Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's just people seeking the easiest way out. Doing an Ironman is NOT an easy route to take, even if you finish past the cutoff!

The reality is that the IM is a lonnnnggg race. It's hard, and really hard for most folks who train less than 12 hrs/wk.

Add the substantial number of 50+ and female AGers who aren't going to naturally go as fast as a M30-35, and I really can't blame them for wanting a longer cutoff. Or even a shorter, easier swim - I embrace swimming as much as most, but when you're faced with a 112 mi bike and then a marathon, it's pretty normal to give up some swim training to make sure you can survive that long bike/run.

Right now I'm M40-45, and while I seriously doubt I'd be in danger of missing an IM cutoff at 17hrs now, ask me again in 20 years - I suspect that even if I'm just as motivated as I am now to train and race, the age alone will put me at risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, in this thread people are complaining that bop swimmers and those completing an IM close to the cut off are diminishing the sport. In your other thread you are pointing out how many swim cheats there are in Kona. I’m confused about which class of triathletes diminishes the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
So,off we go for our bus trip around the bike course and as we rolled back into town I told the athletes of the time change to 17hrs and they all cheered.

Bizzare. I wonder if this is an ironman (full course) thing. I've always viewed that distance as a whole different type of event. I think many see it as a matter of survival, i.e. just finish at any cost. Probably one of the reasons I'm not drawn to full ironman distance. I have no desire to walk the marathon.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thread was whether or not people are actually cheating in the swim at the Hawaii Ironman by using swim diapers under their swimskins as posted by someone who participated in the event this year and observed by a volunteer in 2017 with a picture he posted.

The other thread is how people who participate in 70.3s and Ironmans and are not competent swimmers because they either do not put the effort in to improve their swim or are reliant on a wetsuit are affecting the event because race directors are quick to cancel the swim due to the fact they are dealing with the lowest common denominator.

Two separate issues and I would argue both are diminishing the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
One thread was whether or not people are actually cheating in the swim at the Hawaii Ironman by using swim diapers under their swimskins as posted by someone who participated in the event this year and observed by a volunteer in 2017 with a picture he posted.

The other thread is how people who participate in 70.3s and Ironmans and are not competent swimmers because they either do not put the effort in to improve their swim or are reliant on a wetsuit are affecting the event because race directors are quick to cancel the swim due to the fact they are dealing with the lowest common denominator.

How about people who do what they can to complete an IM because it’s a meaningful challenge in their life. You seem to imply that those who aren’t good swimmers are simply lazy, and have not even cared to consider other situations. Would you deny them the opportunity to be called an Ironman because they don’t meet your standards. With the doping, cheating, and priggish views of many triathletes, we should be saluting and encouraging those who still maintain the original spirit of Ironman, and that is to challenge yourself. Or are you saying Julie Moss should never have competed because she had difficulty finishing the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
2brokenhips wrote:

How about people who do what they can to complete an IM because it’s a meaningful challenge in their life. You seem to imply that those who aren’t good swimmers are simply lazy, and have not even cared to consider other situations. Would you deny them the opportunity to be called an Ironman because they don’t meet your standards. With the doping, cheating, and priggish views of many triathletes, we should be saluting and encouraging those who still maintain the original spirit of Ironman, and that is to challenge yourself. Or are you saying Julie Moss should never have competed because she had difficulty finishing the race.

The issue is those who have decided that they aren't going to put the time into the one leg of the sport that has the highest possibility of killing you.Fleck and I have both posted here numerous times about the people we have witnessed who are standing at the start of an Ironman having never swum in open water,never swum close to the distance in training and/or have never swum in a wetsuit.It is not about people being slow or just being a one and done it is about being ill prepared for what is quiet rightly described in all media as one of the hardest single day events you can do.It just boggles the mind that people go into an ironman so ill prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
For those athletes looking to qualify for 70.3 World Championships, Hawaii Ironman World Championships and Age Group Nationals they should qualify under the rules the pros go by and be in separate waves. For those athletes that have no interest they are more than welcome to participate but are not eligible to qualify for Championship events or podium. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hah, finding more complex rules to solve problems. There's probably a job at the UCI for you somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No like ThailandUltras commented. It is those people who want to do a triathlon who are completely unprepared for whatever reason especially for the swim who have made it now that race directors are more willing to cancel a swim due to "safety" issues while a large majority - fast or slow - have put the effort in, paid a lot of money to do a triathlon and made a lot of sacrifices and are now denied the chance for something they may have trained for over a year to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well written article, thanks for sharing it.

Yes, IRONMAN is a Chinese corporation whose primary goal is making money. They will cater to the masses as you said below. That's why you see cars driving out on the bike course to pick up these novices who can't even complete the bike ride.

It's not even a big deal to do a 1/2 iron. Just look at all of the obese people that are crossing the finish line. The full IM is considerably more demanding though, but still pretty attainable for someone in decent shape.

Yeah they are never going to make people qualify for the swim, b/c that would prevent to many people from competing AND it would increase IRONMAN's costs. Remember that this is a greedy Chinese corporation that wants to maximize profits by: keeping its costs low, minimizing paid labor, providing cheap products, and charging a high race entry fee.

Seems to me that the race brand has lost its prestige over the past 5 years or so. I wouldn't buy it again.

2brokenhips wrote:
There is a paradox here, though. Ironman is billed as the hardest one-day event on the planet, yet its owners preside over a finance-driven model which demands as many bodies on the start-line as possible, regardless of athletic competence.
The aspirational marketing that claims ‘Anything Is Possible’ for anyone has a flipside – it downplays the challenge. Not in the surface level hype or in the small print of the disclaimers, but in decisions on race day, where the novice who might rarely leave the pool, now encounters the swell of a sea swim, and the race director isn’t confident to proceed.
Ironman is a very different beast to parkrun, for example, that happily celebrates its average times getting slower because it encourages mass participation. A 3.8km swim, 180km bike and 42.2km run puts a severe load on anyone’s body, but the achievement of completing it has been normalised in recent years. It’s no longer the preserve of the quirky few with years of endurance sport experience and the resilience to cope with inclement conditions. Too many of us now turn up wide-eyed and underprepared. Even if organisers don’t encourage it, they have to cater for it, so when there’s a large show of hands at the start of an iron-distance race from those admitting it’s their first triathlon, there should be concern not applause.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:

Yes, IRONMAN is a Chinese corporation whose primary goal is making money. They will cater to the masses as you said below. That's why you see cars driving out on the bike course to pick up these novices who can't even complete the bike ride.

It's not even a big deal to do a 1/2 iron. Just look at all of the obese people that are crossing the finish line. The full IM is considerably more demanding though, but still pretty attainable for someone in decent shape.

Yeah they are never going to make people qualify for the swim, b/c that would prevent to many people from competing AND it would increase IRONMAN's costs. Remember that this is a greedy Chinese corporation that wants to maximize profits by: keeping its costs low, minimizing paid labor, providing cheap products, and charging a high race entry fee.

Seems to me that the race brand has lost its prestige over the past 5 years or so. I wouldn't buy it again.

As opposed to the greedy American company that owned it before....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap Chinese product, no matter how you slice it. :)

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amateur wrote:

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

WTC is based in Florida and staffed by Americans ,in fact the same Americans who ran it before the Wanda Group bought it.How about you go have chat to them because I can guarantee you that there is a long line of people that you would need to speak to before you knock on any doors at the Wanda Sports offices .Then again that wouldn't fit in with you growing list of conspiracy theories related to all things Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, you're obsessed with me. I noticed a steep decline in quality since IM went Chinese owned. Not my cup of tea :)

Prestigious races are plentiful on the California Coast. :) I don't buy cheap Chinese products.

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

ThailandUltras wrote:
Amateur wrote:

WTC is based in Florida and staffed by Americans ,in fact the same Americans who ran it before the Wanda Group bought it.How about you go have chat to them because I can guarantee you that there is a long line of people that you would need to speak to before you knock on any doors at the Wanda Sports offices .Then again that wouldn't fit in with you growing list of conspiracy theories related to all things Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It only takes a quick look at facebook Ironman forums to see the issue

"I've just entered Ironman XXXX, but I'm a week swimmer and never swam more than 500m"
"I've just DNF'd at my first IM70.3, so I have entered 2 IM 70.3's and 2 full IMs next year" (one of the 70.3s was 2 weeks after a full IM)

Our society is all about instant gratification, however, people don't want to put in the work or take time to build up to a full IM. I actually think that it is terrible for our sport, doing an Full IM, underprepared, is hardly going to be a great experience, many people breath a sigh of relief that it is over, tick the box, and move on

I think that the answer maybe a 2 tier structure, with nice "easy" events, wetsuit legal lake swim, flat bike and flat run for the people who want the badge, and tougher events, with tight cut-offs, or possibly requiring a qualifying time for people who are looking for more of a challenge
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
It only takes a quick look at facebook Ironman forums to see the issue

"I've just entered Ironman XXXX, but I'm a week swimmer and never swam more than 500m"
"I've just DNF'd at my first IM70.3, so I have entered 2 IM 70.3's and 2 full IMs next year" (one of the 70.3s was 2 weeks after a full IM)

Our society is all about instant gratification, however, people don't want to put in the work or take time to build up to a full IM. I actually think that it is terrible for our sport, doing an Full IM, underprepared, is hardly going to be a great experience, many people breath a sigh of relief that it is over, tick the box, and move on

I think that the answer maybe a 2 tier structure, with nice "easy" events, wetsuit legal lake swim, flat bike and flat run for the people who want the badge, and tougher events, with tight cut-offs, or possibly requiring a qualifying time for people who are looking for more of a challenge

Yep,I think it is nuts..

So next week I am doing Ironman Malaysia here in Langkawi and I'm not fit by any stretch of the imagination compared to back in the '90's when I did sub 10hrs.I've done 26 Ironman's plus a bunch of longer triathlons and I know I'm in for a very long day but I also know one thing,I had to swim train.

I know how dangerous the swim can be and how much not training for it can affect the entire day so I have been swimming the house down just so I don't have to be worried about going to hospital like I did in 2018 with pulmonary edema.I've done lots of bike touring so I'll get through the bike and I'm not too worried about a long walk/run but I'll be damned if I'm going to do that swim unprepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of you guys need to relax. An Ironman is difficult for anyone. Just because they don’t do it the way you ubertri’s want it done, does not mean they should not be able to compete.

Basically, under the logic in this thread, no one below the top 25 in each AG + pro’s should be able to enter. Ridiculous.

People have been doing things unprepared since the beginning of time. Get over it and worry about yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [yukmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People have been doing things unprepared since the beginning of time. Get over it and worry about yourself.

-----

you've missed half the logic of this thread then. Because what I'm seeing is that "unprepared" athletes are causing a systematic change in how races handle swims and thus how it affects everyone.

There's no way they can cancel the swim but let the swimmers still do it. And so at some point when your *seemingly* consistently cancelling swims your going to face a huge issue at some point. And I'll stand by the statement that the "one and doners" who do the bare minimum are the actual more toxic group for the health and sustainability of the sport long term.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is simple for all of you complaining about how unworthy some participants are. Just start your own race. Call it ‘Supremacist Long Distance Challenge’, make if wetsuit illegal, have every participant certified as to physical condition and ability, but have them submit photos so if they’re overweight or disabled they can be denied entry (would only want the purist athletes in the race). No charity entrants (they’re spending too much time fund raising when they should have been training anyway). And no one pulling someone in a boat, or pushing a wheelchair, serious athletes should be focused on themselves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do they never shorten the bike and run portions for us swimmers who might be struggling on these sections!
;)
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [yukmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yukmonkey wrote:
Some of you guys need to relax. An Ironman is difficult for anyone. Just because they don’t do it the way you ubertri’s want it done, does not mean they should not be able to compete.

Basically, under the logic in this thread, no one below the top 25 in each AG + pro’s should be able to enter. Ridiculous.

No. Wrong. And I am worrying about myself. The people doing the sport who don't know how to swim are the reason that half of my IM races in the last 3 years have had shortened or cancelled swims.

A 2 hour swimmer can still know how to swim, but the person who gets nervous about their ability to finish if it's not wetsuit legal shouldn't be there. It's not a life preserver and shouldn't be treated as one.

Try the ubertri deflection if it makes you feel better, but those people are a danger to themselves and make things worse for me, sticking with your weird rule of only being allowed to worry about myself.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or perhaps you had shortened swims because the conditions really were dangerous.

It’s not always someone else’s fault and you are not Phelps.

The poster above is correct - you guys should start a masters swim race with no kayak support. Just make sure you accept the liability should anyone have any issues when a storm whips up the night before. I’m sure everyone who swims 1:20’s in the pool will be completely fine in the 5 foot swells.

I do agree that people should put more effort into the swim when training. Gambling that it will be cancelled is stupid. But there are a lot of life/training choices that are stupid. I try not to make them personally and try not to worry about choices that others have made.
Quote Reply

Prev Next