Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community?
Quote | Reply
Weed is becoming legal in more states. How do triathletes feel about this relative to their sport. Is it something that can help with recovery, or should we feel even more unsafe while running and biking on the roads?
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
far out
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I need is some tasty waves and cool buzz and I'm fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have zero opinion as to how this impacts my triathlon hobby. Never even crossed my mind until your post. Then again, I live in Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Colorado (where weed has been legal for years) and am a fan of edibles, which I regularly consume. As far as I can tell, they have no discernable impact on my training either good or bad. The only thing is if I eat a few before a workout, then it better be an easy one because I'm just going to want to cruise. I haven't experimented with CBD though, only THC.
Last edited by: jhammond: Feb 13, 20 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, I donā€™t really care. Like alcohol, I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ to be intoxicated or care if someone else does.
Idiots will use crap while driving, legal or not. Laws donā€™t seem to change behaviors anymore (if they ever did?).
Do your best to stay safe.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that a puff or two before bed, which gives me a buzz akin to drinking one glass of wine, makes me sleep like a champion and wake up with the opposite of a hangover: well rested, alert, not groggy etc.

I very rarely partake, as it generally just doesn't cross my mind. Every few months I might have some.

I don't particularly care how much/little other people use.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I have zero opinion as to how this impacts my triathlon hobby. Never even crossed my mind until your post. Then again, I live in Texas.

Same here. We have drug test to get a job, so I will never smoke.
I want to find a good decent job whenever I can!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well "legal" does not actually mean legal. Since it is illegal at the federal level it is technically illegal at the state level even if the state says it is legal. If the government wanted to which they probably wouldn't they could still get people for using/selling in "legal" states.

Technically a state can make a more restrictive law than the government, but not a less restrictive law.

Also if you work or plan to work for the Government in any manner do not even think about touching it, CBD or any derivative unless you want to loose or not get your job.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Meh, I donā€™t really care. Like alcohol, I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ to be intoxicated or care if someone else does.
Idiots will use crap while driving, legal or not. Laws donā€™t seem to change behaviors anymore (if they ever did?).

Lol, I don't think this was the point of the OP, but fair enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like someone else noted, it helps with putting me to sleep. Recently though, I've been wearing my Polar Vantage to bed to track my sleep habits, and just like a few drinks, I don't get as good of a night of sleep after a gummy bear as I do without it. I "feel" like I sleep better, but in reality it is more fitful sleep. I've noticed that any more than a single drink my sleep suffers. Same with THC. The only thing i've found that helps put me to sleep but doesn't affect the quality of that sleep (if I'm to believe my sleep monitor) is a dose of melatonin 30-60 minutes before I want to fall asleep.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tobrien wrote:
Weed is becoming legal in more states. How do triathletes feel about this relative to their sport. Is it something that can help with recovery, or should we feel even more unsafe while running and biking on the roads?

not legal in my state yet but I'd be curious about the help with recovery. I've used cbd oil and didn't feel it did much for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in creating athletic challenges like the beer mile- only weirder.

The last time I was in Colorado I rode from Morrison to the summit of Mt. Evans- after a breakfast of edibles.
The ride was about 100 miles and 8000+ ft of climbing (including accents on the way down).
It was pretty epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
I am interested in creating athletic challenges like the beer mile- only weirder.

The last time I was in Colorado I rode from Morrison to the summit of Mt. Evans- after a breakfast of edibles.
The ride was about 100 miles and 8000+ ft of climbing (including accents on the way down).
It was pretty epic.

Dude. do you have the strava of this? I'd love to do this route when the weather warms up (sans edibles).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't touched weed for... 15 years?
It's legal in Canada, and I have no desire to go buy it.

I think edibles might be used effectively for ultra-endurance events like ultra marathons or bikepacking races.
A few edibles to stoke the appetite on a stomach that has gone south.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

It was pretty epic.

Dude. do you have the strava of this? I'd love to do this route when the weather warms up (sans edibles).

I think I went on a route like:

Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt that there is much to be gained physically.

The interesting thing is how you might relate to training and racing mentally.

Training and racing are meditative activities and can take you to some pretty weird places (without involving weed).

With weed I think the possibilities are greater.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Same here. We have drug test to get a job, so I will never smoke.
I want to find a good decent job whenever I can!!

Weed just became legal here in Illinois on January 1st. People were waiting in line at the local dispensary for as much as 5 hours on New Years day, as if it was going to be illegal again the next day. To this day, I still see people standing in line outside in the cold in the middle of of a "work day." I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm a little surprised at the popularity.

It's not something I personally intend to partake in, but I don't care that much what people do in their own home. My only concern is whether it means more people will be driving around high. That concern is obviously amplified exponentially when I'm out on the bike.

FWIW, our legal counsel has advised us that, because the metabolites can be persistent for weeks after the "high" wears off, we're not allowed to deny employment for a positive cannabis urine test anymore. Therefore we no longer are screening for it on the pre-employment physical. Nor can we terminate anyone just for testing positive. If we think somebody's under the influence, they actually have to fail a cognitive test (administered by the Occupational Medicine department at the local hospital) for us to have grounds for termination.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 13, 20 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Weed just became legal here in Illinois on January 1st. People were waiting in line at the local dispensary for as much as 5 hours on New Years day, as if it was going to be illegal again the next day. To this day, I still see people standing in line outside in the cold in the middle of of a "work day."

Drove by the dispensary on my way back from lunch, and they're 20 deep waiting outside. Mind you, the ambient temp is 15* F, wind chill is -3*, and snow is falling. Must be a helluva drug ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some articles that relate (not surprisingly) to trail running.

https://www.sbnation.com/...ts-420/avery-collins

https://www.esquire.com/...ana-affects-running/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here are some articles that relate (not surprisingly) to trail running.

https://www.sbnation.com/...ts-420/avery-collins

https://www.esquire.com/...ana-affects-running/

Great reads.
Quote Reply
Re: Weed is becoming legal in more states - what is the reaction from triathlon community? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Velocibuddha wrote:
I believe there was an Iron Lung race at my university back in the '90s... but may have been a rumour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experimented workouts completely baked and I can say 1000% that weed is a PED if dosed / managed properly in order to improve focus (being extremely present) & pain tolerance. The stereotype of the weed making you feel like a donut on a couch doesnt happen if you pick the right strain and train your body to feel it properly. There is a profound advantage in being able to feel deeply how your body reacts during various training zones.

This statement doesnt excuse any f*** up behavior while being intoxicated on weed, booze or whatever. I'm just sharing my experience while experimenting on my bike trainer.

Lets keep it safe no matter what the circumstances folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people are already driving around impaired by opioids, muscle relaxers, alcohol, etc. so weed is no different IMO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next