Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept
Quote | Reply

French Prime Minister announced measures for easing lockdown last night.

No events on public roads or events requiring approval of a prefecture. Meetings limited to 10 people.
Last edited by: SheTries: Apr 29, 20 0:49
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this and as someone who does some work with French governmental regulations I am not surprised. In France everything is buried behind several layer of national government, local government and union bureaucracy. They system is not designed to work either quickly or electronically with forms needing to be passed and signed off at various levels after many meetings. Realistically I think the current situation in France makes the system unworkable and it will take many months to bring things back online even when things start returning to normal. September is probably optimistic and only viable for events where all the major permitting is already in place and assuming things start working better around June. Any events which haven't already secured all the necessary permission are likely to take much longer to come online.

The good news is I don't expect what happens in France to be indicative of what we should expect globally. Not only was the country hit very hard the country has an extremely rigid socio-political system that is not suited to flexibly respond and adapt to crisis. You follow protocols because they are there or go on strike to try and spark a national revolution because the system doesn't provide the space for a middle ground (or if you are very rich you just do whatever you want but this isn't unique to France). It is reasonable to assume most countries will be at least 2 if not 3 months ahead of France.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
The good news is I don't expect what happens in France to be indicative of what we should expect globally. Not only was the country hit very hard the country has an extremely rigid socio-political system that is not suited to flexibly respond and adapt to crisis. You follow protocols because they are there or go on strike to try and spark a national revolution because the system doesn't provide the space for a middle ground (or if you are very rich you just do whatever you want but this isn't unique to France). It is reasonable to assume most countries will be at least 2 if not 3 months ahead of France.

I think it will in fact be what you see in many places. Here in Canada, off hand, Quebec has announced no sport/festival events until at least end of Summer, New Brunswick has already said none for rest of year, Nova Scotia is still restricting everything and has stated there is no end to it any time soon.....
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile the RD of Embrunman is still hoping to run the race in an adjusted format.

Delaying the inevitable I guess... Mid August will come to soon.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
‘Not only was the country hit very hard the country has an extremely rigid socio-political system that is not suited to flexibly respond and adapt to crisis.”

France is not the most flexible country I agree (I am French)
But I was impressed by how quick the government stepped up to offer “chomage technique” which mean something tike technical unemployment but people remain in their company and are paid by the gouvernment!
So we have about 10 million people in France under that scheme now and it will prevent many companies to be bankrupted and people being laid off so not that bad compared to many countries.
France managed very poorly availability of masks but the response to business has been great with rent cost lifted for companies like restaurant which were closed, taxes held until better situation arise!
And zero persone lost their health insurance so not that bad!
On May 11 confinement is greatly reduced, stores will be open (bars and restaurant to reopen on June 11th if health situation allows it, take away ok for restaurant now but no dine in)

Can you let me know what you mean by being ahead two months?
Is it opening businesses?
Is it containing the virus?
Is it unemployment back to normal?
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and that includes professional sports played behind closed doors?

I don't expect amateur sports anytime soon but to keep professional televised sport closed for that time seems pretty extreme. The headline in France isn't about the Tour de France being cancelled but about the top flight football teams not being able to play in closed stadiums. For many of these clubs the income from selling tickets is super marginal so you can close the stands and operate at a very low risk by testing a handful of individuals regularly. By saying they can't do this safety until September France is basically saying mass start events are a long long way off. I am genuinely surprised Canada is in the same position. Maybe if the hockey season started in June/July the approach would be different?
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
‘Not only was the country hit very hard the country has an extremely rigid socio-political system that is not suited to flexibly respond and adapt to crisis.”

But I was impressed by how quick the government stepped up to offer “chomage technique” which mean something tike technical unemployment but people remain in their company and are paid by the gouvernment!
So we have about 10 million people in France under that scheme now and it will prevent many companies to be bankrupted and people being laid off so not that bad compared to many countries.
France managed very poorly availability of masks but the response to business has been great with rent cost lifted for companies like restaurant which were closed, taxes held until better situation arise!
On May 11 confinement is greatly reduced, stores will be open (bars and restaurant to reopen on June 11th if health situation allows it, take away ok for restaurant now but no dine in)

Italy is already starting to talk about restarting Serie A and in the UK there are growing rumblings about restarting the Premier League with games behind closed doors. I full expect those to happen months before the September deadline announced for France. So for sports re-starting I think France is a few months behind most of the world.

My job is in applying EU regulations across Eu member states so my views on the French administration need to be taken in a wider context. The Baltic countries are 'above' everyone else i so its no surprise that Sweden and to a lesser extend Denmark have tried to promote themselves as having the model response to the crisis. I have no doubt they will try and put on events ASAP that promote themselves as the peak of wealth, health and humanity. The UK also likes to think its above everyone else but then when panic hits it just looks to everyone else for leadership. I suspect the UK will only start opening up once the rest of Europe shows its safe to ease restrictions and then PM will make an agressive Brexit speach about how the strength the national alone brought it through the crisis. So mass start events after the likes the Germany re-starts. Spain seems to do things either with minimal government interference or all out authoritarian vigor. There 6-week ban on children going outside under any circumstance was not surprising to me although even though I find it totally bonkers. Its hard to know where sports will fall on this spectrum but I wouldn't be surprised if they took an extremely hard line.

This probably belongs in the lavender room but I have seen no evidence that the various responses to riding outside across the EU are based on any more than long-held national biases. I currently live in the UK and Wales just announced a ban on anyone riding 'more than a reasonable walking distance for their home.' Its one of the literally WTF reactions which appears aimed to allow local politicians to claim they are taking addition steps to protect Welsh services from 'dirty' English people riding across the boarder. The typical NOT IN MY BACKYARD mindset that defines the relationship between the regions of the UK. The data is 100% crystal clear that physical activity and sports saves lives in the long run while drinking beer and fast food does not. In my mind we should be pushing to re-open sports first and bars later even if the acute risk of mass sporting events seems higher than the acute risk of re-opening the local watering hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Football/soccer season is cancelled!
All indoor sports forbidden until further notice as well as contact sport.
You can run / bike on your own without time limitation starting May 11th until June 2nd when new rules will come.
No gathering more than 10 people.
Masks mandatory in public transportation
Stores (except restaurants and bars) reopen on May 11 with social distancing rules.
Cannot go more than 100 km from your home (unless specific work or family circomstances) until June 2nd which mean no vacation on the French riviera :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this information.

I am directing a Sept. 26 half marathon in France, so there is some possibility that it can still happen. All the permits are in place.

Of course, I will abide by all regulations and if the event will not be safe, it will be postponed or cancelled.

I appreciate the government of France putting together a plan for reopening based on public health and safety.

Thank you!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
ppkestrel wrote:

Italy is already starting to talk about restarting Serie A and in the UK there are growing rumblings about restarting the Premier League with games behind closed doors. I full expect those to happen months before the September deadline announced for France. So for sports re-starting I think France is a few months behind most of the world.

My job is in applying EU regulations across Eu member states so my views on the French administration need to be taken in a wider context. The Baltic countries are 'above' everyone else i so its no surprise that Sweden and to a lesser extend Denmark have tried to promote themselves as having the model response to the crisis. I have no doubt they will try and put on events ASAP that promote themselves as the peak of wealth, health and humanity. The UK also likes to think its above everyone else but then when panic hits it just looks to everyone else for leadership. I suspect the UK will only start opening up once the rest of Europe shows its safe to ease restrictions and then PM will make an agressive Brexit speach about how the strength the national alone brought it through the crisis. So mass start events after the likes the Germany re-starts. Spain seems to do things either with minimal government interference or all out authoritarian vigor. There 6-week ban on children going outside under any circumstance was not surprising to me although even though I find it totally bonkers. Its hard to know where sports will fall on this spectrum but I wouldn't be surprised if they took an extremely hard line.

This probably belongs in the lavender room but I have seen no evidence that the various responses to riding outside across the EU are based on any more than long-held national biases. I currently live in the UK and Wales just announced a ban on anyone riding 'more than a reasonable walking distance for their home.' Its one of the literally WTF reactions which appears aimed to allow local politicians to claim they are taking addition steps to protect Welsh services from 'dirty' English people riding across the boarder. The typical NOT IN MY BACKYARD mindset that defines the relationship between the regions of the UK. The data is 100% crystal clear that physical activity and sports saves lives in the long run while drinking beer and fast food does not. In my mind we should be pushing to re-open sports first and bars later even if the acute risk of mass sporting events seems higher than the acute risk of re-opening the local watering hole.

A few areas with some thoughts pertaining to your post:

1. It seems entirely reasonable for stadium based pro sports to play behind closed doors (in fact, they could just play inside their practice fields with TV, to limit all the people involved with keeping the stadium running). There is huge economic value created by their professional sports even without fans local to the game and should be doable in a safe manner (if that means doing it out of one or two cities to limit travel, seems like its possible)
  2. In terms of "NOT MY BACKYARD" that you have in Wales, here in Canada we have the Quebec border closed to people from Ontario. I live in Ottawa which is "Ottawa-Gatineau" with the Gatineau part on the other side of the river. People have simple things to overcome like being essential workers who work on one side of the river and work on the other, or families where mom and dad live on opposite sides of the river and shuttling kids between shared custody homes. There is no logic for the closing of the internal border but there are police to make sure you are "essential". Anyone jogging, walking, biking across is stopped, as if an outdoor solo activity spreads the disease (it does not). Quebec is the worst hit place in the province and they are acting (again) like their own country (they are not) limiting movement. The virus is here in our country. Restricting movement between provinces has no less or more impact on spread than restricting movement or allowing it in side your town (or your street). Either do it all or not. Its in the same category of local politicians claiming they are doing "more" for their citizen as you described.
  3. From what I understand the Tour de France is still technically on starting on 29 Aug in Nice. Is that correct?

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 29, 20 6:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:

I do agree that Sweden is the pinnacle of all humanity, but did you just refer to Sweden and Denmark as the Baltic countries?
Last edited by: StaffanS: Apr 29, 20 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct Nordic not Baltic.

That’s worse than when I excluded Iceland from a discussion surrounding Scandinavian approaches to EU trade policy. As they pointed out they are more pure Viking than anyone else.

I have also enjoyed pictures from my friend fat biking to work through the snow in Lulea. He’s originally from Sicily and was struggling to deciding if he would rather face a perpetual Swedish winter or being stuck in quarantine in Sicily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
You are correct Nordic not Baltic.

That’s worse than when I excluded Iceland from a discussion surrounding Scandinavian approaches to EU trade policy. As they pointed out they are more pure Viking than anyone else.

I have also enjoyed pictures from my friend fat biking to work through the snow in Lulea. He’s originally from Sicily and was struggling to deciding if he would rather face a perpetual Swedish winter or being stuck in quarantine in Sicily.

When using the term "Scandinavia" in Swedish, we exclude Iceland and Finland (those countries are included in the Nordics, however). So that's ok, even if the English usage often includes Iceland and Finland.

Living in the more southern parts of Sweden, I'm pretty far from snow biking. I could to take the TT bike for a spin today instead, in a local individual TT event where starts are spread out during a week. Guess that's the kind of sporting events that will be available for the near and half-distant future...
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I blame Norway for the nomenclature confusion. They aren’t in the EU and always like that to be made clear. Yet they are significant players in EU ‘’Northern Zone’ rules.
This requires English speakers to create a term for SE, NO, DK, FI, ES, LT and LV but not IS which doesn’t risk indicating Norway is part of the EU.

Its the same as having to refer to the UK, BE and NL and being in Central Europe. They are in EU agricultural policy but not to most people.

I only bring this up because I realise I have made some some very broad generalizations about massively complex and diverse countries. But COVID responses are drawing out these tribal lines and I don’t think they are helpful in dealing with actual emergencies.

On the other hand the day European countries stop creating arbitrary divisions in out of a job. Or worse I would have to move back to US and tackle State vs Federal tribalism and I wouldn’t even get health insurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Or worse I would have to move back to US and tackle State vs Federal tribalism and I wouldn’t even get health insurance.

I'm an educated IT professional and could fairly easily get a visa (I think) to live and work in Washington, Oregon or California.
But I stay in Canada, because the US healthcare system terrifies me.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I am a Canadian living in the US. The Canadian health care system terrifies me.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

You must have great insurance.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themuse1 wrote:
Thank you for posting this information.

I am directing a Sept. 26 half marathon in France, so there is some possibility that it can still happen. All the permits are in place.

Of course, I will abide by all regulations and if the event will not be safe, it will be postponed or cancelled.

I appreciate the government of France putting together a plan for reopening based on public health and safety.

Thank you!

Mark

I'm curious about how you are approaching the topic of aid stations. Business as usual? No-touch stations (the water, gels, etc. are on a table for athletes to grab...the table is refilled form the other side)? Self supported (no aid stations)? Something different?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@StaffanS What's your take on The Netherlands? They've also banned all events until September.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
AndrewPhx wrote:

You must have great insurance.

I think this all depends on what type of procedure you need, how urgent and your financial status at a personal level. US is way better for elective stuff. Canadian is way better if you are poor and there is an emergency. You also don't need to worry about health insurance when you make your professional decisions in Canada.

Putting all that aside the above discussion has nothing to do with events in France. Minimally looks like Alpe d'Huez tri is off for sure. On April 15th they said they would either have it on the original date or not bother with a reschedule!!!! So I have 15 months to try to get into some climbing shape again!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue pro sports is going to have to deal with, even if competing behind closed doors, is what if a member of a team comes down with covid ?

Then every member of the team, and all the members of other teams they have competed against as well as any support staff or travel contact who has been near that person in the last two weeks would be considered at risk and would require testing, or isolation if testing isn't deemed 100% sensitive. I'm not sure anyone has a plan for this yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
ppkestrel wrote:

Well summed up (as soneone who also has to navigate through EU and national technical regs each day and sees how different EU countries applies, ignores, or distorts rules and processes that are supoosed to be common, to suit their agenda and systems.
France ? Have 6 unrequired meetings, ask for unnecessarily trade-restrictive made up conditions to met, not make a decision without 3 committee meetings (that minutes are not published from) and eventually, reluctantly finally allow it rather than the automatic national response of
'Non, c'est pas possible' and associated shrug or the shoulders.

It's easy in France to stop something but not so easy to get the 'OK'.
Unless it seems a subsidy for a national industry - they're quick and regular in their issue.

In the UK there is no leadership. Boris is a BS merchant who was found clueless (but luckily just not as brain dead as his mate Domestos Trump) and reacts to public opinion rather than lead. When leadership was needed on January he was too busy tossing it off with his brexit mates about having buried Labour opposition for 10 years and leaving the EU irrespective of the damage it will cause (which will now be hidden in the damage this virus and it's management will cause).

Lets hope Germany gets it right as that's who the UK will follow.
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Putting all that aside the above discussion has nothing to do with events in France. Minimally looks like Alpe d'Huez tri is off for sure. On April 15th they said they would either have it on the original date or not bother with a reschedule!!!! So I have 15 months to try to get into some climbing shape again!!!!

Not so fast. The ban is on indoor events and events over 5000 total participants and spectators.

UTMB is try to make it a go.
AdH total may be 5k, but it's over 4 days.... so within the rules.

I still think cancellation is probable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Alpe d'Huez triathlon just cancelled: https://www.alpetriathlon.com/...athlon-2020/?lang=en
Quote Reply
Re: France just cancelled all sporting events until Sept [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

How so?
Quote Reply

Prev Next