Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Especially with having to ship the used wheels multiple times if the LBS won't ship them for Pro's Closet once they sell.

point of order: pro's closet will issue a call tag and bring the wheels to its hdqts from the LBS.

the difference between this, and other industries like automotive, is that bike shops were immune to the secondary market until the rise of eBay. bikes were disposables. there was a terrific backlash to eBay, if you go back 15 or 20 years ago. bike shops felt that eBay, not amazon, was the big internet monster causing harm to their industry (at the time).

there is still some of this out there. now, as monty said, there's another way to approach this. if monty and i go to a race expo with wetsuits, we kill it. we take your wetsuit in for trade. then we sell your wetsuit. it might take us 2 transactions to make our margin. but, we put a big sign up at the booth, "wetsuits $25 and up." that generates a lot of interest. a lot of traffic. and monty and i aren't afraid to work hard. if we keep taking wetsuits in for trade, pretty soon we end up with a large selection of used wetsuits we can sell pretty cheap, as loss leaders. now we have wetsuits for everyone. we have $800 wetsuits, we have $80 wetsuits.

what sort of wheel business would the LBS have if he sold $2000 and $200 wheels? i don't know. i've never been a bike reseller. but i've been a wetsuit reseller and it's never hurt the wetsuit business.

I'm a weirdo, but I'd be in the LBS all the time instead of for emergencies if they sold decent quality as-is used wheels/frames or stuff like that.

I'm the type of guy that would visit your wetsuit booth.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Slowman wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Especially with having to ship the used wheels multiple times if the LBS won't ship them for Pro's Closet once they sell.

point of order: pro's closet will issue a call tag and bring the wheels to its hdqts from the LBS.

the difference between this, and other industries like automotive, is that bike shops were immune to the secondary market until the rise of eBay. bikes were disposables. there was a terrific backlash to eBay, if you go back 15 or 20 years ago. bike shops felt that eBay, not amazon, was the big internet monster causing harm to their industry (at the time).

there is still some of this out there. now, as monty said, there's another way to approach this. if monty and i go to a race expo with wetsuits, we kill it. we take your wetsuit in for trade. then we sell your wetsuit. it might take us 2 transactions to make our margin. but, we put a big sign up at the booth, "wetsuits $25 and up." that generates a lot of interest. a lot of traffic. and monty and i aren't afraid to work hard. if we keep taking wetsuits in for trade, pretty soon we end up with a large selection of used wetsuits we can sell pretty cheap, as loss leaders. now we have wetsuits for everyone. we have $800 wetsuits, we have $80 wetsuits.

what sort of wheel business would the LBS have if he sold $2000 and $200 wheels? i don't know. i've never been a bike reseller. but i've been a wetsuit reseller and it's never hurt the wetsuit business.

I'm a weirdo, but I'd be in the LBS all the time instead of for emergencies if they sold decent quality as-is used wheels/frames or stuff like that.

I'm the type of guy that would visit your wetsuit booth.

you're not a weirdo. LBSs are weirdos. the bestway to compete with the secondary market is to be the secondary market.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [JiffyRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much did they give you? Looking for specific data points to see if this is worth my time
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [JiffyRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any particular reason that you are unwilling to share the specific trade-in value you got for your wheels? Dan (I think?) seems to be encouraging sharing this type of information and, even if he weren't, I don't see any reason why this info couldn't be shared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I think that it is great SRAM/Zipp is doing something to see that their customers get something when upgrading. Anyone who has tried to sell tubulars on Ebay probably knows that a big dollar set of wheels is basically worth nothing these days.

I was a serious Shimano hater when they constantly changed designs and tools every year for no particularly good reason. I seem to remember their 8-speed hubs going through at least 2 completely incompatible design changes for the sake of planned obsolescence (remember that term from bidnez school).

That being said, I really like Boyd's plan. CyclingNews had a good article on all the garbage bikes and components that get used at the World Championships, particularly by the women's teams. It would be great if SRAM pulled some of the better stuff off for the less fortunate national teams and junior programs. I think it would be great PR to be covering both ends of the spectrum.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have shared the first time around, It was $221 per wheel (one 404 and one 808) so ended up being $442 total. Could I have sold it for this much by myself....maybe but I didn't feel the market was very strong for 10 speed tubulars that are 14 years old. Got an email from the Pro's Closet to verify I was the owner of these wheels and to confirm their offer. But other than that I didn't see any of the other details around how the LBS got their credit.

Specialized Shiv Mafia?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent in an offer today view online partner and for a 2017 Firecrest 808 11 speed Clincher they offered $343 and for a 2017 Super 9 Clincher Disc they offered $931. This it a complete gimmick because these could be sold for $650 and $1400 on ST/Craigslist without too much trouble. This is specially geared at the dentist who is looking for any justification to upgrade and money is an non issue because to upgrade these to the disc brake models would be $4200(retail) - 1275 = 2925ish where if I sold them private and got that same combo online using dealer coupon or promotion it would be around $3000($1000 for front 808 $2000 for disc)-2050 for a net of $950. That’s literally throwing $2k out the window for just a touch of effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it’s obviously a gimmick but that doesn’t mean that some won’t take advantage for the convenience. It sounds about like what you get when you trade in a car as opposed to private sale. Trade in values are never good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I have a 12+-yr-old set of 650c clinchers, 303/404, with a no-longer-working G2 powertap hub. Trade isn’t useful for me since Zipp no longer makes 650c. Worth offering it to someone who does need new Zipps, or better to hang on to the vintage wheels for some reason?
Quote Reply

Prev Next