Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo
Quote | Reply
i had some questions about this. i'm about ready to post a front page article with answers to the questions i had. but you may have addn questions and if so, this thread is in service of those questions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll start....what is it? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question is, which probably won't be answered right away and may require some people to actually go through the process: what is a "premium offer?" Of course it depends on the value of the item to trade. But it'd be nice to know the approximate range.

To make it worth my time vs. just selling my wheels on the ST Classifieds then bargain-hunting for new wheels, we'd have to be talking as much as 50% off retail.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 30, 19 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I'll start....what is it? :)

since you asked! i wrote this up for our front page. what i think is the big deal here is that you can trade in as many wheels as you want. you can trade in 8 wheels, get Big Wheel Lucky Bucks or whatever you want to call them, toward a set of Zipps.

me? i've got a truckload of wheels. i don't want to fart around with selling them. i also don't want to far around with shipping them. so, you take them to your LBS, drop them off, you get a credit of $X.

i don't know what $X is. that's the devil in the details and i hope somebody here trucks their wheels down, gets the answer to that, and posts here.

the other reason this is of some interest to me is that a lot of you have a bunch of rim brake wheels and what's keeping you from your next tri bike purchase is this investment. so, really, cervelo ought to send a thank you note to zipp, which might be the key unlocking the purchase of that new cervelo or felt or whatever.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]i don't know what $X is. that's the devil in the details and i hope somebody here trucks their wheels down, gets the answer to that, and posts here.[/quote]
Indeed, it is. The value has to be at or very close to secondary street value or it would have very little utility to potential takers. Curious to hear from others what they got in return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is Zipp going to do with all the wheels it buys back?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is no different than taking all your extra wheels and selling them to Pro's Closet now. Unless Zipp is significantly subsiding this its basically worthless.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I should’ve read the article first. Pro’s Closet will re-sell them

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks connected to pros closet

To maybe give an idea how much pros closet pays

A few months ago I sold a 2018 P5-6 still in the box. They gave me $3600
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Quote:

i don't know what $X is. that's the devil in the details and i hope somebody here trucks their wheels down, gets the answer to that, and posts here.

Indeed, it is. The value has to be at or very close to secondary street value or it would have very little utility to potential takers. Curious to hear from others what they got in return.

I don't think that this program is targeted at folks that are looking to maximize the return on their old wheels. I would bet that you'd probably get more (maybe a lot more) for your wheels in the ST classifieds, Fleabay, or CL than you'd get from this trade-in program. I see this as being geared to those folks that, as Dan said, see that whole process as frankly a PITA. I have an old P3 alu bike, Renn disc old Zipp wheels, and countless other items that are of no use to me just sitting around in the garage. The thought of having to deal with the 97,876 scam e-mails from a CL listing, or having to box and ship these items makes the sale of them about as appealing as a root canal.
Last edited by: el gato: Sep 30, 19 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re-sell them and double-dip profits....????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

i don't know what $X is. that's the devil in the details and i hope somebody here trucks their wheels down, gets the answer to that, and posts here.[/quote]

Indeed, it is. The value has to be at or very close to secondary street value or it would have very little utility to potential takers. Curious to hear from others what they got in return.[/quote]
here's where i'll disagree with you a little. do you want to ship a wheelset? meaning, go thru the hassle? do you want to worry about the return? or the person not paying? or telling his credit card company to reverse the transaction?

whatever all that means to you, and let's say it's $Y, and the value of the declining energy that attends selling multiple wheels ($Z) then, according to Newton's 4th law, [$X - ($Y + $Z)] * W = the minimum trade-in value you should accept for this to be a good way to divest of your wheels, where "W" is your interest, as a fraction of 100, in the particular Zipp wheel available to you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonus is they keep the secondary wheel market down
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I’m sure you are right. It’s for those looking for convenience factor. If you are willing to spend money on Zipp wheels, presumably money is already of little concern so they are offering a value service to high-end clientele and will probably do quite well in the process.

Didn’t Enve do something similar a few years back?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackey wrote:
This is no different than taking all your extra wheels and selling them to Pro's Closet now. Unless Zipp is significantly subsiding this its basically worthless.

two things i'd point out:

1. as you note, we don't know yet (some of you will tell me) whether zipp is presenting a floor trade-in value that exceeds what pro's closet would otherwise pay absent this program;

2. i have wheel boxes. as in, single and double wheel boxes, with the pieces that separate the wheels, protect them during shipping; i have the thingies you put over the axles. do you? because, if not, shipping wheels safely isn't exactly trivial. so the other part of this is the capacity to just drop these off at your LBS.

i'm not advocating you do this deal. but as of now, not knowing anything else, based on the questions i asked, this looks pretty promising.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buying from pro’s closet can net you a very good deal. The quotes I received from them on selling not so much. But that is not surprising as we can’t make out we’ll on both sides of the equation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/...port-junior-cycling/

Perhaps semi-related, Boyd is running a deal where you can trade in an old wheelset (any brand, any shape) for 20% one of their wheelsets. Their plan is to then give those old wheels to a junior rider in need, so he’s hoping people are trading in wheels in good rideable condition. You can either send them to Boyd or so the trade-in at your nearest Boyd dealer.

Pretty cool program if you ask me.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
What is Zipp going to do with all the wheels it buys back?

Get a bunch of bad hubs out of circulation from the people that didn't get recall replacements. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. What about Flashpoint wheels? Are they considered same as Zipp for trade-in purposes? Thanks.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an age limit to traded-in wheels? I have a set of 808's from 2005.
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Lord. Acting like this is some novel idea.

This idea has been around the block forever in the golf club world. And cars (the sales 'square' anyone?).

"Oh, we'll give you $25 for that $400 driver you bought two years ago............as credit towards a $700 driver that's at 40% markup"

Same for cars and trade-ins. I'd say expect to take a hit for the convenience and their profit. Especially with having to ship the used wheels multiple times if the LBS won't ship them for Pro's Closet once they sell.

Cars:
trade, price, financing, down payment

These wheels:
????
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Lord. Acting like this is some novel idea. //

I did this exact same thing with wetsuits(in the 80's and 90's), think dan did too. I would take any suit in trade for a new one, any condition, any age. I just had 3 basic categories of payouts, top one being $150, which was good back then as new suits were in the $300+ range. A throw away suit was $75. 30 year old long John surf suits showed up. IT worked great then, and I would suppose it works great now. There is a good secondary market for the used wheels, so everyone wins. Its a connivence thing, and as dan said, a great way to get off of rim brakes and into discs. Bet we all have a ton of old rim brake wheels sitting around, soon to be museum pieces..
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Trade-in / Speed-up promo [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Especially with having to ship the used wheels multiple times if the LBS won't ship them for Pro's Closet once they sell.

point of order: pro's closet will issue a call tag and bring the wheels to its hdqts from the LBS.

the difference between this, and other industries like automotive, is that bike shops were immune to the secondary market until the rise of eBay. bikes were disposables. there was a terrific backlash to eBay, if you go back 15 or 20 years ago. bike shops felt that eBay, not amazon, was the big internet monster causing harm to their industry (at the time).

there is still some of this out there. now, as monty said, there's another way to approach this. if monty and i go to a race expo with wetsuits, we kill it. we take your wetsuit in for trade. then we sell your wetsuit. it might take us 2 transactions to make our margin. but, we put a big sign up at the booth, "wetsuits $25 and up." that generates a lot of interest. a lot of traffic. and monty and i aren't afraid to work hard. if we keep taking wetsuits in for trade, pretty soon we end up with a large selection of used wetsuits we can sell pretty cheap, as loss leaders. now we have wetsuits for everyone. we have $800 wetsuits, we have $80 wetsuits.

what sort of wheel business would the LBS have if he sold $2000 and $200 wheels? i don't know. i've never been a bike reseller. but i've been a wetsuit reseller and it's never hurt the wetsuit business.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 1, 19 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED may have taken notice. They just reduced their prices 15% for October.

That's what I like about HED, they keep things simple. Just cut the damn price.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 1, 19 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharing my experience:

I took Zipp on their offer last month and traded in my older, probably 2005, Zipp 606 set Tubulars. They were 10 speed and I no longer had any use for them as all my bikes are now 11 speed. Tires were glued to them and were still in great shape and haven't had them on the road for a few years. I had talked to my LBS, before i brought them in, to give them the model and a few points of info and they gave me a quote for the wheels. Looking over the eBay and classified postings, I had no chance at selling these for the credit they gave me. Brought them into my LBS, they took a few pictures, and I walked out with a new set of 303 disc's.

If it was not for this program I may not have purchased Zipp's again and would probably be looking for the best "deal". But as pointed out in the thread this was super convenient for me and I would for sure do it again in the future.

Specialized Shiv Mafia?
Quote Reply

Prev Next