will agree with you there. We are all living in bizarro world. But if I listened to your point of view I would be eliminating all hopes of any racing in 2020 and 2021. Dude, there are all sorts of races already happening in Utah with over 1,000 participants. But whatever, you're the Slowtwitch COVID expert in charge. Jeez...we'll see.

------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next