Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
Well "legal" does not actually mean legal. Since it is illegal at the federal level it is technically illegal at the state level even if the state says it is legal. If the government wanted to which they probably wouldn't they could still get people for using/selling in "legal" states.

Technically a state can make a more restrictive law than the government, but not a less restrictive law.

Also if you work or plan to work for the Government in any manner do not even think about touching it, CBD or any derivative unless you want to loose or not get your job.

I work for the federal government and this is pretty spot on. The feds are kind of staying out of this fight with the States because the writing is on the wall that every state is going to make it legal, which will inevitably force the federal government to legalize it in some manner. This has certainly put the DEA in a weird position the last few years and into the future. The federal government just doesn’t have the resources to fight this fight.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I hate being behind a car when on my bike and smelling the pot smoke. I have no desire to be exposed to the 2nd hand smoke, and the thought of riding a bike near an impaired driver of a 3,000lb vehicle is not exactly comforting.

If folks want to use, fine; just don't expose others and don't compromise the safety of those with/around you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
All I need is some tasty waves and cool buzz and I'm fine.

I was going to post that exact same thing, but thought ... someone probably beat me to it.

I may have to watch that tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This has certainly put the DEA in a weird position the last few years and into the future. The federal government just doesn’t have the resources to fight this fight.

Probably actually in the Fed government's best interest to legalize too. The inability to use conventional banking means a lot of cash businesses with large cash flow. Which makes them massive targets for laundering. I have an FBI buddy who says he's never investigated a dispensary that didn't have some sort of side hustle going.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I’m glad edibles are in vogue, but there’re still people out there trying to load bowls//roll doobies while driving. I think it’s a drop in a bucket compared to distraction caused by phones, but definitely something to look out for.

I did a gravel race a few months ago and stopped at an aid station to witness a dude taking huge hits (granted he was just relaxing and on the way out to the loop while I was coming back and just grabbing some coke for the finish). It smelled horribly strong with carcinogens. It was a pretty damn technical course, and I would hate to ride next to that dude, no matter his skill and tolerance. There’s just no place for this in competition IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So funny to read some of these misconceptions on weed smoking and physical ability/ impairment.

You realize the entire action sports industry was created around ‘weird stoner sports’ ie skateboard, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, dh biking etc.?

Also the sports which require insane coordination and agility to just not kill yourself if you mess up. Not like messing up T2 transition...

Not to say Everyone is high all the time but it is much more culturally accepted , and when you get baked you fucking shred, everyone knows that.

Common knowledge I thought, but apparently not.
Last edited by: JYoung: Feb 14, 20 22:23
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure what your point is here. Is it that I have a misconception about one’s ability to “shred” while high? Having ridden high 100s of times, I would never trust myself to race impaired (nor would it even cross my mind tbh).

To each their own, IMO, it doesn’t matter how amazing you think your skills are - if you’re stoned, go ride a local trail, but don’t show up to a race with single track. It’s common decency to fellow riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There may well be a lot of stoners out there shredding on boards and action sports but I would bet none of those guys are at the Olympics or seen competing in the top of their sports. Maybe action videos but I think you will find these guys now take their sport as serious as any athlete at that level. The strength and conditioning alone surfers and boarders do is insane at the top level and it would no longer be viewed as cool or acceptable at the top level of sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
There may well be a lot of stoners out there shredding on boards and action sports but I would bet none of those guys are at the Olympics or seen competing in the top of their sports. Maybe action videos but I think you will find these guys now take their sport as serious as any athlete at that level. The strength and conditioning alone surfers and boarders do is insane at the top level and it would no longer be viewed as cool or acceptable at the top level of sport.

You’re seem detached/delusional. Especially the last part of the last sentence. lol

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering under competition they will fall under standard drug testing protocol as triathletes how am I detached?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
So funny to read some of these misconceptions on weed smoking and physical ability/ impairment.

You realize the entire action sports industry was created around ‘weird stoner sports’ ie skateboard, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, dh biking etc.?

Also the sports which require insane coordination and agility to just not kill yourself if you mess up. Not like messing up T2 transition...

Not to say Everyone is high all the time but it is much more culturally accepted , and when you get baked you fucking shred, everyone knows that.

Common knowledge I thought, but apparently not.

I’ve also seen these dudes crash and burn pretty bad. Maybe high, maybe not, but they are doing it to themselves not crashing into to another competitor.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last part of that paragraph you said ‘it would no longer be viewed as cool or acceptable at the top level of sport.’

This is a ridiculous statement for snowboarding or surfing. 420 is legit in both of these sports. It’s in the culture. It has been for a while.

You sound like you’re not a boarder.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well maybe not boarding but I know the top level surfers have changed their tune and if Olympic level snowboarders at the top level I am surprised.

https://www.theinertia.com/...cy-andy-irons-death/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things may be different now... I do see that top level snowboarders seem to prepare more as athletes than they used to, for better or worse, but board sports are so inextricably linked to weed, its always going to be part of the culture. It's still super common to toke up in the gondola on the way up (the "ganjala") and at little off-piste hideaways.

I think a lot of people new to 420 culture don't realize the differences between strains and dosing methods. For example if you want to have a good sleep, in my experience, an indicia based strain with some CBD content is best.

The problem I've experienced with weed, from a training perspective, is that I tend to lose self discipline and snack too much. It's not conducive to achieving or maintaining race weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This has certainly put the DEA in a weird position the last few years and into the future. The federal government just doesn’t have the resources to fight this fight.

Agreed. The US drug war was/is a one trillion dollar waste of taxpayer money.
(A trillion is a million millions, so it is a seriously big boatload of cash ... )

Have you ever seen this flick? Not fiction, a documentary.
Trailer:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 16, 20 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, if you like DUIs going up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve competed in almost 20 of these ‘extreme ski’ events over the years. All on the devils lettuce.

Alaska Championships, US Championships
Canadian Championships, Top 5 in four of the 5x in World Championships I was in.... dang 11th in snowboarding.

Speaking of triathlon , in 2008 I was running my own little ski building factory so I built myself a snow board , alpine and telemark ski then competed in each discipline World event back to back when they came to Alaska. Now that was ten days of nervous tension.

Watched one guy get paralyzed, another ended up in hospital for 3 month and another left this earthly plane. Ahh shoot now I’m ranting...

I get hyper ambitious and creative on weed if you must know.
Last edited by: JYoung: Feb 15, 20 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
tyme wrote:
Well "legal" does not actually mean legal. Since it is illegal at the federal level it is technically illegal at the state level even if the state says it is legal. If the government wanted to which they probably wouldn't they could still get people for using/selling in "legal" states.

Technically a state can make a more restrictive law than the government, but not a less restrictive law.

Also if you work or plan to work for the Government in any manner do not even think about touching it, CBD or any derivative unless you want to lose or not get your job.

I work for the federal government and this is pretty spot on. The feds are kind of staying out of this fight with the States because the writing is on the wall that every state is going to make it legal, which will inevitably force the federal government to legalize it in some manner. This has certainly put the DEA in a weird position the last few years and into the future. The federal government just doesn’t have the resources to fight this fight.

I've had a high level clearance for decades. It's worth a lot of money to maintain and only a fool would risk their clearance for weed or other drugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Well maybe not boarding but I know the top level surfers have changed their tune and if Olympic level snowboarders at the top level I am surprised.

https://www.theinertia.com/...cy-andy-irons-death/

Trailer for the doc referenced in the link

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next