Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I don’t get what people say about a “wide field of vision” in their goggles. Almost every single body of water I’ve been in,* training or racing, has been in murky water. I could have a mask like the SEALs used in “The Abyss” and I still wouldn’t be able to see anything under water. Anything I see is in very short intervals while I breathe or sight, and a wide field would make absolutely no difference. I agree that Malmsten Swedish goggles (and their clones and derived versions) are basically all lens. I found a pair of Orca goggles and used those several times in OWS training. In a practical sense, there was no difference in what I “saw.”

Yeah I just use race goggles. Most of my swims are in clear water, some murky, but can't see how wide field of visions goggles are necessary. You just need to be able to spot other swimmers, buoys and sight. TBH things like decent anti-fog and tint are more important hence the reason I stick to Arena. Their anti-fog seems to shit all over Speedo as does their tinted/mirrored goggles. Not sure if anyone has experienced this with Speedos, but I found their tinted and mirrored goggles had the tint flake, making them hard to see out of. I think they use a film? The Arena goggles seem to be made differently.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up getting a pair of Kayennes in polarized to try out. I'll let you know how they are this week, have high hopes!

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

arena Nimesis Crystal Large, smoke-clear-black

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 0 luck with these.... Leaked like crazy no matter how I adjusted them

Trying cobra ultra now

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Yeah I just use race goggles. Most of my swims are in clear water, some murky, but can't see how wide field of visions goggles are necessary. You just need to be able to spot other swimmers, buoys and sight.

Thomas Gerlach just gave the answer above: "Without a doubt not only do googles like the Aquasphere Kayenne increase the field of vision but the do it in a way that keep the goggles slim still and they don't require you to life your head as high to actually use that increased vision which at least theoretically should make you faster because your legs won't sink as much."

This exactly matches my experience, goggles that don't restrict the top of my field of vision don't force me to raise my head as high to sight and don't result in my body dropping as much on sighting strokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe also try the Tyr Special Ops 2.0. Wide field of vision, good optics, polarized, and very comfortable. I used them for a few years before switching over to the Roka R1 but I may pick up another pair for open water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I had 0 luck with these.... Leaked like crazy no matter how I adjusted them

Trying cobra ultra now

Good to know. What version did you get for your face? The small-fit, regular-fit? What size is your face? Also, remember, googles have a very specific amount of tension that is needed. Too much tension can be just as problematic as too little.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Good to know. What version did you get for your face? The small-fit, regular-fit? What size is your face? Also, remember, googles have a very specific amount of tension that is needed. Too much tension can be just as problematic as too little.

I got the regular fit, I have a big head but regular sized face.

I spent probably 15 minutes monkeying with them in between laps and could just not get them to work.

I'm glad you have something you enjoy though! I just need to keep searching myself. If only one thing worked the same for everyone our lives would be so much easier

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tried the Cobra Ultra today, right on the money! No leaks, perfect fit with adjustable nose pieces, straps didn't move after kick turns, absolutely in love!

I didn't get the swipe ones for pool use, but I probably will for my race goggles

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:

arena Nimesis Crystal Large, smoke-clear-black

Normal size for me are perfect. With large there's some leakage. I guess it depends on the shape of your face
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Just tried the Cobra Ultra today, right on the money! No leaks, perfect fit with adjustable nose pieces, straps didn't move after kick turns, absolutely in love!

I didn't get the swipe ones for pool use, but I probably will for my race goggles

Yup they're awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched the Cody Miller vlog this morning, looks like TYR has a new goggle coming out that looks a lot like the Arena Cobra Ultra.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would be the difference between the two?

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I wrote a piece on the best swim triathlete swim goggles recently with more details on my choice, but in short, and I am technically sponsored by BlueSeventy and I do like their goggles too, but the best goggles I have ever used for Open Water is the Aquasphere Kayenne goggle. Simply put it is:

- Soft on your face
- Easily adjustability for proper tension
- wide frame of view
- comes in both small-fit and regular fit for different faces.

Kayennes are my go to goggles also. I tried the Rokas but they just didn't fit me well. I was out of town a few years back and left my goggles at home so I had to buy what was available locally. I ended up finding some Aquasphere Kaimans and those worked nearly as well as the Kayennes.

I wear contacts so a good sealing goggle is key. The Kayennes also don't fog up as easy as other goggles I've used as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
What would be the difference between the two?

dunno. I just saw they were coming out with one, it hasn't even been released yet. Looking at the TYR site, it looks like it will be called the Edge-X, but there's no page for it.

looks like it doesn't have the stabilizing bars, maybe a bit higher profile, so maybe closer to the Arena Cobra Core than the Ultra?

Just throwing those out there as an option for those of you who want to support an American company.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 22, 20 6:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next