Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Face mask outside
Quote | Reply
For those who can train outside solo. Do you plan on wearing a face mask outside when working out? I wear one outside when I’m not training but curious if anyone has thought about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I make sure to keep lots of distance between myself and the odd person I encounter during my runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no - only when i go into grocery store, though i might at the start of a hike until i get away from a trailhead, parking lots at all the trailheads are full
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres no point, unless you make a habit of touching lots of things while you run. There is little to no transmission of covid-19 through the air, and what little there is requires close contact in an enclosed space over an extended time period. The reason wearing a mask can be effective is simply because it can remind you to not touch your face, which is the overwhelming means of transmission. So don't touch things, dont touch your face, neither of which I usually do while I run at least, and you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got to be kidding...Nice troll attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck no. They may be useful to healthy people in crowded situations but not when you are by yourself outside. Just stay away from other people. Make wide passes. Especially other athletes you don't know when someone will send a snot rocket flying. Watch what your hands touch and don't touch your face. That's a bigger threat when outside. No touching guardrails or door knobs or anything in a public bathroom. basically assume the virus is on those surfaces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A mask would help if someone sneezes or coughs directly at you from fairly close. That is why the doctors and nurses have them.

If no one coughs or sneezes at you like that then there is a thought that you could be at more risk because you might end up touching your face more (adjusting the mask, moving it to eat/drink ...).

If you are the one coughing or sneezing then the logic changes because it is you protecting others but should you really be out in that case anyway?

So it's not straight forward and exercising probably adds a few subtleties to the equation.

Like I say I think the direct sneeze or cough is where it really would help but we should be avoiding getting too close to people. The people I am having a conversation with during a working day I'm further away than normal and I know them so if I thought they were likely to cough or sneeze I'd probably just drop them an email and avoid the situation.

I think surface to hand to face is what we need to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this falls behind a paywall, it says 45 out of 60 choir singers at church have now tested positive for Covid-19 and two are already dead. None were coughing or sneezing at the time of exposure on March 10. At this point, I wear my mask (thank you DeSoto) when outside the house, but not exercising. But I give ~10 foot wide berth to those I see on the streets. In Italy, they are leaving people my age to die, so yeah, I take this seriously.

https://www.latimes.com/...virus-choir-outbreak

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Apr 1, 20 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a training mask?

So far I have not worn any kind of mask. Compared to last week there are even less people outside training...I think we will leave this thing with an even less healthy population.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in Korea this fall I noticed that the majority of cyclists there were wearing face masks. I thought it was odd at first but after a week there I felt weird about not wearing one while cycling. Will I wear one here? I don’t know but I’d feel pretty weird
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Sailorguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s super interesting. Thanks! For those who think mask aren’t helpful. Look at the outbreak rate between S. Korea and USA. Mask save lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take fabric mask (I mean N95 or KF94 mask, they are basically same) in my pocket and wear it only when I have to encounter some one else.

On days with severe smog, I usually wear anti particulate material mask made by 3m with 3m 2297 filter.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Apr 2, 20 4:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, as a doctor in the operating theatre most days there are a few things I need to clarify:
The masks you see people walking around in are not actually, as most people think, designed to protect that person from other people. They are actually designed to stop the person wearing them from spreading their bugs to others. That is why we wear them in theatre, to stop us infecting the patient.
Next step up is your more standard surgical mask. These have fluid resistant properties which again, are mainly designed to protect the patient from the person wearing the mask but then have some added protection for the person wearing the mask in terms of things like blood splatter etc.
Next step up is masks such as N95's, which is pretty much our standard personal protective mask in COVID patients in this crisis. These masks are designed to protect the person wearing them from airborne contaminants such as corona virus. These masks are hard to come by, not very comfortable and need to seal properly on your face. You won't really see people around wearing them outside etc, but these are the masks which are specifically designed to protect the person wearing them from others.
So, basically, when you are out and see other people wearing masks, 99% probably think they are protecting themselves when in reality they are protecting others from them....
I don't have too much of an issue with it as long as they are not taking masks from our medical supply that could currently be better utilised in this pandemic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I am in South Korea and can assure you are right.
Koreans including me have frantically stocked "N95" grade masks due to the all-year lasting foreign smog(which is.. definitely coming from China.) and this eventually saved people from The foreign viri... How ironic is it?

-80% of pedestrians are wearing N95 grade mask nowadays and you do not believe it.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Apr 2, 20 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Sailorguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is because of westerlies(the constant west to east wind due to earths' spinning) and the infamous Chinese smog. Korea's air pollution is heavily affected by their bad, really bad neighbor who's not following international agreement on air pollution control.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
That’s super interesting. Thanks! For those who think mask aren’t helpful. Look at the outbreak rate between S. Korea and USA. Mask save lives.
Korea also published the location and location history of everyone who tested positive. If you went within 100m of a store where a CV19 patient had been you got a push notification on your phone. So they did a few other things besides wearing masks that likely helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, this matches exactly with what my daughter, who's an emergency room physician, told me.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. Technology and much better protocols helped protect their citizens while everyone over here during February said “seasonal flu kills more”...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That cleared a lot of things for me.

My issues are mainly out on the park trails when running with my dog. Many more outside than before. N95 will eliminate airborne while using regular mask and homemade mask protect you and possibly reduce airborne contaminates?
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s wild. We have instant feedback anywhere in the world but our own ego stops us from using common sense. Stop, look and listen to those who have been there before while Americans think otherwise... thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats your reason for wearing a mask and what kind is it?

(I'm an RN BTW)

The only mask that prevents you from breathing in COVID is a N95 and that mask has to be fitted to you or it will not work. Also you can get the bug through any mucus membrane....think eyes in this case. So you really need a face shield also to be effective. Currently we don't know if COVID is in aerosol yet....or not. If so only a N95 mask and shield will work but again if that is not fitted its useless and not for the average joe. Wearing an ordinary mask "could" protect you from droplets assuming the droplets don't hit some other part of your face.....what is the chance of that? (zero).

If your reason is prevention you are a lot more likely to touch your face because you have a mask on in the first place. And a regular mask is only good to keep YOU from spreading droplets which is useless if your wearing a mask while training.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Theres no point, unless you make a habit of touching lots of things while you run. There is little to no transmission of covid-19 through the air, and what little there is requires close contact in an enclosed space over an extended time period. The reason wearing a mask can be effective is simply because it can remind you to not touch your face, which is the overwhelming means of transmission. So don't touch things, dont touch your face, neither of which I usually do while I run at least, and you should be fine.

We still know too little about the virus and its transmission process to credit your statements as hard facts. So please dont state such things a matter of fact. You can never be too cautious.

People were purchasing n95 masks and hording them, making it harder to supply those who are on the front lines of this crisis. The public was told to not actively procure/wear masks for this reason. If/(hopefully when) supply normalizes, expert opinion and public guidelines may change as the risk of infection to mask utilization basis is independent of demand.
Quote Reply
Re: Face mask outside [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
If this falls behind a paywall, it says 45 out of 60 choir singers at church have now tested positive for Covid-19 and two are already dead. None were coughing or sneezing at the time of exposure on March 10. At this point, I wear my mask (thank you DeSoto) when outside the house, but not exercising. But I give ~10 foot wide berth to those I see on the streets. In Italy, they are leaving people my age to die, so yeah, I take this seriously.

https://www.latimes.com/...virus-choir-outbreak

How many touched the same hymnals? The same handrail while walking up the choir risers? The same door handles when entering and exiting the church? Also all the choirs I've seen stand shoulder to shoulder and are likely meeting multiple times a week. That's much different than passing someone on the street 6 feet away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This.....100%
Big appeal now in the UK for PPE. Lots of people out in public wearing surgical gloves as well. Driving in them to shops, touching door handles, shopping baskets, produce etc then getting back in car to drive home. Pointless.

Amnesia wrote:
OK, as a doctor in the operating theatre most days there are a few things I need to clarify:

<edit>
I don't have too much of an issue with it as long as they are not taking masks from our medical supply that could currently be better utilised in this pandemic.

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next