Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Train in Tri shorts?
Quote | Reply
Would it be smarter to just train for cycling and swimming in tri shorts rather than cycling shorts and then jammers for swimming?

Considering I'll be wearing a tri suit for my races, by training in tri shorts I'll be more used to the feel.

Also, have to buy less stuff?

Or should I be training in cycling shorts on the bike and jammers or w/e for swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were doing swim/bike bricks, then I'd go for tri shorts. Otherwise jammers for swim and tri or cycling shorts for bike. I use tri shorts for all my bike workouts. You'll probably get more life out of the tri shorts if you aren't swimming in them. The chlorine does a number on my jammers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden in bike shorts in many years.

Tri shorts are too expensive to use in the pool. A speedo endurance jammer costs ~$30 on sale and lasts for at least a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been training in my DeSoto Tri shorts in the pool now for about a year. I get them a size smaller than normal, they stretch out just a bit from all the swimming, and then are perfect for the bike too. The seem to last a bit longer than my jammers, but are a bit more expensive too. And since it has a float pad in it, they swim pretty well too, so no issues there..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim in Speedo jammer
Bike in tri-shorts
Run in run shorts

Race in a 1 piece tri-suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo in the pool. Not jammers. A proper speedo.

Any other answer is incorrect.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, his question was posed in the year 2020, not 1990 ;)....I would not row now in the same crap I used in the 90s....you shouldn’t swim in the same gear either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

why though? When swimming in a race you wear something that's pretty much a jammer whether your wear a two piece or a kit

seriously curious, I know nothing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

why though? When swimming in a race you wear something that's pretty much a jammer whether your wear a two piece or a kit

seriously curious, I know nothing

Same here. I would think you should train in race condition as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I swim in a pool where children may be present.... I'm not taking the risk of being locked up for being thought to be on a par with Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris or any other number of 1970s TV / Radio 1 presenters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Actually I swim in a speedo as well (actually a TYR brief), I don't know why I wrote jammer.

I used a jammer for years, but for some reason, recently I can't hold onto a pull buoy for any longer than a 100 and it's easier to hold onto with a brief.

(And it's easier to show off the tattoo around my thigh :) )
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what are everybody's favorite tri shorts then?

Tried finding some articles but there weren't too many.

I've been quickly looking at Roka, DeSoto, Orca, Louis Garneau, 2XU

Don't mind price too much since I'll be getting a lot of use out of them and they should last me a while but also don't want to spend a stupid amount.

Edit: Just stumbled upon "Love The Pain" gear. I love it haha It's so out there, ironic, loud. But damn is it expensive. This stuff actually any good or is it more about the aesthetic? Do people that rock this stuff catch a lot of heat from other athletes? Some of the stuff is pretty damn cool looking.
Last edited by: M90: Feb 14, 20 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever manage to make it to the pool, I swim in mid thigh length trunks for the extra drag.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pool is dominated by young kids getting lessons and then the club team kids also. Its always going to be a jammer for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently wearing DeSoto Mobius, I normally find them at swimoutlet.com for around $80

You should do a search here for "Love The Pain" You'll be entertained!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main reason i dont use tri short in the pool is the accelerated degradation from chlorine which is very real in the pools i swim in.

Only polyester chlorine resistant stuff for pool training for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why though?
---

Because that's what real swimmers would do. Further, swedes are the best goggles (see note on real swimmers). Swim caps on males outside of competition are for chumps (real swimmers). No watches in the pool (this one's for real, though). And, for crying out loud, keep your body hair to a minimum!

In reality, jammers are fine for swimming purposes and better than a tri suit in the pool. It's an economic decision. On the bike, I sometimes wear a tri short, especially if I'm running immediately afterwards. Other times a bike short. If it's a stand alone run, wear running clothes. Not every workout needs to be a dress rehearsal for race day.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Bingo!
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Currently wearing DeSoto Mobius, I normally find them at swimoutlet.com for around $80

You should do a search here for "Love The Pain" You'll be entertained!!!

Just read a bit. Can't believe it! Would never expect that type of business from a company with what looks like such a legitimate website with such great looking product. Really unfortunate. If they actually provided their product and some customer service I bet everybody would be rocking their gear.

Are there any websites all yall real triathletes frequent for good deals on gear?

Any brands/models in particular to try to find?
Last edited by: M90: Feb 14, 20 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear all the older swimmers on here say that speedos are the only way to go, but yet the younger swimmers and teenagers I see in the local pools primarily wear jammers. So, this comment isn’t necessarily directed at you, but to others, please save the “real swimmers wear speedos” speech. It does little more than date you.
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I swim in a pool where children may be present.... I'm not taking the risk of being locked up for being thought to be on a par with Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris or any other number of 1970s TV / Radio 1 presenters

You live in a fucked up part of the world if people equate wearing speedos with being a child molester.

Tell me,are women held to the same ridiculous standard?
Quote Reply
Re: Train in Tri shorts? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, did you stop reading at my first paragraph? While missing all of the obvious sarcasm (at least, I think)? And completely ignore the 2nd paragraph?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kids at our high school on the swim team and water polo team wear Speedos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire men's college team here seems to only swim in speedos, so I don't think its an age thing, or that's the only free option they get. Occasionally a drag suit, but never jammers. I think its tied more to what your waistline looks like versus an age thing. Swim in what you are comfortable in, provided its actual swimwear. I'll stick with the speedo because I like them and some of us are hoping to pick up some cute swim girl as well as getting in our workout.

For the bike, obviously bib shorts all the time unless it takes you more than a few seconds to change into a proper run short if you are planning to run afterwards. Those out there doing runs in tri shorts look like weirdos, right up there with people wearing their aero helmet on a training ride. And a nice short pair of running shorts help you work on that upper leg tan so it doesn't look like you are wearing jammers in the pool when you are wearing a speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim in Speedo jammers. As several others said, chlorine kills suits, so don’t wear your good stuff in the pool. I race in a one-piece tri suit. I train in bike shorts. Only reason is I don’t own tri shorts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next