Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

I guess I am basically saying. In the fall job 1 should be kids in masks, then move to attempting to educate. But nothing should happen till 100% compliance with the wearing of masks.


And this is why I’m considering private school.

Why should a ton of children sit around missing out on school because a few kids can’t wear a mask? Throw them in the gym and let the other kids move on. Or send them home for a year and they can re-start next year in the same grade.


Wait so a private school teacher / administrator can get a kid to keep a mask on but a public school one can't?

WHY?


Parents that care....


They can kick out kids for non-compliance easier.

And parents are more invested if for no other reason than that they're cutting a tuition check.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

I guess I am basically saying. In the fall job 1 should be kids in masks, then move to attempting to educate. But nothing should happen till 100% compliance with the wearing of masks.


And this is why I’m considering private school.

Why should a ton of children sit around missing out on school because a few kids can’t wear a mask? Throw them in the gym and let the other kids move on. Or send them home for a year and they can re-start next year in the same grade.


Wait so a private school teacher / administrator can get a kid to keep a mask on but a public school one can't?

WHY?


Parents that care....


They can kick out kids for non-compliance easier.

They can also determine who they choose.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to bump this, now that the landscape is getting murkier here in the South. As many know, we start schools...soon. In my area of East TN (Think Dollywood/Knoxville), some start this Friday. Plus, wife is a teacher, who lost her job in March, due to Covid - she was an interim Science Teacher for MS.

Here's what is happening here...

COMPLETE SHIT SHOW.

Wife went on an interview this week, principal was not wearing a mask. This particular County mask solution is no solution. Shit you not. Its not mandatory. (quick side note...one issue I see moving forward in schools, is the ever moving goal posts and how that affects the younger kids - no masks one week, mask up the next, Plus seeing a principal and staff members not wearing a mask - follow by example).

The county I live in totally fucked up back in March and kids have basically been out of school here since. Zero on line learning, bc not all kids have internet and computer access.

Chromebooks now getting passed out to school system.

On line hybrid model put in place. Parents have until Midnight tonight to decicde - go or no-go back in person. The go/no-go plan was announced ONE WEEK AGO. So far, only 5% of students are going back on line only. That's approx 5000 kids.

Suffice to say, wife's phone is ringing off the hook now. Most administrators are saying, "got the call last night of another teacher resignation."

As I said...complete shit show in East TN.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As I said...complete shit show in East TN.

Why am I not surprised it's a shit show. Good luck to your wife in whatever she decides.

Kansas City suburbs (Kansas side - DeSoto district) - They have a plan online (https://www.usd232.org/...ult.aspx?PageID=8382) and the governor of Kansas has postponed all schools to September 9th.

My nephew and wife are fine with the 1st grader doing online but his sister is non-verbal and online in March/April actually made things even worse. She attends regular class part of the day and then works with her paraprofessional the other part of the day. Her special ed program cannot be done online and that is all up in the air at this point.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts, for my wife. She might be 50, but she's very computer savvy and super intelligent. I think she's devising a plan to work with some small home-school co-op programs part time, and tutor to fill in the gaps.

FWIW, the break down is at100% at the administrative level. Who the F waits until mid July to roll out a plan that goes into affect in 2-3 weeks? Teachers are running for the hills. I think the subject line of this post needs to be closer to 30-40 of teachers not returning.

I want to scream this..."all the safety protocol that our kids will endure, 100% of it, will be implemented at the teacher level." and grade/testing expectations will not be adjusted.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satchmo wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts, for my wife. She might be 50, but she's very computer savvy and super intelligent. I think she's devising a plan to work with some small home-school co-op programs part time, and tutor to fill in the gaps.

FWIW, the break down is at100% at the administrative level. Who the F waits until mid July to roll out a plan that goes into affect in 2-3 weeks? Teachers are running for the hills. I think the subject line of this post needs to be closer to 30-40 of teachers not returning.

I want to scream this..."all the safety protocol that our kids will endure, 100% of it, will be implemented at the teacher level." and grade/testing expectations will not be adjusted.

Once the kids get back in school, all of those parents who said teachers were worth every penny and they couldn't do their job will be complaining about teachers making too much money and not working hard enough.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts, for my wife. She might be 50, but she's very computer savvy and super intelligent. I think she's devising a plan to work with some small home-school co-op programs part time, and tutor to fill in the gaps.

FWIW, the break down is at100% at the administrative level. Who the F waits until mid July to roll out a plan that goes into affect in 2-3 weeks? Teachers are running for the hills. I think the subject line of this post needs to be closer to 30-40 of teachers not returning.

I want to scream this..."all the safety protocol that our kids will endure, 100% of it, will be implemented at the teacher level." and grade/testing expectations will not be adjusted.


Once the kids get back in school, all of those parents who said teachers were worth every penny and they couldn't do their job will be complaining about teachers making too much money and not working hard enough.

I want to admit an old fault of mine. I used to think that. Then...second marriage (for both) and married a teacher. I don't think that any longer. During "normal times" and during the school year, she works 60-70 hour work weeks. And this summer, she has been working nonstop getting prepared for online teaching.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been massively impressed with the back to school protocols and plans of our districts even though they are not yet pertinent. No decision made on which plan will be used, but they have done a superb job of having well thought out and informed plans created and ready to be implemented
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In our area we have seen a delay in starting school this fall. Our district is doing both online and in-person. We are opting to keep our daughter home and do online learning. It's ashame as she is starting HS this year. I truly believe it is just a matter of time before everyone is back to online only. There is virtually no way you don't see covid cases.

I know people are being critical of schools and districts. I believe a lot of the problem with the delays in plans came from the hope that state gov would make some concrete decisions on what is allowed. Unfortunately that never came. We finally have a state mask order though. I don't think this is a good excuse as they should have been planning since May.

Lucky for me my wife is an ex-teacher, full time Tutor, so my kid is in good hands to keep up academically. I do feel for families where they do not have the necessary training to teach.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I have been massively impressed with the back to school protocols and plans of our districts even though they are not yet pertinent. No decision made on which plan will be used, but they have done a superb job of having well thought out and informed plans created and ready to be implemented


My wife's school will be going back on September 2. This is a week later than normal. They are currently letting parents decide on online or in person. They have until the end of July to decide. My wife has been teaching over 27 years and acquired a lot of stuff for her classes and now pretty much has to clean her class out of everything. They are only allowed 1 file cabinet and one standing cabinet.

They have been working on curriculum all summer.

Green

  • in person classes with 6 feet separation between students
  • lunch in classrooms
  • separate recess (not sure why even having recess since they can't play together
  • no sharing of anything
Yellow
  • Monday & Tuesday (1/2 class on-line, 1/2 class in person)
  • Wednesday & Thursday (opposite group from first of week)
  • Friday (everybody online)

Red
  • Everybody online 5 days


_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know if it’s all administrators to blame. I feel like there’s been little guidance from the federal/state level and each district has been on their own to figure things out. Combined with what I think is not a whole lot of additional funds to be able to open up schools safely.

It’s tough to make a local plan without top down guidance and funds to be able to make things happen that would need to be put in place.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I don’t know if it’s all administrators to blame. I feel like there’s been little guidance from the federal/state level and each district has been on their own to figure things out. Combined with what I think is not a whole lot of additional funds to be able to open up schools safely.

It’s tough to make a local plan without top down guidance and funds to be able to make things happen that would need to be put in place.

Local control of schools is significantly better than the alternative. Our districts did it others could as well.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I don’t know if it’s all administrators to blame. I feel like there’s been little guidance from the federal/state level and each district has been on their own to figure things out. Combined with what I think is not a whole lot of additional funds to be able to open up schools safely.

It’s tough to make a local plan without top down guidance and funds to be able to make things happen that would need to be put in place.
What do you mean there has been no guidance from federal? Trump administration was pretty clear last week - have in person school or watch your funding get cut (nevermind most comes states). Science be damned. It is all a Democratic ploy to win the election. Didn't you get that memo? Devon even reiterated that position on the Sunday talk shows.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did an initial survey of parents on their preferences between your "yellow" and "red" in my district. 95% went with the yellow. They were gearing up for a formal decision for each student next week. Then one by one every other district around us changed from giving parents a choice to just going full online to start the year. We were the last district to pull the plug, but they didn't really have a choice by then.

So we are online for the foreseeable future. No delay because they already know the kids are behind from last spring and being online isn't gong to help catch them up.


I will also say that yes, some teachers are showing they are worth their pay and more. Then there are those than haven't been able to adapt. My second grader's online instruction was a disaster compared to my fourth grader's. I know it is harder with second graders, but did she really need to spend half of her virtual class talking about her cat? Every day we said hi to the cat and learned what the cat did last night. The other half of the class was the teacher having IT issues or getting angry with the kids for not muting themselves (she has the ability to mute each of them from her end).
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW my wife is supposed to go back to teaching in 2 days. The student start date was pushed back to late August. Anyway it has been such a shit show here in Florida with 0 communication and 0 consideration from the board/admin she is quitting. We are keeping the kids out of school until at least January as well. It just isn't worth the risk to her or our family. Everyone in our circle said she'd be insane to go in this year. It will be interesting to see how many quit, go out on med leave and/or strike in the coming weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's all last minute crazy here in the ATL area. We are are going to be all Virtual to start the year on the 17th of August(pushed back from original start date of the 3rd) with monthly Board of Ed reviews, that was decided back around the 17th of July.

That being said, we just talked with my son's teacher from last year(who has been doing some summer tutoring for both our kids) and she doesn't even know what the Virtual is going to look like or how it will be structured. I heard at least the other big district, Gwinnett, has stated that their Virtual learning will be anchored by having teachers report to the classroom and "broadcast" via zoom or whatever the lessons each day like a typical school day.
2 local private schools have an approach I like better, virtual for middle and high, and in person for elementary. Spreading out their elementary students across their entire campuses. But that is probably easier to do with just one cluster.

The other big thing popping up are the Pods. Wife and I aren't on facebook, so we missed out on the early stages, but we just got a few invites this past weekend to join a few 6-8 kid Pods(same grade level and parents hire a private tutor to supplement or just full on home school their kids). One was 3.5 hours 3 days a week. All I can say is... the private tutors are making bank during this crisis if this is widespread. They could easily pull down close to six figures for a 10 month school year. Anyone else seeing this?
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [onboost91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sorry your wife felt the need to quit. One of my friends just put in for a leave of absence.

My school has 6 openings on the district webpage and already filled at least two. Our district now has generic openings for every skill set- not sure if it’s just waiting to fill holes as people opt out or for long term subs as they become needed. They are full time classified though. So I think they are just trying to recruit as teachers drop out.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am sure there are a bunch of tutors who can charge a premium I am guessing most of these tutors are going to be making between 25-50 an hour for 4-8 kids. (We are paying ours 25 an hour for 30 hours a week).

Not saying it is bad money. But you are probably talking between 50-75g if you are working full time.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three weeks from starting hybrid we were just told all virtual til end of Sept. they had one case the first day of a pre-high school program and apparently a ton of teachers quit or took leave. My teacher friend was called by her principal to see if she would reconsider given they are going all online.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three weeks from starting hybrid we were just told all virtual til end of Sept. they had one case the first day of a pre-high school program and apparently a ton of teachers quit or took leave.//

Ya this thread is not going to age well for a lot of the earlier positions folks were taking. Hate to say I told you so, but for the life of me, I cannot see how people could not see the place and direction we were going a month ago, or even a couple weeks. There never was going to be in person school this semester outside a few outliers, and all that energy and time was just wasted, instead of put into the new virtual school paradigm. Now it is the mad last minute scramble again, which got us very little in the last months or the previous school year,, )-;
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Three weeks from starting hybrid we were just told all virtual til end of Sept. they had one case the first day of a pre-high school program and apparently a ton of teachers quit or took leave. My teacher friend was called by her principal to see if she would reconsider given they are going all online.

We have around a hundred active cases in our province of 5 million right now, and teacher unions are putting up a big stink about going back. I can't see how this plan is going to work. I figure that, as you mention, the second one person gets diagnosed the whole school will be shut down. People will refuse to work, etc. Considering the start of the school year is also the start of flu season, any time someone sneezes there will be mass hysteria.

I can't see in person school lasting more then a few weeks up here.

Proud citizen of Long Chile.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our governor rolled out a detailed plan:

School districts decide but will rely on these parameters:

Total # of cases for 14 last days/ (county population/10,000) = 14 day county case level rate per 10k

0-9 = in person learning
10-19 in person for elementary/hybrid for secondary
20-29 hybrid for all
30-49 hybrid for elementary/distance for secondary
50+ distance learning for all

If children or teachers want to attend school 100% remote they can. Not sure how that will work for elementary teachers. Right now I'm waiting on my school district to decide what to do. Our score is about a 14 right now.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sitting on a board meeting at our school 25% of teachers had a legal right to an exemption from in person teaching. They said it was a big factor into the decision to go virtual. They could have done elementary but not middle with available staffing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next