Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021
Quote | Reply
Just saw someone post on Facebook:

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the direction and recommendations of public health agencies and local authorities in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health triathlon, originally scheduled for October 11 cannot take place in 2020 and will not return in 2021. IRONMAN officials are working to determine options for possible future IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 event locations in Kentucky.
All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions or do not receive the email with further information, please contact louisville@ironman.com.
In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but look forward to providing athletes with an exceptional race experience in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2020 makes sense but sad they aren't going back in 2021. That was where I did my first Ironman so sucks to see it go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Raced it in 2015, it was a great venue and the city seemed to embrace the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not completely surprised that this year's race has been cancelled. I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they only extended the contract through this year so maybe the city decided not to honor it in 2021?

I did LOU in 2018 and 2019. While the swim was shortened in 2018 and cancelled in 2019, I really enjoyed that race and would do it again. I loved the bike course and the revised run course had great crowd support. The finish line was awesome and I loved how I would be able to park my car and leave it for the weekend since everything was within walking distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprised, but am miffed by the options to transfer to the 2020 events that are all getting cancelled.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they're offering their registrants 4 options:

1.) transfer to 2020 IM Maryland
2.) transfer to 2020 IM Chatt
3.) transfer to 2020 IM TX
4.) deferral 2021 IM Chatt

Must select one of the options by July 16th.

Definitely a bummer, but not totally unexpected. All the uproar with the police dept probably isn't helping matters either. Just hoping they can at least bring a 70.3 back.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although it’s getting difficult, I choose to continue to stay positive......who knows what could happen.... say news of a breakthrough treatment comes next month or we do get a viable vaccine that can be scaled before the new year.....

These towns and municipalities will be starving for tourists, and events, and revenue , and maybe Louisville will be as eager for Ironman to return as the participants!

Hope springs eternal. I never did the race but did spectate, great bourbon, great town!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [quadomatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet, Ironman still calls it "Postponed"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Just saw someone post on Facebook:

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the direction and recommendations of public health agencies and local authorities in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health triathlon, originally scheduled for October 11 cannot take place in 2020 and will not return in 2021. IRONMAN officials are working to determine options for possible future IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 event locations in Kentucky.
All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions or do not receive the email with further information, please contact louisville@ironman.com.
In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but look forward to providing athletes with an exceptional race experience in the future.

Should have moved it from August to May. October weather can be 90F or 40F. One year it was brutally cold steady rain.

First weekend of May is Derby. Any other weekend even June would be fine.

IM Lexington 70.3 has a nice ring.
Last edited by: WFPB Athlete: Jul 6, 20 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [quadomatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quadomatic wrote:

Definitely a bummer, but not totally unexpected. All the uproar with the police dept probably isn't helping matters either. Just hoping they can at least bring a 70.3 back.

Not overly excited about the options but it is Chatty 2021 for me

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, quite a move to cancel 2021 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
quadomatic wrote:

My question is. What happens when everyone picks Chatty 2021? Im signed up for Chatt 2020 and seems more and more there is a slim chance it goes off. If it gets cancelled and they have filled that race up with Louisville peeps, what will they offer all the Chatt 2020 entries? Feels like an endless cycle they are putting themselves in and might be better to flat out refund a couple of these races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [jfk1117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfk1117 wrote:
My question is. What happens when everyone picks Chatty 2021? Im signed up for Chatt 2020 and seems more and more there is a slim chance it goes off. If it gets cancelled and they have filled that race up with Louisville peeps, what will they offer all the Chatt 2020 entries? Feels like an endless cycle they are putting themselves in and might be better to flat out refund a couple of these races.

It’s obviously going to be pretty tough to get into races next year, even if you assume life goes back to normal. I think they should consider offering like half refunds or something so they can re-sell unwanted slots at full fare.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jfk1117 wrote:
Billabong wrote:
quadomatic wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

When IM originally came to Louisville, the initial pitch was for a 70.3. So hopefully they can go back to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
quadomatic wrote:

Could always roll the dice and chose 2020 Chatty. There is a 99% chance that race doesn't happen and they will then offer you 2021 Chatty deferral and likely 3 other options. Maybe those races will work better? Worst case scenario, you race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
jfk1117 wrote:
Billabong wrote:
quadomatic wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

When IM originally came to Louisville, the initial pitch was for a 70.3. So hopefully they can go back to that.

Lolz. Forgot I wasn’t speaking logically.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is sad news. I always wanted to go back. I did the race in August 2011 & August 2012.

I would definitely support an IM 70.3 Louisville!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was checking my email, looking for why I didn’t get a cancellation with referral options...

Turns out, when I registered the transfer from IMSG, I didn’t do so successfully. I got a confirmation of my selection registration and a follow up link that I had to register with... and didn’t actually complete my registration on the follow up link.

So now I’m really confused what my options are. I’ll email Ironman and report out what I find...surely I’m not the only idiot who missed that... but maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same think with Tulsa. They told me I was just deferred to the next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
I was checking my email, looking for why I didn’t get a cancellation with referral options...

Turns out, when I registered the transfer from IMSG, I didn’t do so successfully. I got a confirmation of my selection registration and a follow up link that I had to register with... and didn’t actually complete my registration on the follow up link.

So now I’m really confused what my options are. I’ll email Ironman and report out what I find...surely I’m not the only idiot who missed that... but maybe?

No, you are not the only idiot. I am in the same boat as you. Please do post what you find out.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting into a race in 2021 will be difficult. IM should consider allowing participants to transfer to another racer. They could collect a small fee. I understand the no refund policy. I was hit with two races being cancelled. But they could offer a 50% refund and the open up registration at full price.

I’m sure they’ve thought of all this. 2020 was suppose to be my last year racing triathlons. I guess 2019 was my last year.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Getting into a race in 2021 will be difficult. IM should consider allowing participants to transfer to another racer. They could collect a small fee. I understand the no refund policy. I was hit with two races being cancelled. But they could offer a 50% refund and the open up registration at full price.

I’m sure they’ve thought of all this. 2020 was suppose to be my last year racing triathlons. I guess 2019 was my last year.

Done? How old are you? Why???
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calling it here now....I think getting into races in 2021 will be -very- difficult because there won't be any, or very very few, races in 2021. Covid isn't magically going away in 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya... im holding my breath my "a" race in november will still go on (in texas) but even now i still have my doubts. 2020 has become a year of simply trying to get faster over enjoying some races.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville done for 2020 AND 2021 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Calling it here now....I think getting into races in 2021 will be -very- difficult because there won't be any, or very very few, races in 2021. Covid isn't magically going away in 6 months.

Plus the number of registrants will be capped. I'm not sure how they will pull it off with the numbers that signed up in 2019. Circumstances were different. How do you lower the numbers when people automatically all got deferred. I think they might have to issue some refunds to create necessary spacing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next