Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my position please
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I’m new on here so please go gently on me!
I’m trying to improve my 10 and 25 mile TT times, I have been riding my road bike with clip on bars, but it became apparent that I couldn’t get the seat far enough forward or the front low enough.
So any excuse- I bought a TT frame, I have put it together with a load of bits I already had, so drop bars and clip ons for now, just to try to work out position before buying more bits.
I’m reasonable comfortable and can see clearly down the road in this position.
Cheers for any advice

Finally
https://vimeo.com/437846140

It’s a 53cm frame
165mm cranks
I’m 169cm
69kg
Last edited by: PJR: Jul 13, 20 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [PJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*insert default slowtwitch reply here*

(aka "your saddle's too high")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I couldn’t get a vid to upload so I’ve put a link to a clip on Vimeo

Any comments welcome....
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The saddle is actually too high lol. Not an expert (not even close), but if you pause the video right at 0:03, your leg is almost fully extended and you are still ankling (toes down) to reach the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. There is a bit of rocking too probably from the leg over-extension.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did think it was a little high, when I looked at the video, I’ll drop that down a little tonight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJR wrote:
Yes, I did think it was a little high, when I looked at the video, I’ll drop that down a little tonight

From my amateur eye agree the seat is a tad too high...I would probably drop it by a cm and see how it looks again (post a video). Also, does your trainer need a riser block to keep it level. It actually does not look bad otherwise aero wise from the side. What frame are you using? What size cranks are you using? Is there any reason you have gone with road bike bars with clip ons and not a full TT set up (granted you would need an entire cockpit). Just you will be able to get more aero, and have less stuff out in the wind from the road bars and a lot lot more adjustability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJR wrote:
Hi all,
I’m trying to improve my 10 and 25 mile TT times, I have been riding my road bike with clip on bars, but it became apparent that I couldn’t get the seat far enough forward or the front low enough.
So any excuse- I bought a TT frame, I have put it together with a load of bits I already had, so drop bars and clip ons for now, just to try to work out position before buying more bits.
Cheers for any advice

Finally

It’s a 53cm frame
165mm cranks
I’m 169cm
69kg

i disagree with everyone, your saddle is WAY too high.

otherwise your position is good, but will need to look again once you lower it quite a bit (>2cm prob).
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok cheers for the comments, I’ll get the seat a couple of cms lower tonight, and do another video.

It’s a 53cm frame with 165mm cranks.
I’m using the drop bars because I haven’t got anything else at the moment!
When I’m happy with the position I’ll get some more suitable ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I lower the seat by 2cm should I also lower the front by 2cm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a blower to clean the roof of your shed?

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
PJR wrote:
Hi all,
Cheers for any advice

Finally

It’s a 53cm frame
165mm cranks
I’m 169cm
69kg

i disagree with everyone, your saddle is WAY too high.

otherwise your position is good, but will need to look again once you lower it quite a bit (>2cm prob).

2cm? I'd say start with 2". Seriously.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I’ve lowered seat by 20mm and here’s another video

https://vimeo.com/437966489
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No time to clean shed, too many bikes to play with.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you need to come down at least that much again, the pedal stroke still looks clunky. Your front end will obviously need to be adjusted afterwards as well.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
Looks like you need to come down at least that much again, the pedal stroke still looks clunky. Your front end will obviously need to be adjusted afterwards as well.

+1

You are still reaching for the pedal at 6:00. As noted, the front end should come down as well. You have a good back position in the first video and don't want to lose that.

Current video:

Original video:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I’ll drop the seat down more. I’ve also got some aero bars I can put on which are lower to match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve also still got a big spacer under the stem, so plenty of adjustment available.

Again many thanks for your input, I’ll do another video in the morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If spacer removal isn't enough, move to a -17deg stem (// to the top tube).

My go to is the Kalloy UNO (https://www.ebay.com/...f:g:UzEAAOSwOC1ddx9F ). Light, inexpensive.

Edit note: If that's a 1" fork steerer, you will need an adapter sleeve (most current stems are for 1-1/8" steerers). Also make sure that handlebars are 31.8 clamp dia (not 26.0). That's an older bike, so not sure what was spec'd.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 13, 20 16:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJR wrote:
Yes, I’ll drop the seat down more. I’ve also got some aero bars I can put on which are lower to match.

if that second video was 20mm lower, i'd go down 3 more. like the poster a few above me said, it might be at least a couple of inches high, literally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change of background today- raining

I’ve gone down with the saddle by another 20mm, and fitted some aero bars, which have dropped the front a little, bit not as much as the seat. (Still got spacers to go lower at front.)

The bottom of the stroke definitely feels more comfortable and less of a stretch, although it is starting to feel a little cramped at the top of the stroke.
I think the pedalling feels smoother, but now feel as if I need to raise the saddle a little. Maybe 5mm.

Video
https://vimeo.com/438088041
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a shorter crank arm length.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my position please [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use 165mm on all my bikes because of my short legs, but I think your right, for this use shorter would be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a LR Series? Think I can just about spot the leaf spring hanger there. More pics of that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of saddle is that? I think you could still go lower but getting you steeper and more rotated would also be a goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem a lot more stable and solid in this position.
Quote Reply

Prev Next