Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [barcino_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barcino_tri wrote:
The Alpe d'Huez triathlon just cancelled: https://www.alpetriathlon.com/...athlon-2020/?lang=en

Well I guess, I have 15 months now to shave off these extra 5 kilos so I can climb with some degree of performance. It seems like this Covid19 is adding a half kilo per week even though I am training 15-18 hrs per week....its all the sitting around in between and not walking at all.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
@StaffanS What's your take on The Netherlands? They've also banned all events until September.
I have no clue if it’s the right way to go or not.

But from a personal perspective, in a way, I think it is better to just say that things like sporting events will be put on hold until (at least) a certain date. It is mentally draining to get your hopes up and have the door slammed in your face time after time. I rather know that I have to endure until a certain date and “shut off” until then.

All events are on hold in Sweden as well and no one knows when they will resume. For me as a participant it doesn’t really matter, I’m injured and can’t run so triathlons are out of the question currently anyway... But at least I am both able and allowed to bike outside (and swim at the communal pool), so I’m pretty happy in that sense.

To be on topic for the thread, however, it sucks immensely that the TdF is postponed. I had booked flight tickets to be in Nice for the grand depart and the opening stages. I also work in a company group that has affiliations with several pro tour teams, so I had hopes to be able to go a bit behind the scenes when in Nice. First world problem, I know. But still...
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
TriStart wrote:
@StaffanS What's your take on The Netherlands? They've also banned all events until September.

But from a personal perspective, in a way, I think it is better to just say that things like sporting events will be put on hold until (at least) a certain date. It is mentally draining to get your hopes up and have the door slammed in your face time after time. I rather know that I have to endure until a certain date and “shut off” until then.

All events are on hold in Sweden as well and no one knows when they will resume. For me as a participant it doesn’t really matter, I’m injured and can’t run so triathlons are out of the question currently anyway... But at least I am both able and allowed to bike outside (and swim at the communal pool), so I’m pretty happy in that sense.

To be on topic for the thread, however, it sucks immensely that the TdF is postponed. I had booked flight tickets to be in Nice for the grand depart and the opening stages. I also work in a company group that has affiliations with several pro tour teams, so I had hopes to be able to go a bit behind the scenes when in Nice. First world problem, I know. But still...

This entire forum is first world problems, so no need to downplay that you are going to miss the grand depart. Any chance you will go for the new grand depart date assuming France allows visitors?
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
TriStart wrote:

This entire forum is first world problems, so no need to downplay that you are going to miss the grand depart. Any chance you will go for the new grand depart date assuming France allows visitors?
If possible, I will definitely go.

I am not getting my hopes up about it. But it would be a great experience.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have not been to a TdF major stage definitely worth it. I was in in Bourg d'Oisans for the 2004 Lance vs Jan vs Ivan Basso uphill TT and got to go spend time with the Team CSC/Cervelo team van/warmup area because one of the French journalists was trying to interview Cervelo co founder Phil White and the journalist did not speak English and Phil did not speak French so I subbed in as a translator and ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in rider warmup zone LOL with no media pass or anything! Then I left at rider number 30 (Erik Zabel) and walked up a good chunk of the mountain to catch the top 30 up to switchback 8 or so. (combo walking and jogging up the mountain with riders).

Definitely go for the first world problems :-)...oh and if you can swim, I am totally needing to live vicariously through your swims (and hopefully your TdF trip)
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [barcino_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barcino_tri wrote:
The Alpe d'Huez triathlon just cancelled: https://www.alpetriathlon.com/...athlon-2020/?lang=en

It is good that they are treating entrants well and doing this early. There will be no racing in France before September, if at all this year.

Let’s see how long IM Vichy takes to cancel! I bet they wait until the mandated 50 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
TriStart wrote:

If possible, I will definitely go.

I am not getting my hopes up about it. But it would be a great experience.

You may need to be in Nice on 29 Aug:

https://www.velonews.com/...t-29-tour-de-france/
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t want to be a party pooper but it is highly unlikely you will get into the country.

Each region of France has been given a red, Amber or green category. The easements starting May 11th depending on what region you are in.

We are in a green region and will be able to travel a maximum of 100km, but advised to only do that if necessary. The further north you go the more likely to be red and more strictly controlled,

Sporting events are banned until September so this seems contrary to govt policy.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, Embrunman race in August is still planned and they want to organise it:
https://www.embrunman.com
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, unlikely anyone from North America will get into France by September, but maybe from rest of EU?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Yeah, unlikely anyone from North America will get into France by September, but maybe from rest of EU?

Let’s hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

As per the website, and in contradiction to the announcement from the French PM, Embrunman will go ahead as planned on August 15th.

As far as I can see, the relay race has been cancelled, and these people will be refunded. Athletes registered for the main race have to try and sell their ticket to retrieve (some) of their cash.

I guess this will keep the total number of participants well below the cap of 900.

Currently 550 places have been sold, with each participant allowed to bring a support crew of max 2. Apparently athletes have to file a request, as the family relation will be checked.

All this to keep to total number of people involved below 5000 (athletes, support/family, volunteers, etc…).

According to the RD, people (supporters) along the side of the cycle/run course will not be included in the total number of 5000, but of course they will have to follow the rules of social distancing.

It is obvious the RD counts on all the travel bans being lifted by August 15th.

Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [18Argon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be shocked if this happens.

France has just said they are going to introduce a mandatory 2 week quarantine when they eventually open the borders.

As it stands at the moment even people living in France more than 100 km away won’t be able to travel as it is non essential. Not sure what zone they are in but if it is red not a chance in heck. The lakes are still off limits even in green zones.

They simply won’t get permission off the prefecture. Macron has said twice now that the ban on sporting events will remain in place until September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to get this kind of information. A lot of the main items are mentioned in news reports here in Belgium, but not the facts about the lakes being closed, or the colored zones.

Looking at the FB-page (which has now a private status as of last weekend), a lot of posters are agreeing with your views.

And yet, the RD seems very confident! Apparently he already has spoken to the préfecture and according to the authorities, all is good to go... They seemingly approved the plans he proposed regarding T1/T2, swimstart,finishline, etc...

Let us see how this unfolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
It is good that they are treating entrants well and doing this early. There will be no racing in France before September, if at all this year.

Let’s see how long IM Vichy takes to cancel! I bet they wait until the mandated 50 days.

They pushed 70.3 Aix back to September 27th, but I'm not particularly optimistic that will happen either... I'm signed up for both Aix and 70.3 Vichy, but fairly sure both will end up being early registrations for 2021, especially as I'll be coming from across the border in Switzerland to race them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Criterium du Dauphine is supposed to also be going on in roughly the same time period as Embrunman. Perhaps all of this is being supported in a warmup to get the region ready for the Tour de France. It kinds of makes sense that you want to gradually turn on this aspect of the economic infrastructure in the region, TdF is rolling through Gap a number of weeks later (I realize that Gap and Embrun are not the same place, but not far apart either)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Athlete,

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the directive by the Government of France in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can confirm that the IRONMAN Vichy triathlon originally scheduled for August 23 cannot take place in 2020 and will return on August 22, 2021.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this decision due to the above-mentioned unforeseen events may come as a disappointment. While we are prevented from holding the event on the original date, we are looking forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience at IRONMAN Vichy in 2021.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Vichy triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to the new race date in 2021.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered participants are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have further questions, please contact us at vichy@ironman.com.

We appreciate your patience and support in this very dynamic time.

Kind Regards,
The IRONMAN Vichy Team

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad it isn’t going ahead but it was never going to get the go ahead.

Much that it screws up my plans I would rather be healthy and alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, dissapointing but not really that surprising. half wants to find another race as a 'carrot' the other half knows thats really not going to happen.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I surprised I saw this announcement:
https://www.ledauphine.com/...l-2020-est-maintenue

They plan to hold the X-Trail Courcheval on Aug 2. I duno.

I'm signed up for a trail run in France on Aug. 8. It was the bookend to my AdH triathlon trip. They haven't announced cancellation yet.

I'm pretty sure I won't be allowed to fly in to Paris in July.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

I'm pretty sure I won't be allowed to fly in to Paris in July.

I agree the likelihood is rather small but you never know how things will evolve. Also depending where you'll be flying from I believe. Schengen area might have some internal connections. You should probably check around June 2nd, that's when France is supposed to roll out the second phase of the lockdown exit plan, which will include new rules with respect to national/EU/Schengen travels.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm coming from Canada but yeah... waiting game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes France has said Schengen will probably be ok but they have already said others will have todo a mandatory 14 day confinement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
Yes France has said Schengen will probably be ok but they have already said others will have todo a mandatory 14 day confinement.

We're golden as long as we can put up a tent on the side of Alpe d'Huez and do repeats for 14 days and have someone bring us food from Bourg d'Oisans.
Quote Reply

Prev Next