Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things have really changed for me since I started to monitor my sleep performances through Whoop. Amazing sleep tracker IMHO. I often compare Whoop and Garmin data but I think Garmin overestimates my sleep duration by 10-15%.

Whoop has also helped me to create a sound circadian rythm which I did not have before. I can really see the difference both in training and life in general (no more unexpected fatigue throughout the day, no need to use an alarm clock anymore, better mood, etc.).

Garmin is a decent tracker for those who don't want to invest in an additional one, but I would definitely recommend to listen to Whoop's podcasts dedicated to sleep in order to understand some mechanisms.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
While I agree with nearly everything said about sleep in this thread, a few things are missing.

First, some people are just good sleepers. 8 hours is ideal and many can do that night in and night out. Some can't. My wife is an amazing sleeper. She could probably sleep 10 hours every night with no problem. When she gets worn out, she can simply do 12 hours. I've been a poor sleeper all my life (spare me the how to sleep better talks, I do them all). My body wakes up around 415 every morning. As a kid it was 630. So 8 hours is almost out of the equation. 7 is average for me but I know at least one night a week it will be closer to 5.5. I have no control over this and have tried nearly everything over the years so I can't just go get 9 hours during a heavy training cycle. It doesn't happen

The second point, IMO, is that your routine is just as important as the amount of sleep you get. 8 hours from 930 - 530 is going to feel a whole lot different than 1130-730 on the body. Especially the older you get. I think that is why I function well on less sleep. I go to bed and wake up at nearly the same time every night and morning. My circadian rhythm is steady. Most people are all over the map in that regard.

All that said, I am crazy jealous of you all who can sleep in. I'd love to go on vacation and get 8-9 hours. Or simply sleep in on the weekend.

Pretty much exact same for me. I probably average 4.5 to 6 hours sleep. I -do- think I'd do better on more sleep, but I just can't seem to get it. In my mid-40's. I've never tried using a true sleep medication, maybe I should look in to it. I have used Melatonin, but don't really find it -keeps- me asleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
While I agree with nearly everything said about sleep in this thread, a few things are missing.

First, some people are just good sleepers. 8 hours is ideal and many can do that night in and night out. Some can't. My wife is an amazing sleeper. She could probably sleep 10 hours every night with no problem. When she gets worn out, she can simply do 12 hours. I've been a poor sleeper all my life (spare me the how to sleep better talks, I do them all). My body wakes up around 415 every morning. As a kid it was 630. So 8 hours is almost out of the equation. 7 is average for me but I know at least one night a week it will be closer to 5.5. I have no control over this and have tried nearly everything over the years so I can't just go get 9 hours during a heavy training cycle. It doesn't happen

Wow. You saved me some typing. That's word for word my story. I've never been a good sleeper. I couldn't sleep past 5 AM if you paid me to. Tried getting off caffeine, darkening the room, no blue light, ... but BOOM! wide awake every morning by 5 with a couple times getting up in the night.

My wife has never goofed off or slacked a minute in her life, but dang can she sleep. She averages at least 10 hours per night. I've never heard of another healthy adult sleeping that much. When she's up she rarely sits down and is going the whole time. She's either charging hard or sleeping, with nothing in-between. I'm more phlegmatic and frequently tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
The second point, IMO, is that your routine is just as important as the amount of sleep you get. 8 hours from 930 - 530 is going to feel a whole lot different than 1130-730 on the body. Especially the older you get. I think that is why I function well on less sleep. I go to bed and wake up at nearly the same time every night and morning. My circadian rhythm is steady. Most people are all over the map in that regard.

All that said, I am crazy jealous of you all who can sleep in. I'd love to go on vacation and get 8-9 hours. Or simply sleep in on the weekend.

I'm all over the map. Maybe being more routine would help. I worked the overnight shift for 5 years in my 20s and these days I travel to Asia or the Pacific and my ability to go without sleep has helped me in those situations, but at the same time the fact that I couldn't sleep during the day or on an airplane really messed with me.

I'm an ultrarunner but I have no desire to do a 100 miler or 24 hr where I run through the night. I've spent so many dark hours unable to sleep that the idea of voluntarily staying awake all night for my hobby seems crazy to me.

Like you, I would love to be able to sleep in on days off like yesterday and today, but nope.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've struggled with sleep all my life. Very light sleeper, always waking and can never sleep in no matter how late I stay up. I'm constantly shattered, but if I get to sleep I'm wide awake 3-5am and struggle to get back to sleep at all.

I did the whole sleep clinic thing and was diagnosed with periodic limb movement disorder and was. put on klonopin/clonazepam which I took, having to up the dose until I realised I had to get off it. That took months.

For me total blacked out room and earplugs have made a big difference. I never set an alarm to try to sleep as long as I can but still wake up bloody early. Quality of sleep definitely seems better though.

Question for the Americans... Why do youse always seem to get up stupidly early? In the UK unless you have to for work (or a particular occaw) no one I've known actually chooses to get up regularly at 4/5am. This assumption is based on forums and videos with Americans and TV shows too.

My work starts at 8am, schools at 9am
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really good in the 7-7.5 hr range. Since I have 3 soon to be 4 young kids I don't have the luxury of always getting 100% perfect sleep and usually if the kids wake me I don't get back to bed if it's after 3 AM. I can function well on one night of not great sleep. As long as consistently 5-6 days/week I'm hitting my 7+ hrs of sleep. I also rarely sleep more than 8 hrs even if I have time and am not disturbed. My body just says 8hrs and I'm good to go. Averaging 9 hrs is not going to happen for me.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
Question for the Americans... Why do youse always seem to get up stupidly early? In the UK unless you have to for work (or a particular occaw) no one I've known actually chooses to get up regularly at 4/5am. This assumption is based on forums and videos with Americans and TV shows too.

My work starts at 8am, schools at 9am

- lots of people work out before work (this is a triathlon forum)
- people exaggerate. as pointed out earlier, it's for some reason a boast to get up really early.
- a lot of jobs start at 7 or earlier. not sure I actually know anyone who works 9 to 5.
- probably not as common as your perception
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
I'm really good in the 7-7.5 hr range. Since I have 3 soon to be 4 young kids I don't have the luxury of always getting 100% perfect sleep.

This. I have a 6 and 3 year old who are both shitty sleepers. I'm up at least once a night if it's for a potty trip or lost stuffed animal. Also the days I get to sleep in, they are up bright and early.

Kids ruin sleep. Can you tell I'm tired right now?
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benadryl is bad for your brain.
Can't remember the chemical mechanism but it was being linked to dementia.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a puppy that has me up at 5:30 am every day, so I rarely sleep in.

That said, I give myself "permission" to go to sleep whenever I am tired throughout the months of November and December (I also dial my workouts WAY back). My kids are grown, so that's not something I have to worry about; and yes, I will sometimes head up to bed at 7:30 pm. Also, I don't drink alcohol much during that time, because I feel like it interferes with my sleep.

That probably sounds a bit weird, but I have found that the better I reload during those two months, the more I am ready to tackle the (work and workout) stresses during the rest of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

Pretty much exact same for me. I probably average 4.5 to 6 hours sleep. I -do- think I'd do better on more sleep, but I just can't seem to get it. In my mid-40's. I've never tried using a true sleep medication, maybe I should look in to it. I have used Melatonin, but don't really find it -keeps- me asleep.

So I've used melatonin sporadically. It helps put you asleep, not necessarily keep you there. I have NO issue falling asleep. I can get in bed and be out in 5-10 minutes. I consider myself lucky in that regard. What I hate about melatonin is the groggy feeling the next morning. I think it stays in your system for about 10 hours. So for me, it leaves me feeling in a daze. I don't drink coffee so I don't have that stimulus to help.

I have also used ashwagandha and magnesium citrate in hot water. Both have a very positive impact on my sleep. I just hate that a bed time routine feels like a chore.

Maybe i should take everyone else's advice and just used edibles periodically.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours sleep do you need? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you need an alarm clock you don't get enough sleep.

4yo comes Into our bed around 4am and 1yo Wakes up no later than 5:30. I haven’t had an alarm Clock for years... still struggle big time with sleep. Never more than 6hrs/night (unless I am on blissful business’s travel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next