Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Open Water Swim Goggles?
Quote | Reply
I've tried the Roka R1 for the past couple seasons and don't hate them, but don't love them either. I love the field of view, but hate how hard it is to adjust them and get them perfect.

I just tried the Orca Killa 180 and hated them because they did not stay adjusted and did not seal properly. However, they were significantly more comfortable that the Rokas.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a google that has a good field of view like the Rokas, while being as comfortable as the Orcas? Something along the lines of the lenses of the Rokas & the straps of the Orcas would be awesome if such a thing exists

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedes ;-)

seriously though, if you aren't a swedes wearer, then I hate any goggle that doesn't have an adjustable nose bridge. I don't have any direct experience with them, but I have noticed a couple of new options that you might want to try out. Huub has a Brownlee goggle as well as the Altair (both with interchangeable nosepieces and Arena has the Cobra in an OW/Tri version, which is a higher profile than their Cobra Ultra. the swipe tech they use is pretty cool too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look up "snake and pig basilisk" on amazon.

a couple of year ago at captex tri they had a booth at the indoor expo. small company but good product. i swapped over from wearing rokas to these and i love them so much more.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the field of vision on these? They look like they may have a little less than the Rokas

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
How is the field of vision on these? They look like they may have a little less than the Rokas

i didnt notice any difference at all. the comfort level is night and day versus the rokas.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swedes ;-)

seriously though, if you aren't a swedes wearer, then I hate any goggle that doesn't have an adjustable nose bridge. I don't have any direct experience with them, but I have noticed a couple of new options that you might want to try out. Huub has a Brownlee goggle as well as the Altair (both with interchangeable nosepieces and Arena has the Cobra in an OW/Tri version, which is a higher profile than their Cobra Ultra. the swipe tech they use is pretty cool too.

Agreed.

Also, why do people some people say they need a wider field of view?

Seriously, I follow the people in front of me unless I can see turn buoy, I'm not looking side to side at the pretty black wetsuits next to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

For me I like how it feels more "natural", meaning that it becomes less obvious to me over the IM distance that I am wearing goggles and it feels like I am just seeing naturally. Having my peripherals blinded doesn't feel good over long periods of time.

I don't know if this would affect performance or anything, but just one of those nit picky triathlete things for me personally

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which is one of the really nice things about swedes ;-) seriously, they're nothing but lens.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
jaretj wrote:

For me I like how it feels more "natural", meaning that it becomes less obvious to me over the IM distance that I am wearing goggles and it feels like I am just seeing naturally. Having my peripherals blinded doesn't feel good over long periods of time.

I don't know if this would affect performance or anything, but just one of those nit picky triathlete things for me personally

OK, I get that.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
which is one of the really nice things about swedes ;-) seriously, they're nothing but lens.

And, if I'm following someone on a sunny day in open water I don't have look up cuz I can see their feet in the top of my goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

And, if I'm following someone on a sunny day in open water I don't have look up cuz I can see their feet in the top of my goggles.

im such a crap swimmer if im that close im about to get kicked in the face.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

And...if you're not comfortable with plastic directly on your eye sockets for congested, full-contact triathlon swims go with TYR Socket Rocket or Arena Swedix (or others) that have a silicone gasket for more comfort. Those are the only two I've used in triathlons and never had any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote a piece on the best swim triathlete swim goggles recently with more details on my choice, but in short, and I am technically sponsored by BlueSeventy and I do like their goggles too, but the best goggles I have ever used for Open Water is the Aquasphere Kayenne goggle. Simply put it is:

- Soft on your face
- Easily adjustability for proper tension
- wide frame of view
- comes in both small-fit and regular fit for different faces.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like swedes because of the biff on a triathlon start (no pansy rolling starts where I am, mass starts still rule 😁) - a smack in the eye really hurts, and I'm not fast enough to get off the front into the clear.

So....I'm 50% with Thomas above - Aquasphere Kayennes. Comfy and not stuuipidly priced.

My other 50% ? Zoggs Predator Flex. But make sure they are the 'original' design and not the Mk2. And not 3 year old stock as they went through a phase of cocking up the nose bridge manufacture causing many early breakages (i had 3 break in quick suscession - all back to OK since they fixed that.
The Mk2 is? for everyone I know who's tried them, just shiiite (uncomfortable + leaks no matter how you do it up - a fine example of how to make a good product bad by 'Improving' it).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Orca Killa 180s and will never use anything else. I think they are amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastskin elite mirror by Speedo.
I love them, and every triathlete in my training group who tried them loves them.

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
Fastskin elite mirror by Speedo.
I love them, and every triathlete in my training group who tried them loves them.

They’re a love or hate goggle for sure. Most uncomfortable goggles I’ve ever tried, since my eyelids touch the lens.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t get what people say about a “wide field of vision” in their goggles. Almost every single body of water I’ve been in,* training or racing, has been in murky water. I could have a mask like the SEALs used in “The Abyss” and I still wouldn’t be able to see anything under water. Anything I see is in very short intervals while I breathe or sight, and a wide field would make absolutely no difference. I agree that Malmsten Swedish goggles (and their clones and derived versions) are basically all lens. I found a pair of Orca goggles and used those several times in OWS training. In a practical sense, there was no difference in what I “saw.”

Think about this: you should be breathing every stroke cycle in an OWS race or training. Assuming the water is murky, you won’t see much unless you’re breathing or sighting (if you’re smart, you’ll be on the toes of someone faster, or keeping a comparable swimmer on your breathing side, so you can sight them and never have to pick up your head to sight). Assume a breathing ratio in a range of once every 1.5 to 2.9 seconds (plug in your own formula for time/25 and # breaths/25). In that very short period, you’re not breathing with your head out for the entire time, so your one eye is out of the water for a fraction of a second. If you’re swimming head up the entire time (“alligator eyes,” “Tarzan stroke”), you’re completely inefficient. I find it hard to imagine that any goggle’s purported advantage in “field” will make any difference at all.

I’ve never been hit in the eyes while wearing Swedish goggles, in racing, training, or meet warm-up. Warm-up at a major pool meet is chaos.

All that said, buy the cheap goggles. These don’t have to be Swedish. If you like a gasket (neoprene, silicone, or TPR) there are plenty to choose from under $10. My top recommendations are Swedish (and clones), Dpeedo or Tyr Sprint, Speedo Vanquisher (and clones), and Water Gear Competition I (formerly Hind Compy).

In the past 10 years (age 38-48) I’ve spent about $100 TOTAL on goggles. I used Swedish, as well as TPR and neoprene gaskets. I’ve done well over 8000km in that time, pool and OWS. I’ve never once felt that I needed to spend more to get a “wider field.” There’s just no need.

* I swam in the Caribbean on my honeymoon, as well as during a training trip in college. The ONLY time I’ve been in clear open water.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Jan 9, 20 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wider field of vision, at least I’ve always assumed, is not to enjoy some fish viewing, but for when your head is above water and trying to spot swimmers, buoys, etc. Given your comment that your head is only above water for fractions of a second—which I don’t disagree with—I think having a wider field of vision is even that much more important. I think the Roka goggles make a material difference—how much exactly, it is difficult to quantify.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 9, 20 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub Aphotic for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swedes ;-)

I've been using the Cobra Ultras for a few years and they're great, haven't felt the need to use their Tri version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The things I need to see in a triathlon swim aren’t in the water and because I want to spend as little time with my head in a sighting position I prefer a lense with the least amount of frame to it. And Swedish giggle fit my eye sockets the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good field of view - Aqua Sphere Seal 2.0

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I don’t get what people say about a “wide field of vision” in their goggles. Almost every single body of water I’ve been in,* training or racing, has been in murky water. I could have a mask like the SEALs used in “The Abyss” and I still wouldn’t be able to see anything under water. Anything I see is in very short intervals while I breathe or sight, and a wide field would make absolutely no difference. I agree that Malmsten Swedish goggles (and their clones and derived versions) are basically all lens. I found a pair of Orca goggles and used those several times in OWS training. In a practical sense, there was no difference in what I “saw.”

Think about this: you should be breathing every stroke cycle in an OWS race or training. Assuming the water is murky, you won’t see much unless you’re breathing or sighting (if you’re smart, you’ll be on the toes of someone faster, or keeping a comparable swimmer on your breathing side, so you can sight them and never have to pick up your head to sight). Assume a breathing ratio in a range of once every 1.5 to 2.9 seconds (plug in your own formula for time/25 and # breaths/25). In that very short period, you’re not breathing with your head out for the entire time, so your one eye is out of the water for a fraction of a second. If you’re swimming head up the entire time (“alligator eyes,” “Tarzan stroke”), you’re completely inefficient. I find it hard to imagine that any goggle’s purported advantage in “field” will make any difference at all.

I’ve never been hit in the eyes while wearing Swedish goggles, in racing, training, or meet warm-up. Warm-up at a major pool meet is chaos.

All that said, buy the cheap goggles. These don’t have to be Swedish. If you like a gasket (neoprene, silicone, or TPR) there are plenty to choose from under $10. My top recommendations are Swedish (and clones), Dpeedo or Tyr Sprint, Speedo Vanquisher (and clones), and Water Gear Competition I (formerly Hind Compy).

In the past 10 years (age 38-48) I’ve spent about $100 TOTAL on goggles. I used Swedish, as well as TPR and neoprene gaskets. I’ve done well over 8000km in that time, pool and OWS. I’ve never once felt that I needed to spend more to get a “wider field.” There’s just no need.

* I swam in the Caribbean on my honeymoon, as well as during a training trip in college. The ONLY time I’ve been in clear open water.

I am going to venture a guess that you have sort of swim background (even younger than 38 but maybe not) and it is generally isn't as congested when racing. Originally, learning to swim at 26 and swimming 1:12 I think in first Ironman I can tell you I was in the middle of the pack. So x2 on the wider field of vision being easier for sighting. I am also colorblind and for whatever reason, RDs think that red buoys, up against a green horizon is a great idea for visibility. It isn't. Without a doubt not only do googles like the Aquasphere Kayenne increase the field of vision but the do it in a way that keep the goggles slim still and they don't require you to life your head as high to actually use that increased vision which at least theoretically should make you faster because your legs won't sink as much. Following the person to the right of you, assuming you are the exact same speed is risky, even in the pro ranks, when that person doesn't know where they are going.

I am a huge cheapy on stuff but goggles isn't one of those places - especially when most people hate swimming. Also, highly recommend swimming in Hawaii. Plenty of stuff to see while swimming.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to wear swedes for decades and have recently switched to the TYR Black Hawk Racing goggles. These are my new favorites, very adjustable, and the gaskets seal well. Great field of vision in open water.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Open Water Swim Goggles? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo MDR 2.4 works great for me. They may not be the most sleek option in water, but the vision is great and they are perfectly comfortable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next