Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Calling it here now....I think getting into races in 2021 will be -very- difficult because there won't be any, or very very few, races in 2021. Covid isn't magically going away in 6 months.

Sure covid isn’t going away. My hope is that we magically start allowing people to make their own choices like we do with the rest of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Calling it here now....I think getting into races in 2021 will be -very- difficult because there won't be any, or very very few, races in 2021. Covid isn't magically going away in 6 months.

Plus the number of registrants will be capped. I'm not sure how they will pull it off with the numbers that signed up in 2019. Circumstances were different. How do you lower the numbers when people automatically all got deferred. I think they might have to issue some refunds to create necessary spacing.
WTC certainly needs to change their policy soon.

There is what, 5 or 6 full IMs left in 2020? At least half of those will be cancelled

They should, at a minimum, adopt the airlines approach to this. Allow the participants who cancels or their race that is cancelled/postponed to have their fees converted to "Ironman credits" to use for any upcoming IM or 70.3 within a time period and charge a "processing fee" if they must
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
WFPB Athlete wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Plus the number of registrants will be capped. I'm not sure how they will pull it off with the numbers that signed up in 2019. Circumstances were different. How do you lower the numbers when people automatically all got deferred. I think they might have to issue some refunds to create necessary spacing.

There is what, 5 or 6 full IMs left in 2020? At least half of those will be cancelled

They should, at a minimum, adopt the airlines approach to this. Allow the participants who cancels or their race that is cancelled/postponed to have their fees converted to "Ironman credits" to use for any upcoming IM or 70.3 within a time period and charge a "processing fee" if they must

2020 has been cancelled since January. I don't know why you're playing this game.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much longer there will be any Ironman events? How long can a for profit organization exist without a source of significant revenue? How long will sponsors hang with Ironman when there are no events? How much longer will racers sign up for events that may not happen? Crazy times!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I have no problem with them not offering refunds. If they gave refunds to everyone there capital would be drained. At least by offerings towards future races they have the revenue from the fees they have collected to hold them over. Its essentially as though they have sold millions in gift cards. That said, the years going forward will likely be pretty tough because in 2021 they will have barely any incoming revenue because it will be full of all deferrals.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
...... because in 2021 they will have barely any incoming revenue because it will be full of all deferrals.

And there will not be any racing.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [trigirl2013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you did it in the pissing rain with 500 dropouts on the bike, and that idiot on the run course who shouted for 5 solid hours (but the guy with the harmonica was neat.)
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jul 7, 20 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's a bummer.

I do wish IM would offer refunds but they are a business so they are trying to do what they can I guess.

Not the best options for deferment but I went with Texas. Not holding my breath on that one either BUT, it will keep me motivated to keep training. Even if it's cancelled the week of, it still keeps me pushing and I'm all for that.
Last edited by: taldesigns: Jul 7, 20 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will most likely defer to Texas since I’m in Austin and it allows me to not make any significant travel plans in preparation for a venue change. For those choosing TX, heads up. The state Fair announced today that it is being canceled. The fair is usually held in Dallas around the Cotton Bowl a coincides with the TX/OU football game which is usually the 2nd week in October. If there is any concern for Covid in October, I doubt the race will happen.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
I wonder how much longer there will be any Ironman events? How long can a for profit organization exist without a source of significant revenue? How long will sponsors hang with Ironman when there are no events? How much longer will racers sign up for events that may not happen? Crazy times!

I’ll admit that this is the question in my mind too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [urbansombrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used their customer service ticket system from the website, explained the situation, posted a screenshot of my original confirmation email Louisville transfer, and then today they sent me the reg link options for Louisville participants following the cancellation.

Ez pz. The only one that has a chance to actually go is chatty ‘21, so at least I haven’t had to eat my money yet and can just keep kicking this can down road...

Interesting how they handle from an accounting perspective for them... signed up for IMSG in Aug 19... that same reg money has now pinballed between the different cost centers over at IM, first to IMSG, then Louisville, now Chatty, booked for an event happening 25 mo after I made my original payment.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Used their customer service ticket system from the website, explained the situation, posted a screenshot of my original confirmation email Louisville transfer, and then today they sent me the reg link options for Louisville participants following the cancellation.

Ez pz. The only one that has a chance to actually go is chatty ‘21, so at least I haven’t had to eat my money yet and can just keep kicking this can down road...

Interesting how they handle from an accounting perspective for them... signed up for IMSG in Aug 19... that same reg money has now pinballed between the different cost centers over at IM, first to IMSG, then Louisville, now Chatty, booked for an event happening 25 mo after I made my original payment.

I can almost guarantee you they booked that revenue the minute you clicked send.........

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
WFPB Athlete wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

2020 has been cancelled since January. I don't know why you're playing this game.

Wait, so you're telling me it won't just disappear and we won't just start racing again?!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. It will disappear sometime mid November. H1N1 just disappeared and they still don’t have a vaccination for it. UNLESS this thing is just their excuse to vaccinate everyone.

As far as closing this race. I knew when they moved it to October it was just a matter of time. IM Louisville in August is what made it special. Changing the date and the bike course killed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Yes. It will disappear sometime mid November. H1N1 just disappeared and they still don’t have a vaccination for it. UNLESS this thing is just their excuse to vaccinate everyone.

This was meant to be in pink, right?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:

.............. IM Louisville in August is what made it special..............

As a 2xIM Lou finisher in August, I wholeheartedly agree!

Changing the date and the bike course killed it.

Weren't the changes to the bike course very minor? I know they took out the "out & back" (a good thing in my opinion) and added a little loop through a neighborhood, right?

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote BGildenstern

Could always roll the dice and chose 2020 Chatty. There is a 99% chance that race doesn't happen and they will then offer you 2021 Chatty deferral and likely 3 other options. Maybe those races will work better? Worst case scenario, you race![/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure. I deferred a 2020 70.3 to another 2020 70.3. Being proactive I reached out to the second RD and was told they will not be offering neither deferrals nor refunds from that race.

Now both races are contracted races and not WTC owned races which may mean a different final outcome.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Yes. It will disappear sometime mid November.

I hope that was an attempt at sarcasm and you’re actually not that stupid.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TrekGeek wrote:

Didn’t that prognosis come from a presidential coronavirus press briefing? Maybe another malady will end in early November.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TrekGeek wrote:

Didn’t that prognosis come from a presidential coronavirus press briefing? Maybe another malady will end in early November.

I believe he also thought it would just go away when the weather got warmer and we see how well that worked out...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next