Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my position please [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve now fitted some 155mm cranks. I commuted on them yesterday. They feel a little odd when sitting up or climbing but once in position they feel good, more comfortable at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke.
I have left the seat position as was for now.

Video -
https://vimeo.com/447043747
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [PJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amazingly, i think your saddle is still on the high side. i think you also need to move it forward a bit. but it looks wayyyyy better than when this thread started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work. No expert but just eyeballing it the seat height still looks a fraction high.
What are your thoughts re extensions and hand positions? With essentially flat extensions like that you buck the trend for aero these days of getting hands into a higher position etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for comments,
I could try lowering the seat a little, but it does feel fine on the road, I think part of the issue with the videos is that I’m pedalling on the trainer outside due to not having room inside to film, and when it’s not connected up and turned on there is a lot of resistance, which I think makes it a bit hard to pedal smoothly.
I’ll hook up a computer and power and try again.
With the extension position- I have been looking at the high hands positions that it seems everybody is using now.
When I aero test using golden cheetah, I have always found that flat is better for me, as I move them up there is initially an area where the drag goes up a lot (which I guess is the increase in drag is due to the extra area of my forearms, but they are not high enough to hide behind). Then as I keep going up with the hands, the drag comes down, but not as low as straight. I also find that it is a bit unstable and difficult to see with high hands.
I’m sure it’s something I’ll revisit, but I think I might need a bit more reach, as I felt to cramped with hands up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJR wrote:
Cheers for comments,
I could try lowering the seat a little, but it does feel fine on the road, I think part of the issue with the videos is that I’m pedalling on the trainer outside due to not having room inside to film, and when it’s not connected up and turned on there is a lot of resistance, which I think makes it a bit hard to pedal smoothly.
I’ll hook up a computer and power and try again.
With the extension position- I have been looking at the high hands positions that it seems everybody is using now.
When I aero test using golden cheetah, I have always found that flat is better for me, as I move them up there is initially an area where the drag goes up a lot (which I guess is the increase in drag is due to the extra area of my forearms, but they are not high enough to hide behind). Then as I keep going up with the hands, the drag comes down, but not as low as straight. I also find that it is a bit unstable and difficult to see with high hands.
I’m sure it’s something I’ll revisit, but I think I might need a bit more reach, as I felt to cramped with hands up.

Just with the high hands position, I actually will feedback that I feel much more locked in with a high hands position but I think to get this locked in position you need to ensure that your arm rests are also tilted so you maximise your surface contact area. You can't just go to a high hands position without tilting your armrests as well (as many who tried out the tri-rig scoops discovered....).

Your point re the trainer resistance makes sense, your hips seem a bit jerky at the start of the video which is likely that high resistance as your knee angle did look OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJR wrote:
I could try lowering the seat a little, but it does feel fine on the road

It's not bad. If you can get more ankle mobility then you can self-select your leg extension to a degree, and a lower saddle and flatter foot tends to be more aero.

I think you're fine to start playing with the front end now. See if you can lower your torso and head a bit by scrunching down. Raise your hands a little and try to get your face close to your forearms.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its been a while, I've got another video

I have lowered the seat a little more, i have lowered the front end, i've changed the bars to some J style ones which i find more comfortable, but i do still have my arms pretty straight.
I have done some more commuting in this position and find it reasonably comfortably.

any thoughts much appreciated

Video- https://vimeo.com/453302435
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jumping in late on this one. Lower the seat another 1 cm. You look like you are reaching a bit.

Is that an Arione Tri2?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Trent, I have lowered the seat a little further, seat is a road San Marco, I will be getting a more suitable seat at some time, although I do find it reasonably comfortable.

Peter

Video with seat lower
https://vimeo.com/453354079
Last edited by: PJR: Aug 31, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks better. I think a different seat would help with posture, but perfect doesn't need to be the enemy of good.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply

Prev Next