Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might be an issue with "neutral" wheels provided by the organization and not your own wheel-set.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse my ignorance but I thought all disc brake bikes had thru axles. That alone would make wheel changes slow, not to mention issues with neutral support compatibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some disc brake bikes use standard quick release skewers.

And thru axles can also be quick release.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a DQ at ITU triathlon for outside assistance
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I've had 4 bikes with disc - 3 hydraulic and 1 mechanical - and 3 of those are in constant use. The oldest, a mtb circa 2005, only had an issue when a rock or root tore out the hose on a trail. Over a 10+ year lifespan I think I bled the brakes only twice and it performed great (on Vancouver's North Shore no less).

The pads had to get replaced relatively quickly on my new Trek mtb with top end hydraulics but to be fair it was during a very technical and muddy 7-day mtb stage race. And I rode the brakes too much, like waaay too much, enough to discolour the rotor. Without the racing (that particular race esp.) I'd be looking at pad replacement less than once per year easily but YMMV.

The mechanical road discs are super easy to maintain, but still only replacing pads every other year despite it being my rainy/crappy weather cx/commuter bike which sees the most miles. The wear and performance are sooo much better than rim brakes in sketchy weather, although mechanical still isn't as good as hydraulics for performance.

The DA hydraulics on the road bike are a dream.

That said, zero reason to replace my rim brake tri bike - braking would just slow you down in a race anyway. All that expense for nothing.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Quote:
The one nice thing about the disc Madone and SuperSix is the ability to run pretty huge tires because you don't have to worry about getting the tire through the brake caliper. This turns your aero road bike into a killer gravel racer. I can't do that on my rim brake Madone.

To be fair...that's not necessarily a function of rim brake vs. disc, but more of the actual design of the bike and the equipment selected by the designer.

which kiiiiind of makes it a function of a rim brake bike vs. a disc brake bike, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Quote:
The one nice thing about the disc Madone and SuperSix is the ability to run pretty huge tires because you don't have to worry about getting the tire through the brake caliper. This turns your aero road bike into a killer gravel racer. I can't do that on my rim brake Madone.

To be fair...that's not necessarily a function of rim brake vs. disc, but more of the actual design of the bike and the equipment selected by the designer.

which kiiiiind of makes it a function of a rim brake bike vs. a disc brake bike, no?

Depends on the bike...for example, my own aero road bike can fit 32mm wide tires in the rear and up to 36mm in the front, all with caliper-style rim brakes.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can break down a rim brake bike, you have the ability to maintain a disc brake bike.

Disc brake is the shiznit. Get it and don’t look back. Get hydro. Cable disc brakes blow.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:
FWIW I've had 4 bikes with disc - 3 hydraulic and 1 mechanical - and 3 of those are in constant use. The oldest, a mtb circa 2005, only had an issue when a rock or root tore out the hose on a trail. Over a 10+ year lifespan I think I bled the brakes only twice and it performed great (on Vancouver's North Shore no less).

The pads had to get replaced relatively quickly on my new Trek mtb with top end hydraulics but to be fair it was during a very technical and muddy 7-day mtb stage race. And I rode the brakes too much, like waaay too much, enough to discolour the rotor. Without the racing (that particular race esp.) I'd be looking at pad replacement less than once per year easily but YMMV.

The mechanical road discs are super easy to maintain, but still only replacing pads every other year despite it being my rainy/crappy weather cx/commuter bike which sees the most miles. The wear and performance are sooo much better than rim brakes in sketchy weather, although mechanical still isn't as good as hydraulics for performance.

The DA hydraulics on the road bike are a dream.

That said, zero reason to replace my rim brake tri bike - braking would just slow you down in a race anyway. All that expense for nothing.

Another example that is making me think I was off on my thinking!
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
If you can break down a rim brake bike, you have the ability to maintain a disc brake bike.

Disc brake is the shiznit. Get it and don’t look back. Get hydro. Cable disc brakes blow.

I think enough people here have convinced me to go down the hyrdro disc route and hop on the train
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My front and rear disc brakes failed as a result of the seals in the shifters deteriorating from excessive sweat as I am a heavy sweater and live in a very warm and humid climate. I brought my canyon to an authorized Shimano dealer and Shimano would not warranty the shifters/brakes due to sweat corrosion. Very expensive fix that was not an issue in my non disc bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
My front and rear disc brakes failed as a result of the seals in the shifters deteriorating from excessive sweat as I am a heavy sweater and live in a very warm and humid climate. I brought my canyon to an authorized Shimano dealer and Shimano would not warranty the shifters/brakes due to sweat corrosion. Very expensive fix that was not an issue in my non disc bikes.

I hear you! I had one aluminum stem corrode and crack from sweating on it. And living in Florida makes me wonder what the heck people need disc brakes for. I have 4 bikes with rim brakes and the only change I make if travelling with the bike to a mountainous area is to take a wheel set with aluminum brake rims. But it's clear the market has turned the corner on discs as has the majority of ST posters who now sound like they could be in marketing for disc brake bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:
What maintenance in regard to hydro? There really isn't any.

Bleeding brakes
Changing pads
Trying rotors
Adjusting brake pad spacing when putting a different wheel on for the first time
....Probably something I’m missing

I just don't get this.
I've been using discs on mtbs for 15 years..the whole appeal of hydraulic discs is they are near maintenance free. And the conditions where I live are shiiiiite..wet, rainy, liquid gritstone etc
(I used to wear out rims brake pads in 1 long ride in winter on the mtb, and have to renew worn out rims every year).

Trueing a disc - only if you do something daft to bend one. And that's like having to true rims if you bust a spoke etc.

Bleed ? Maybe once in 5 years maybe. They are the epitome of fit-and-forget.

Pads ? Probably years between changes in a road bike (unless something stooopid happens like carelessly spraying them with oil.)

How often do people do anything on the hydraulic brakes on a car ? Most people ? Never.
Quote Reply
Re: Stick to rim brakes because of disc maintenance? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, 100%

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're overthinking it... hydraulic disc brakes are near maintenance free once set up. And initial set up is no more difficult than setting up rim brakes and only takes a fraction longer. With the bleed tools, you will get that done in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't base my decision on maintenance... I would base it on what wheels you already have and if you are willing to forego those and replace them with disc brake wheels.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply

Prev Next