Prev Next
Re: Face mask outside [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
If this falls behind a paywall, it says 45 out of 60 choir singers at church have now tested positive for Covid-19 and two are already dead. None were coughing or sneezing at the time of exposure on March 10. At this point, I wear my mask (thank you DeSoto) when outside the house, but not exercising. But I give ~10 foot wide berth to those I see on the streets. In Italy, they are leaving people my age to die, so yeah, I take this seriously.

https://www.latimes.com/...virus-choir-outbreak

How many touched the same hymnals? The same handrail while walking up the choir risers? The same door handles when entering and exiting the church? Also all the choirs I've seen stand shoulder to shoulder and are likely meeting multiple times a week. That's much different than passing someone on the street 6 feet away.

I read that article the other day and it's obviously far different than running outside. It was 60 people in an enclosed space so no environmental factors like wind, singing (ie spewing out fine particles), for 2.5 hours. I've still been outside running but I give people a wide berth. it sounds like CDC may start encouraging people to wear masks of any type to limit those infected from spreading the virus unknowingly. For now, I just wash my hands frequently, try not to touch my face, and if try to keep a good distance whenever I have to go out.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres no point, unless you make a habit of touching lots of things while you run. There is little to no transmission of covid-19 through the air, and what little there is requires close contact in an enclosed space over an extended time period. The reason wearing a mask can be effective is simply because it can remind you to not touch your face, which is the overwhelming means of transmission. So don't touch things, dont touch your face, neither of which I usually do while I run at least, and you should be

There is little to no transmission of covid-19 through the air, and what little there is requires close contact in an enclosed space over an extended time period. T

You might want to read these:

Fauci said people have to weigh the risks of various activities Noah asked about — for example, he doesn't think we "need to get completely obsessed about packages that come in" — but coughing and sneezing are dangerous. The virus spreads mainly through droplets of saliva, including hand contact after a person coughs, but it can also be aerosolized and hang out in the air for a bit.

http://www.bikeirvine.org/...the-time-of-covid-19

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 2, 20 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a chance. I'll stick to common sense for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting.... “Picture if you can- you’re zipping along on your bike, your lungs are working hard, you’re exhaling hard through your mouth. If you’re like me, your nose opens up and the mucous tap handles fly open. Maybe you’re laughing at how silly you look with snot streaming down your bike frame. Maybe you’re chatting with your riding partner about how gorgeous this spring day is. But the entire time, your respiratory signature is not just a stationary, six-foot sphere around you, but it turns into a comet-shaped trail while you’re at speed. The majority of your signature is still around you in your sphere, but you’re moving fast enough that your sphere starts trailing behind you, where you used to be.“
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, and greetings from Hong Kong. & this is what drives me crazy:

Amnesia wrote:
The masks you see people walking around in are not actually, as most people think, designed to protect that person from other people. They are actually designed to stop the person wearing them from spreading their bugs to others.

because everyone here knows this. & I just have no idea how this very basic idea has taken *sooo looong* to get into people's minds in the US and elsewhere.

There was already an established tradition here of wearing masks if you're feeling under the weather, as the polite thing to do.

This now-quasi-universal mask wearing here is just an extension of that, once it became clear that people were contagious before becoming symptomatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
For those who can train outside solo. Do you plan on wearing a face mask outside when working out? I wear one outside when I’m not training but curious if anyone has thought about it.

I do not, though I wear face masks when out & about but not working out. That said, I avoid people while running, choose routes less likely to have people, etc.

I also find it super stressful to breathe deeply while wearing the mask, so I really try to avoid that as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Hello, and greetings from Hong Kong. & this is what drives me crazy:

Amnesia wrote:
The masks you see people walking around in are not actually, as most people think, designed to protect that person from other people. They are actually designed to stop the person wearing them from spreading their bugs to others.

because everyone here knows this. & I just have no idea how this very basic idea has taken *sooo looong* to get into people's minds in the US and elsewhere.

There was already an established tradition here of wearing masks if you're feeling under the weather, as the polite thing to do.

This now-quasi-universal mask wearing here is just an extension of that, once it became clear that people were contagious before becoming symptomatic.

Given the resistance in the US of many communities to lock things down its no surprise many don’t want to wear a mask.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to add >DNE to your tag line SallyShortyPnts?

Did Not Enter or one could choose Did Not Register. Seems appropriate the way this year is going.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation. But, your analysis shows why people should wear masks when they are likely to be near others. Even a low-grade mask helps stop the wearer from spreading germs. Since we do not know if we are contagious, this is the right thing to do for the protection of others. And, hopefully, they will do the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commuting I wore my mask. Got a new one a year ago. Washable and should be good (<1 microns)

https://www.mec.ca/...4016-219/Techno-Mask

I like to think of the virus as other materials to visualize. examples are:

Hand chalk or a glue, for surfaces.

For breathing, I figure it has to be like a spray paint. I was painting wheels the other week and despite being outside and keeping about 1M+ away from wheel I was painting, I still inhaled quite a bit of paint particles. Felt it in my airway hours later.

So head on, provided there is decent berth, I don't think there is as much risk as following. Be careful of the wind direction.
Things are relatively quiet here in Vancouver and I am not running into traffic in the areas I like to go to.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Are you going to add >DNE to your tag line SallyShortyPnts?

Did Not Enter or one could choose Did Not Register. Seems appropriate the way this year is going.

🤣😂😃😊🙂😐😕☹️😖😩😢😭

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our Governor (CO) just asked everyone to wear masks outside. I'm planning to run tomorrow and I don't know what I'm going to do. I run in an area with very few outsiders but I want to comply (if only to let people know I see the news and want to be a good citizen); guess I'll look for a light scarf I can tie around my face.

My brother lives in AZ and they just got locked down the evening of the 31st. He is still out 3-4 times a day--Big Gulps can't drink themselves . I haven't even driven my car for three weeks--since our lock-down. I think he is playing with fire but he doesn't listen to me; I'm only his big sister.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Vienna VA tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to no one in particular, but I have one of these: Aduro Sport Peak Resistance High Altitude Training Mask. Wearing this mask doesn't keep me from spreading virus, but my wheezing does let them know I'm coming, and they feel secure, knowing I won't bite them. Win-win? Actually I do have one, but I've never worn it, because I thought I would look weird. Now I might blend right in?!
Quote Reply

Prev Next