Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: choosing a gravel bike [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a huge amount, but it works. No frame rub happening at all that I can see; I'd probably go down to 35 if I were changing them again though (but definitely stay tubeless). I've only done about 120km over 2 rides so far with it set up this way, and it's been fine. I'd def recommend a second wheel set with road tires on though. I'm in the process of grudgingly pricing out an SCS spare set right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only right answer is more bikes (and more wheelsets). I need a huge stable of legos to construct the perfect rig for any given event.

I certainly can relate to that ... the “simplicity” of 1x setups? I have 4 different chainrings with two separate chains that I use on my race XC bike depending on the course... and 3 different rings for the Crux along with a couple different wheelsets (race/training).

My bike stable currently has 5 steeds but that is only because I am down one waiting on a new Tarmac... For all those reading along you can probably tell already I have a unique and possibly not relatable approach here with all these different configurations and my tendency to run huge gears (48T gravel is pretty uncommon but I can power it and I love to hammer downhill too).

Quote:
I say this because in general a gravel bike is always going to be cheaper than a race hard tail or very light dual suspension trail bike.
My experience with Gravel bikes lately is that their prices have been going up with their status as the current hotness... that is actually part of the reason I bought the Crux, better value than the Diverge. In addition the brand new Orbea Alma M30 XC race hardtail is only $2500 msrp plus another $500 for that rigid suspension corrected fork to be able to run both ways... and it is seriously light weight too. Downside is it only supports a 34t ring in 1x or a 38t when setup as a 2x system.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [flowbytwo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree that the XC bike bleeds pretty far into gravel bike territory, depending on the terrain. The XC bike can ride anywhere the gravel bike can go, and comfortably so. Not always true the other way around.

That being said, I still enjoy taking my gravel bike out on the somewhat chunky gravel roads near me. I have an XC bike that weighs less than 23 lbs and is far more comfortable on gravel roads than my gravel bike, but I enjoy the challenge and experience of not being over-biked on my gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed... looking at the fleet when planning to head out on a big loop... the gravel option seems to come out on top more often that the others of late because it is just so much fun to ride. Some times the fat bike with the jumbo Jim’s comes out in the summer for the same reason; it’s just an all around good time and a fun day on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went Jamis renegade as geometry works for me
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
went Jamis renegade as geometry works for me

Picked up a demo Exploro frame for a decent price and will build it with Campy Potenza because I am a died in the wool aero weenie, I am always looking for a deal, I like components that last forever and it will be different from everybody else’s bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next