Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I agree with the thesis of these articles.

Too many swim-related decisions are being made based on what the worst 1% of swimmers in the crowd can handle. I think that in those situations where the conditions are tough, IM should offer a non-swim bike start after the swim cut-off expires. Put the onus back on the athlete to be responsible for him/herself, but give them an option to still make a day of it.

Yes, and lower the temperature of what is wetsuit legal. 74 degrees should not be a wetsuit legal swim.

72 used to be the cutoff. At nationals (ā€˜95 iirc) the water was just over 72 and they banned wetsuits. Several of the slower/older participants ended up with hypothermia (and this is a 1500m swim). After that they raised the limit to 78 to err on the side of caution.

Itā€™s kinda hard to tell someone they canā€™t wear a wetsuit in an event where they get hypothermia without one. This was nationals, so the skill level/experience/fitness is above the average local Oly.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
I love those anti-wetsuit articles. Technology advances are fine for cycling and running, but swim in a Speedo. If that's your perspective, go back to Merckx rules on the bike with a hairnet for a helmet and run barefoot.

For this line of thought, the current bike equipment and positions is so that people can roll 23 1/2 mph for Kona on 200w (local guy's #'s who just did Kona). Maybe less if skinnier.

To me, that just seems nuts. Especially with the non linear drag with speed. Meaning, most any joe blow can roll a fast bike split and lose minimal time.

I feel they should allow whatever swimwear people want if they allow P5X bikes and TT helmets and supersuits and the whole lot.

Same for shoes that make you X% faster.

Why's swimming get singled out on the equipment front?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
I love those anti-wetsuit articles. Technology advances are fine for cycling and running, but swim in a Speedo. If that's your perspective, go back to Merckx rules on the bike with a hairnet for a helmet and run barefoot.

For this line of thought, the current bike equipment and positions is so that people can roll 23 1/2 mph for Kona on 200w (local guy's #'s who just did Kona). Maybe less if skinnier.

To me, that just seems nuts. Especially with the non linear drag with speed. Meaning, most any joe blow can roll a fast bike split and lose minimal time.

I feel they should allow whatever swimwear people want if they allow P5X bikes and TT helmets and supersuits and the whole lot.

Same for shoes that make you X% faster.

Why's swimming get singled out on the equipment front?

I should've put that in pink. I think they're stupid. Technology should be utilized wherever possible to go faster. I totally agree, why single swimming out?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Ive done 3 IM sanctioned events. Here are my results from all the money paid:

1 Swim
2 Bike
2 Runs

Out of 9 possible disciplines, I was only able to do 5 of them. One race was cancelled the morning of, the other full - the swim was cancelled. 1 out of 3 events had a swim.

But why were they cancelled? and list the names of the races so they can be peer confirmed. IMMD 2016 my swim was cancelled because the currents were so strong that water safety crew couldn't even move effectively over the water. I wasn't thrilled but that made sense and I would have made the same call, just because some people could handle swimming in it doesn't mean that it makes sense, water safety crew NEEDS to be able to move quickly so they can respond to emergencies. Most people there that day just looked at the water, saw normal conditions and went off crying (excluding the handful that cheered). I ask because it seems you bring up this stat as if to say they are being soft but a full on event cancellation doesn't sound to me like it was a decision made to cater to the participants.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve always said for me and what I push is progression. Do sprints, do Olympics then move to LC (70s and IMā€™s).

I followed my own advice. I did sprints and pool sprints before an Olympic. I never thought the IM was the end all be all that our sport pushes. And Iā€™ve not had the ability to do an IM because of an hip injury from a crash. Iā€™m going to do one eventually because of the respect I have for the race. I think the race is a beautiful thing, but must be respected. But I never got caught up in the IM bug nor has my coaching biz evolved around it either.

I also coach to that theory. If you come to me wanting to do an IM and I donā€™t think your ready, Iā€™ll tell you that. I fired 4 athletes this year that imo had no biz signing up for them. I gladly pushed them to other coaches, and took a huge financial hit in the process. But I stood by what I thought was best for both them and myself.

And the whole reason a swim test is being pushed is because itā€™s 1 small step to having athletes ā€œunderstandā€ what is required. IE improving their ā€œIll preparednessā€. Itā€™s one small step to removing ill prepared athletes. It doesnā€™t have to be the end all be all, but it can be a step in the right direction if so desired. Iā€™d rather push proper racing progression myself.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 19 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
Ive done 3 IM sanctioned events. Here are my results from all the money paid:

1 Swim
2 Bike
2 Runs

Out of 9 possible disciplines, I was only able to do 5 of them. One race was cancelled the morning of, the other full - the swim was cancelled. 1 out of 3 events had a swim.

But why were they cancelled? and list the names of the races so they can be peer confirmed. IMMD 2016 my swim was cancelled because the currents were so strong that water safety crew couldn't even move effectively over the water. I wasn't thrilled but that made sense and I would have made the same call, just because some people could handle swimming in it doesn't mean that it makes sense, water safety crew NEEDS to be able to move quickly so they can respond to emergencies. Most people there that day just looked at the water, saw normal conditions and went off crying (excluding the handful that cheered). I ask because it seems you bring up this stat as if to say they are being soft but a full on event cancellation doesn't sound to me like it was a decision made to cater to the participants.

Some weeks ago, the last outdoor sprint was carried out. RD got extra safety because of 1,5' waves, 56 degrees water, 10 mph wind and 58 degreed air... But only 2 of 400 athletes needed assistance afaik.
And a nice challenge. Wetsuit made it feel safe :). The distance was meassured a bit of, being 900m and not 750m.

I really hope for more races like this, and suddenly the swim ability has impact on the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dane82 wrote:
The distance was meassured a bit of, being 900m and not 750m.

I really hope for more races like this, and suddenly the swim ability has impact on the results.

This year I did an "Oly" that had a stupid long swim of around 2.1km and a very short bike course of 25km. It wasn't supposed to be like that but the folks that set out the bouys really screwed up and construction on the normal bike course shortened it. So I got to do the fabled equilateral triathlon, and my splits were around 40min for each leg! It ended up being a pretty cool race and day.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

IM 70.3 New Orleans - Cancelled
IMCHOO 2019 - No swim
IM 70.3 Gulf Coast - Actually got to do a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
2. The lack of swim training at the AG level that is being reported. I cannot believe this many people would ignore such a good aerobic training source. I used to think it was a waste of time for me since at my age and level, I'm not picking up more than 10 minutes AT BEST in an IM swim, but I still swam twice a week. Then someone said something that clicked, you can add aerobic endurance/efficiency in the water. And you can do it without impacting the bike or run workouts appreciably. It's now a priority, and if I need to skip a run workout, I'll try and squeeze in an extra swim somewhere else in the week.

One of the biggest hurdles for me, and other folks i know, with swimming is lack of resources. When itā€™s a 45 minute drive one way to the nearest pool, it makes swimming a challenge. And good luck finding a pool that the pool hours actually jive with your work/family schedule. You can run anytime and anywhere. Indoor bike trainers have made cycling much more convenient. Not everyone can afford a $10k infinity pool or afford to spend 3 hours of their day to get in a swim workout.

Now, thatā€™s something the athlete should recognize and perhaps say triathlon isnā€™t for me and do duathlons, but those arenā€™t as cool as M-dot races. I have a friend that has a small pond, thatā€™s where I do my swim training. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have anyone to critic my swim so Iā€™m basically just ingraining poor habits and form. Similar to the weekend duffer playing golf and just learning to adjust for their slice.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Iā€™ve always said for me and what I push is progression. Do sprints, do Olympics then move to LC (70s and IMā€™s).

I followed my own advice. I did sprints and pool sprints before an Olympic. I never thought the IM was the end all be all that our sport pushes. And Iā€™ve not had the ability to do an IM because of an hip injury from a crash. Iā€™m going to do one eventually because of the respect I have for the race. I think the race is a beautiful thing, but must be respected. But I never got caught up in the IM bug nor has my coaching biz evolved around it either.

I also coach to that theory. If you come to me wanting to do an IM and I donā€™t think your ready, Iā€™ll tell you that. I fired 4 athletes this year that imo had no biz signing up for them. I gladly pushed them to other coaches, and took a huge financial hit in the process. But I stood by what I thought was best for both them and myself.

And the whole reason a swim test is being pushed is because itā€™s 1 small step to having athletes ā€œunderstandā€ what is required. IE improving their ā€œIll preparednessā€. Itā€™s one small step to removing ill prepared athletes. It doesnā€™t have to be the end all be all, but it can be a step in the right direction if so desired. Iā€™d rather push proper racing progression myself.

I am NOT a coach by any means, but I do preach this when any of my friends that are not in this world ask me about doing an Ironman.

I had a good friend that was all in on doing one, we spend the first year doing a few sprints, and culminated the season with an Oly. Then next year we worked toward a 70.3 event late in the season. Then his life got in the way, and he realized that the time it takes to get to a competent level was not something he wanted to sacrifice so the idea has been bagged for now.

That is the recipe to get someone hooked on the lifestyle. Even though it didn't work out, he is still interested and doing some variation of workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the best approach is to build your way up to the IM distance.

But obviously some people can prepare for and complete an IM as their first triathlon. Iā€™d be curious to see numbers on the success rate for those athletes.

But for some people it has nothing to do with a love for the sport or continuing the sport. Itā€™s just checking the box and getting their IM tattoo and then selling their tri bike and moving on to the next item on the checklist.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Too many swim-related decisions are being made based on what the worst 1% of swimmers in the crowd can handle. I think that in those situations where the conditions are tough, IM should offer a non-swim bike start after the swim cut-off expires. Put the onus back on the athlete to be responsible for him/herself, but give them an option to still make a day of it.

Yes, and lower the temperature of what is wetsuit legal. 74 degrees should not be a wetsuit legal swim.

These threads on ā€˜soft swimmers diminishing triathlonā€™ seem to bring out the worst in us. Over on Letsrun there are threads lamenting how soft marathons became and some wanting a 3 hour cutoff. Face it, the swim is an integral part of triathlon, but it is the least important part (there, I said it). Attempts to place more emphasis on the small portion of the swim would, like lowering the wetsuit temp limit would just result in those same swimmers going without a wetsuit and increasing the chance of getting into difficulty. Or should we just say that triathlon is only for the chosen few and for everyone else...well you canā€™t play.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are upset that the swim leg is getting cancelled seemingly more frequently than in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
But obviously some people can prepare for and complete an IM as their first triathlon. Iā€™d be curious to see numbers on the success rate for those athletes.

Sports Science back in like 2010, I believe did this. Normal "average joe" did an IM I believe within 3 months. Never had done a race before, he suffered like hell, but he finished. He had some back issues on the bike and hydration issues and was stopped by doc once, but I believe he went sub 15....in Kona.

I'll try and find the video of it as I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere. It included baseline testing to show progress, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV17InAbMnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Ns3Y2B1dg

S- 1:03
B- 8:15
R- ~4:40?
Total time- 14:01

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 19 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
djhuff7 wrote:

2. The lack of swim training at the AG level that is being reported. I cannot believe this many people would ignore such a good aerobic training source. I used to think it was a waste of time for me since at my age and level, I'm not picking up more than 10 minutes AT BEST in an IM swim, but I still swam twice a week. Then someone said something that clicked, you can add aerobic endurance/efficiency in the water. And you can do it without impacting the bike or run workouts appreciably. It's now a priority, and if I need to skip a run workout, I'll try and squeeze in an extra swim somewhere else in the week.

One of the biggest hurdles for me, and other folks i know, with swimming is lack of resources. When itā€™s a 45 minute drive one way to the nearest pool, it makes swimming a challenge. And good luck finding a pool that the pool hours actually jive with your work/family schedule. You can run anytime and anywhere. Indoor bike trainers have made cycling much more convenient. Not everyone can afford a $10k infinity pool or afford to spend 3 hours of their day to get in a swim workout.

Now, thatā€™s something the athlete should recognize and perhaps say triathlon isnā€™t for me and do duathlons, but those arenā€™t as cool as M-dot races. I have a friend that has a small pond, thatā€™s where I do my swim training. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have anyone to critic my swim so Iā€™m basically just ingraining poor habits and form. Similar to the weekend duffer playing golf and just learning to adjust for their slice.

Do you live out in the country??? Is it also 45 min to the closest bike shop???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right you are!

In the words of Ulysses Everett McGill:
ā€œ Well ain't this place a geographical oddity....two weeks from everywhereā€

Iā€™ve learned to do most of the bike maintenance myself. I really hate that I donā€™t live closer to a pool. It may be what keeps me from attempting a full distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Right you are! In the words of Ulysses Everett McGill:
ā€œ Well ain't this place a geographical oddity....two weeks from everywhereā€
Iā€™ve learned to do most of the bike maintenance myself. I really hate that I donā€™t live closer to a pool. It may be what keeps me from attempting a full distance triathlon.

Well, you could always buy a used Vasa and use it for most of your swim training. Maybe just drive the 1.5 hrs to and from the pool just once a week.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from not being able to swim a 25 yard length, never ridden a road bike and had only ran a half marathon in 2:08 to a 10:10 Ironman in 12 months. (1:02 Swim, 4:55 bike, 4:00 run).

Completely and doing a decent Ironman is not hard. Learning to be a decent swimmer is not hard. The large magority of people just want to call themselves an Ironman whilst doing the minimal amount of work possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

With regard to temperature, I think this is a great idea, possibly with a modification of the temp limit This could have the trickle down effect of teaching people that if you want to participate in a 3-sport event, get comfortable swimming without a wetsuit. If you want to bike at the front, get comfortable swimming without a wetsuit. B/c biking from the back stinks, as pointed out already.

But the temp limit is the tough thing b/c as Monty pointed out, different people have different tolerances that they can easily & legally manage with clothing options for other portions of the race. So my question is - who makes a warm suit that is buoyancy neutral? Meaning, is there alternate gear that temperature-volunerable people can swim in that would keep them warmer without giving the buoyancy advantage?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
My only addition to those comments -

The swim aerobic training as a helpful tool, really works only if you are a pretty capable swimmer, like at least MOP, if not FOMOP.

I say this having myself gone from the full range from near dead-last swim finisher for a year, to as high as top 18% in a big HIM. As a true BOP swimmer, I was simply unable to pull hard enough in the water to really work my cardio. Sure, I could max out my cardio for short sprints, but anything over 200 yards, and my arms wouldn't be able to keep pace, and I'd get very little cardio training even if my arms were totally rocked after the workout.

As a BOMOP slighty better swimmer, I could hold harder paces longer, but I didn't have the swim base/ability to do those hard-cardio workouts without really fatiguing myself and compromising any upcoming hard bike/run workouts. I had to choose - toast myself on the swim, or go easier and save to get in a decent quality bike/run.

Now that I'm definitely MOP and even up to MOP+, I'm finally at the point where I definitely feel that I can get some excellent cardio and endurance training on the swim that I can x-over to bike/run. My arms are now strong enough that they don't get so blasted that they limit me anymore.

I'd bet that the bulk of AGers who are slower than MOP were like me - they simply cannot use swimming as a enhancing cardio/endurance tool, because they are still so bad at swimming.

To add, Or their form actually leads to pain so swimming more in the short term leads to injury. Or to sineus issues. Lots of advice is given from the pov of very skilled athletes. As you point out, yes swimming more helps, but it takes a really long time to hone that skill and it is additionally difficult if say it leads to neck pain and numbness in your wrist.

Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
I went from not being able to swim a 25 yard length, never ridden a road bike and had only ran a half marathon in 2:08 to a 10:10 Ironman in 12 months. (1:02 Swim, 4:55 bike, 4:00 run).

Completely and doing a decent Ironman is not hard. Learning to be a decent swimmer is not hard. The large magority of people just want to call themselves an Ironman whilst doing the minimal amount of work possible.

Incorrect. It very much is hard. Great on you for having fantastic genes. No amount of training, ever, would get me to a 10:10. Sub 12? Maybe, on the right course. Assuming I ever learn to run with correct form and stop tweaking my hip. I'm not a great swimmer but that isn't my limiter for a 12 h finish.

At any rate, I've been in the full IM club for 9 years and consistently active over all of them. Not everyone is gifted with huge potential and low rate of injury.

Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to throw this out there...

What if completing an IM was never hard, but now it's just so much more accessible that you see it outside the lens of top racers and crazy people?

Let's be honest, IM is mostly an exercise in focusing free time. Some people have it and put it towards IM, some don't. But the real challenge is just managing your life to put in the time.

Now racing an IM is a different story, but this thread is primarily complaining about how prepared the "completers" are.
Last edited by: cujo: Oct 16, 19 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty accurate. I mean 17hr IM isn't *that hard* when you think about it. But I think it's also just big enough of a task that it creates far too many athletes doing them ill prepared.

It's funny in the US we have a junior elite series that is of an sprint distance (750m S, 20k B, 5k R) of athletes aged 16-19. It's been now ~10+ years of the series and what we are finding is that for 85% of the racers, they aren't actually "racing" it by the end. They are just trying to get to the finish. And we are talking about guys that can run faster than 18 mins for 5k, but yet by the time they add all that fatigue, the race is so far blown up that only less than a dozen of the 75 are "racing" full effort. Everyone else is just strung out, running til the finish.

It's actually made for discussions of shortening the distance for what their bodies/training can handle.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

This right here. The legal temp for most races to use a wetsuit is 76 degrees. Overheating is a bigger threat than swimming (slightly) slower. I still am not sure why pros have a different temp than age groupers. The temp should be standard across the board. If you want to wear a wetsuit above 72 degrees F (I think) then you just start in your own wave of wetsuit swimmers at the back and aren't eligible for a podium spot, since let's be real, if you're too nervous about swimming sans wetsuit, then you probably aren't concerned about being near the pointy end of the race results. Is it really that hard to update?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Interesting articles about "Is triathlon going soft" and creating an "artifical swimmer" [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For high schoolers, an hour long endurance event is pretty, well, long, if you're expecting it to be widely competitive. I can't think of another event that comes within half at that time commitment. Expecting these kids to "race" it at a high level is a bit of a stretch.

I'm guessing the bulk of them are otherwise single sport athletes (xc, swimming) that just carry over that fitness. As every triathlete ever has quickly figured out, that just doesn't work well once you're competing at the pointy end. I'm actually more surprised you have 75 in a single race.

That said, isn't what you're describing just a pacing problem? That is, they aren't pacing for the race they are in. Sounds like they lack experience and coaching.
Quote Reply

Prev Next