Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
monty wrote:
Given that he's not a swimmer's swimmer, could it be that his swim times represent his warm up pace for the day after the previous day's result? //

Ya, those are not horrible times, don't know what his swimming background is. But assuming it is in a SCM pool(I really dont know), it is decent to go about a 1;15 everyday or so. I suppose I am overlaying my history, or that of an ex retired swimmer on him. He certainly leans more towards being a really good ultra runner, just when I look at his pics, he looks pretty big for just a runner.

It looks like he could do 8 minute miles all day long if need be, his jogging pace that he can recover from quickly and do over and over again. What is his stand alone marathon time, anyone know? I would guess around 2;30 or so..

Searching a bit in athlinks.com:
marathon in 2017 in 2:36:25
10k in 2016 in 32:50
challenge roth in 2013 in 9:50:39
im lanzarote in 2014 in 10:06:29

Respectable, though not spectacular, ultramarathon history.

http://statistik.d-u-v.org/...on.php?runner=284585

Just over 8 hours isn't bad for 100km on trail with 1300 metres of vert, though I'm assuming it isn't highly technical trail.

He's a bit off the pace in the Transgrancanaria 125km, (which has a much more competitive and deeper field, greater elevation and more technical trails), where he's finishing adrift of leading women.
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consuming and processing over 10k calories per day at the rate of over 400 per hour 24 hours a day is pretty freaky in and of itself.
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the heart rate data I find impressive. Reeling off 3:20 marathon with an average HR of under 120. Sheesh

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
Consuming and processing over 10k calories per day at the rate of over 400 per hour 24 hours a day is pretty freaky in and of itself.

Assuming 8 hr/night sleep, he'd need to average 625 cal/hr over the 16 waking hours. Where did you see the 10,000 cal/day??? I did not see any reference to his caloric intake on his web site, but 10,000-11,000/day sounds about right. He probably needed to consume a fair amount of high fat foods, just to get enough cals. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:

Yes - this.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:

Assuming 8 hr/night sleep, he'd need to average 625 cal/hr over the 16 waking hours. Where did you see the 10,000 cal/day??? I did not see any reference to his caloric intake on his web site, but 10,000-11,000/day sounds about right. He probably needed to consume a fair amount of high fat foods, just to get enough cals. :)

The "regular" Ironman nutrition plan goes out the window for these folks and anything edible is fair game.The diet of the continuous multi-Iron folks in freaking hilarious sometimes.
His sleep hours are listed in among all this data..
https://www.raitratasepp.ee/...disciplines-and-days
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 18, 19 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: While we are talking multi Iron records how about 40Irons in 40 Day in under 445hrs [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The burn rate at those paces and for IMs in general has him up at 10k+ per day, and doing 40 in a row means he can’t just perpetually lose significant amounts of weight, it almost all has to be replaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
The burn rate at those paces and for IMs in general has him up at 10k+ per day, and doing 40 in a row means he can’t just perpetually lose significant amounts of weight, it almost all has to be replaced.

Certainly, he must replace almost all of his calories burned and 10,000 cal/day is a good estimate. I think you missed my main point though, which was/is that he isn't eating 24 hrs/day since he is sleeping at least 6-7 hr/nt, and probably lying down for 30-60 min more trying to sleep. Thus he is "only" eating around 16-18 hr/day. Minor point I know, but that is all. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:

The "regular" Ironman nutrition plan goes out the window for these folks and anything edible is fair game.The diet of the continuous multi-Iron folks in freaking hilarious sometimes.

Very interesting, thanks for that link. I'm a little surprised that he did not sleep more but perhaps he was too keyed up??? Or he's just not a big sleeper??? Perhaps I am "wired" differently but I am always falling asleep after just a long training day, let alone 40 iron distances in a row. I find all this fascinating but no way in hell will I ever attempt even 5 irons in a row. Now if the "iron distance" had a much longer swim and shorter bike, e.g. like the "IsoMan", I would be up for it. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:

Very interesting, thanks for that link. I'm a little surprised that he did not sleep more but perhaps he was too keyed up??? Or he's just not a big sleeper??? Perhaps I am "wired" differently but I am always falling asleep after just a long training day, let alone 40 iron distances in a row. I find all this fascinating but no way in hell will I ever attempt even 5 irons in a row. Now if the "iron distance" had a much longer swim and shorter bike, e.g. like the "IsoMan", I would be up for it. :)

If you get sleepy after long training days imagine this "next level" way of doing things.In the middle of your 5th straight Ironman lets go perform some emergency surgery...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...xvfFcur5EmF04PZ7WfAA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:

If you get sleepy after long training days imagine this "next level" way of doing things.In the middle of your 5th straight Ironman lets go perform some emergency surgery...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...xvfFcur5EmF04PZ7WfAA

Ya, I remember seeing that article soon after that event. Doing emergency surgery is a bit different though, since he was certainly still pumped from the race. I'm referring to from feeling sleepy after a long training day followed by a good meal. I average around 9 hrs/night as a year-round average.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. Indeed that is an insane rate. In my original post I was commenting on his body processing 24/7 at that rate which is above the rate of 300-400 per hour that is often cited as the most the human body can absorb, at least during events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
I hear ya. Indeed that is an insane rate. In my original post I was commenting on his body processing 24/7 at that rate which is above the rate of 300-400 per hour that is often cited as the most the human body can absorb, at least during events.

Ah, processing over 400 cal/hr over 24 hrs. Ya, for those 40 days and nights, he was not just a SBR machine but also a food processing machine. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next