Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Gomez has won more championships across more triathlon disciplines than Jan and I believe much more wins. Just needs to crack Hawaii eventually.

I don't THINK that Gomez has what it will take to win Hawaii. I THINK Alistair does when he gets everything from this round sorted out. I think Mark Allen would have been unbeatable at 70.3 and he won more short course races, Nice, Zofingen and Kona 6x. But I don't think that Mark would have beaten Jan head to head. Alistair is not doing much beating of Jan head to head now. Alistair smacked Jan by a full 59 seconds at the London Olympic games (Jan was 30.06, Alistair, 29.07). Jan did get outswam at London by Alistair, and lost around 10 more seconds trnasition and had to out bike Alistair to bridge up. But Alistair has a crazy superior run.

If Alistair comes back to Ironman and figures it out and wins Kona a few times, I'd give him GOAT over Jan and Mark Allen. Mark had more wins over Jan, but over less deep competition (for example, using London Olympic, Mark did not have to race a guy who ran 29.07). I think Jan would be Mark if Jan did the races Mark did. Alistair clearly has way more ITU wins, but Jan has way more long course wins, has an Olympic medal and has beaten Alistair head to head in Long Course. As soon as Alistair starts winning long course races with some depth (not IM Ireland with a 2:51 run) then he's the GOAT for sure.

Mark didn't do drafting races, so comparing his 10km run times to Jan after going hard on the bike versus sitting in a big pack, is a completely different sport.

Well Frodo races non drafting too and I THINK he would have beaten Mark in a head to head non drafting race like he beat Brownlee at 70.3 World's in Port Elizabeth last year. Frodo would outswim Mark, Out ride him and arrive at T2 earlier. At least this is my take. If the gap closed Frodo would take Mark in a sprint finish. Or Frodo would just outrun Mark. I realize different eras, but in my view Frodo is just a more complete athlete than Mark was. Frodo is racing deeper fields than Mark. Mark was waaaaaay ahead of his time relative to the field (as was Dave Scott).
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
End the iron war talk already. Its like people who still say babe ruth was the greatest. Sorry, in their time they were the only 2 athletes competing. Todays racing is fielded with at least 15 legitimate contenders in the mens division.

Mark Allen had an 8:09 finish time 30 years ago, on a round tube, steel framed bike with the goofiest aero bars ever. That time is still in the top 10 (for winners). You give him Nike Next % and a modern aero bike, he would have set a record that would probably still be standing.

It is not often that you have someone that compares favorably 30 years later in an endurance sport, and Mark Allen does. That is why the Iron War talk is valid and why Mark Allen gets my vote.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [Jamison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamison wrote:
synthetic wrote:
End the iron war talk already. Its like people who still say babe ruth was the greatest. Sorry, in their time they were the only 2 athletes competing. Todays racing is fielded with at least 15 legitimate contenders in the mens division.

Mark Allen had an 8:09 finish time 30 years ago, on a round tube, steel framed bike with the goofiest aero bars ever. That time is still in the top 10 (for winners). You give him Nike Next % and a modern aero bike, he would have set a record that would probably still be standing.

It is not often that you have someone that compares favorably 30 years later in an endurance sport, and Mark Allen does. That is why the Iron War talk is valid and why Mark Allen gets my vote.

Wind.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wind? ðŸ˜

Couldnt decide between 'win' and 'word' ?
Or did you mean 'kona wind' like 'hot air' ?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Wind? ðŸ˜

Couldnt decide between 'win' and 'word' ?
Or did you mean 'kona wind' like 'hot air' ?

The wind speed in Kona varies so much from year to year that comparing times one year to another is almost pointless.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Frodo's head to head with both Brownlees and Gomez would be embarrassing.

My educated guess is that on 20 ITU starts Jan beat them 3 maybe 4 times max. Jan was in the right place at the right time when he won in 2008. Brownlee was just coming on the scene and the sport hasn't been the same since. But Jan in his prime on the start line today and he would be a nonfactor in the race. There are at least a dozen (probably more) runners who are 30+ seconds better off the bike. I put him at a Jonas Schaumberg talent level.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Frodo's head to head with both Brownlees and Gomez would be embarrassing.

My educated guess is that on 20 ITU starts Jan beat them 3 maybe 4 times max. Jan was in the right place at the right time when he won in 2008. Brownlee was just coming on the scene and the sport hasn't been the same since. But Jan in his prime on the start line today and he would be a nonfactor in the race. There are at least a dozen (probably more) runners who are 30+ seconds better off the bike. I put him at a Jonas Schaumberg talent level.

Yeah, Jan is sooooo bad that he got gifted a fluke win at Beijing. Almost like Lance giving Ventoux to Pantani....I think NOT!

Simon Whitfield totally screwed up his sprint....no one including Simon can sustain a sprint longer than 10 seconds....not even Usein Bolt. Frodo timed his sprint better than Simon, Bevan Docherty and Gomez. This is part of winning at sport, knowing when to light your matches. Look at Kona this year. Frodo knew when to burn through his matches. Brownlee clearly did not.

Do you guys realize how much greatness it takes to be in Gold medal winning position. Simon Whitfield did that in Sydney...he almost did in Beijing and mis timed his sprint. Hamish Carter did it in Athens from the bike break. Frodo in Beijing from the sprint in a track meet...and then Brownlee, literally like an alien just grinds people down with attacks all day in London and Rio and remains the last man standing (it works for him in 1:45 races....less so in 70.3 and Ironman).

But Javier's record when he really really needs to win those medals is not as awesome as Brownlee or Frodo. Brownlee beats him when it counts at Olympic and Frodo has beaten him most of the time at 70.3 Worlds head to head (minus 70.3 Worlds Tremblant)...sure he has a boat load of ITU wins, but we can say Frodo has a boat load of long course wins too. I know you guys are going to say the long course fields are soft compared to ITU, but if they are so soft than how come they are hard to win? Ask Mark Allen how hard it was to win long course races when he was winning Olympic races every weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Jan was in the right place at the right time when he won in 2008. Brownlee was just coming on the scene and the sport hasn't been the same since. But Jan in his prime on the start line today and he would be a nonfactor in the race. There are at least a dozen (probably more) runners who are 30+ seconds better off the bike.

Yeah, Jan is sooooo bad that he got gifted a fluke win at Beijing.

Because I said he was in the right place at the right time I am pronouncing him a fluke? Utter nonsense. If you want to argue on emotion, fine. I thought you were intelligent but what do I know?

If you believe that Jan (in his prime) could run with today's ITU athletes off the bike, fine. I don't think you will find many who agree with you.

A discussion of the greatest consists of a list only 4-6 long. Jan, Mark, Ali, Javi and a few others. Nit-picking is essential to any debate about this because all these guys are in rare-air.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Frodo Greatest of All time-Olympic Gold/70.3 Worlds/3xKona + record [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Agreed, he was at Right place, right time = finishline, First

Brutal race, very nice coverage
Quote Reply

Prev Next