Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
No, Jason I know your posts well enough to know you were messing around as am I. My comments were primarily in jest. I rarely make the effort to use pink font yet 90% of the stuff I say on here is complete sarcasm so I get it!

Anyways to answer original question since I am NOT a swimmer.
swim-jammers
Bike-long rides-bibs; medium rides-bike shirts or tri shorts; bricks-tri shorts
Run- run shorts or tri shorts or tri shorts under shorts

Who says I was just messing around

;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured I would need multiple if I’m swimming 3 or more times a week no? People just wear the same gear multiple times a week?
---

For all of your other workout clothes, you're 100% correct in washing them after every use. For swim suits, not so much.

For swim suits (jammers or speedos) just rinse them out in the shower and give them a good wringing (the spinny-ma-jig increases the wear and tear on a suit and reduces it's life span). When you get home, hang up your suit and let it air dry. It'll be ready to go by your next swim. No need to wash the suit, the chlorine in the pool will do it for you.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
I figured I would need multiple if I’m swimming 3 or more times a week no? People just wear the same gear multiple times a week?
Yep, I wear the same stuff for a week and wash on weekends. That means I wear my bike shorts and running clothes 4x between a wash and my swim jammers 2x. I only own one pair of Jammers. I track them as gear on Garmin Connect, because they only last around 200,000 yards before they degrade. Though, my last pair made it well over 300,000 yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
M90 wrote:
Yep, I wear the same stuff for a week and wash on weekends. That means I wear my bike shorts and running clothes 4x between a wash and my swim jammers 2x. I only own one pair of Jammers. I track them as gear on Garmin Connect, because they only last around 200,000 yards before they degrade. Though, my last pair made it well over 300,000 yards.

Never wash my speedos. They get rinsed in the shower then quickly through the suit spinner thingamajig (I haven’t noticed any degradation in my training suits using it, but I’d never wash a tech suit)

My last suit was good for about 18 months, avg about 12k per week. Even if my math is a little off, it’s still north of 500,000m for a pair of speedos. Even then the fabric is fine and I could still wear that pair if I had to, it’s just one seam that’s come slightly apart.

Washing, and especially drying, is bad for the fabric.

I use a mesh swim bag so my suit is nice and dry the next time I put it in. Nothing worse than putting on a wet suit in winter.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 15, 20 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Never wash my speedos... it’s still north of 500,000m for a pair of speedos...Washing, and especially drying, is bad for the fabric.
My wife does the laundry. (She is a saint.) I shall inquire about the frequency that my Speedo gets watshed. I may pull it out of the wash routine. After around 200,000 yards, the fabric starts to get baggy & saggy-- it loses its internal elasticity (and gets 2-3 sec./100yd slower).

Also, I think my pool uses some harsh chemicals. About a year ago, I started getting some kind of nasal allergy on my swim days-- I sneeze all day long unless I use Flonaze or Allegra after the swim. This is probably dissolving my suit as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Never wash my speedos... it’s still north of 500,000m for a pair of speedos...Washing, and especially drying, is bad for the fabric.
My wife does the laundry. (She is a saint.) I shall inquire about the frequency that my Speedo gets watshed. I may pull it out of the wash routine. After around 200,000 yards, the fabric starts to get baggy & saggy-- it loses its internal elasticity (and gets 2-3 sec./100yd slower).

Also, I think my pool uses some harsh chemicals. About a year ago, I started getting some kind of nasal allergy on my swim days-- I sneeze all day long unless I use Flonaze or Allegra after the swim. This is probably dissolving my suit as well.

What suit is it? Specifically, what fabric?

Speedo endurance + is probably the most durable stuff on the market besides maybe a pure polyester or nylon suit. Neither of which are as comfortable.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 15, 20 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through 4 Endurance Lite suits. I looked at my Amazon history, and the first three made it a little over a year. The last one made it about 18 months. They dropped the “Endurance” product name, so my new one is a “The Fast Way,” but their description says it is their most durable material.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurance+ is longer lasting than endurance lite, but that said I've been getting well over a year out of endurance lite.

right now my suits are Arena maxlife, which seems to be pretty good also. I rotate through 2 of them that I picked up in may/june last year, and they're showing no signs of wear.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think TYR's version of the endurance fabric is the Durafast Elite. To me it's not as long-lasting as Speedo Endurance but still lasts 8-12 months and it's a little more stretchy plus more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I look at training jammers as a consumable, and I just want to find something that lasts longer. I will hang onto these posts when it is time to replace my new suit.... which could be a while if I quit washing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not supposed to wash Speedo endurance or endurance lite products. It says right on the packaging. As well, it says not to twist or wring the fabric. I rinse in the shower post swim, squeeze out the excess water, and hang dry them. They are good to go after around 8 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only area I would think it would help would be getting used to riding in tri shorts with less padding. I wear cycling bibs to ride in (best invention ever!) and race in a one piece tri suit (typically desoto) so it has a little padding, but honestly in 15 years of racing I’ve never had much saddle discomfort.

I run in running shorts and tech tops.

Honestly running/ riding 7-8 times per week for both, I’d have to have a bunch of tri shorts and do a lot of laundry.

Won’t get into the speedo / jammer debate, I’ve used both and use whatever is the cheapest. Recently discovered the Roka warehouse sale with $10 swimsuits so I’ve got about 7 pairs of jammers to get through. Figure I’m good for 2 years. I’ve also used tri shorts in the pool and they just don’t hold up
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I think TYR's version of the endurance fabric is the Durafast Elite. To me it's not as long-lasting as Speedo Endurance but still lasts 8-12 months and it's a little more stretchy plus more comfortable.

The durafast elite has some lycra, so it’s stretchier than durafast but not as chlorine resistant.

Speedo endurance+ has no lycra, so lasts longer than endurance lite.

The lycra-less suits basically last until the stitching gives out. You can put them in the spinner, washer/dryer, basically whatever you want.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
The only area I would think it would help would be getting used to riding in tri shorts with less padding. I wear cycling bibs to ride in (best invention ever!) and race in a one piece tri suit (typically desoto) so it has a little padding, but honestly in 15 years of racing I’ve never had much saddle discomfort.

I run in running shorts and tech tops.

Honestly running/ riding 7-8 times per week for both, I’d have to have a bunch of tri shorts and do a lot of laundry.

Won’t get into the speedo / jammer debate, I’ve used both and use whatever is the cheapest. Recently discovered the Roka warehouse sale with $10 swimsuits so I’ve got about 7 pairs of jammers to get through. Figure I’m good for 2 years. I’ve also used tri shorts in the pool and they just don’t hold up

Roka warehouse sale? Could you share some more so this newb here could get some new gear? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In November (i think?),maybe early December, warehouse sale in Irvine CA but maybe other locations.

Insane pricing

Speedsuits $25-50, all tri gear $25, wetsuits $75 - 200 or so, floaty cheater shorts for $25...
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
In November (i think?),maybe early December, warehouse sale in Irvine CA but maybe other locations.

Insane pricing

Speedsuits $25-50, all tri gear $25, wetsuits $75 - 200 or so, floaty cheater shorts for $25...

damn! is there anyway to get a notification when they're having it or it's just sort of if you live in the area and are in the scene you hear about it type thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get on their email list
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I’m the only one who does most of their training in cheap running shorts. Bullet proof and add some drag in the pool, nice tan line for cycling (and lets you know quick if you have the right saddle), and cool and airy on the run. I $ave the vacuum packed Lycra
body packaging for race$. It also helps that I’m old, and don’t care what anyone thinks, and don’t need to look like a pro, when I’m just getting workouts in.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Feb 16, 20 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I think I’m the only one who does most of their training in cheap running shorts. Bullet proof and add some drag in the pool, nice tan line for cycling (and lets you know quick if you have the right saddle), and cool and airy on the run. I $ave the vacuum packed Lycra
body packaging for race$. It also helps that I’m old, and don’t care what anyone thinks, and don’t need to look like a pro, when I’m just getting workouts in.

When I started playing golf a couple of years ago I adopted the mantra, "Look good, feel good, play good" and bought a lot of really good looking golf stuff. Every weekend I'd roll up to the course looking like Nike's next chosen golf prodigy. I looked awesome.

Although I'm still pretty much a hack and completely disproved that strategy, I'm just gonna go ahead and stick by it in everything I do.

Even if I suck, at least I'll look good sucking
Last edited by: M90: Feb 16, 20 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
Dean T wrote:

When I started playing golf a couple of years ago I adopted the mantra, "Look good, feel good, play good" and bought a lot of really good looking golf stuff. Every weekend I'd roll up to the course looking like Nike's next chosen golf prodigy. I looked awesome.

Although I'm still pretty much a hack and completely disproved that strategy, I'm just gonna go ahead and stick by it in everything I do.

Even if I suck, at least I'll look good sucking

If that’s going to be your philosophy, then you need speedos (and swedes) for the pool. Arena, speedo, and funky trunks are acceptable brands, anything else is at least a level below. Assos or Rapha Bibshorts and jersey, and mid calf socks on the bike. And whatever runners wear....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread should somehow be linked to the "Is triathlon that unpopular?" thread.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or linked to the exact same post on reddit.
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I don't think I've ever washed a swim suit.

When I get done swimming I rinse it out in the shower and then put it in the suit spinner.

+1 washing swimsuits seem to tear and wear them out faster.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next