Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Black duct tape

^^^^This - Works great, easy to cut, durable (can roll it back and use it over and over again).
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a disc, but I use a homemade wheel cover made of heat shrink plastic. I use 3m clear packing tape to cover the hole. I fold about 1/4" under to act as a pull tab to access the valve. I can usually reuse for about 3 months of daily access before the sticky gives out.

Note since it is just a cover over a normal training wheel that has my only powertap, it is also my daily training wheel. I don't bother to remove the cover between races. Monokote is surprisingly durable.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 30, 19 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
I searched and there is very little (specifically) on this. Usually they are thrown into a topic but not a single topic about JUST that. So, with this title, there now will be one.

So, I just got my Flo Disc (I support them, because they have been very open and supportive of me...and this forum), and there are two very nice, large holes in the disc for access to the valve.

What all do you use? I know some will just say "tape". And that's totally fine (and probably the easiest answer and easiest solution). But, I figured lets open this topic up and see what people have, and now it will be much more easily searched.

We use clear packing tape in the tunnel. As others have posted, our wind tunnel study showed a 2 second savings over 40k. Lengthen that to an IM and you are roughly 9 seconds. I always say, start the race with the holes covered. If you flat, don't waste the time recovering the holes.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the lightest packing tape that I can find. No need for the heavy duty, ultra clear or colored non-sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I don't even worry about it and I worry about a lot of things when it comes to aerodynamics
I used to use black duct tape on my FLOs, but after seeing the FLO study and hearing aeroheads like Stover chime in about it not making a difference, I quit covering them.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

https://flocycling.blogspot.com/...alve-cutout.html?m=1

Net net: it’s worth 2sec. over 40k.

thanks, I hadn't seen that.. and thanks to Flo for testing..

still going to cover my valve holes, 2sec is 2sec..
I like gaffer tape, stays on well and is easily removable too.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I think it was Flo (might be wrong on which company) that tested covering the holes vs not and saw zero difference.

https://flocycling.blogspot.com/...alve-cutout.html?m=1

Net net: it’s worth 2sec. over 40k.

Well I was looking at Strava and realized I missed my lifetime 40k goal time by 2 seconds. That would have really hurt if I hadn’t taped my valve cover. It is also a lot cheaper than something like big jockey wheel, ceramic bearings, .... that are only going to save a second or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
desert dude wrote:
I don't even worry about it and I worry about a lot of things when it comes to aerodynamics

Genuine question:

Why wouldn't you cover it? Somewhere above someone states that it might save 2 sec per 40km. Even if it's only 1 sec in 100km, it seems like (almost) free 'speed' and thus a no-brainer.

Or is there a reason not to cover the hole? Maybe a few extra secs in case you need to change tires? Or annoyance when in need of air on racemorning? Or are there reasons to assume that it actually doesn't matter and you wont save a second?

Because having it come loose during a race (I've had this happen after inflating the morning before a race) and either listing to it slap against your bike for hours or having to stop just isn't worth it. I tape one side I don't touch, but it's just not worth the side you have to remove over and over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut a whole bunch of mine out of light Monokote trim using a Silhouette cutter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Exactly this.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

With the good 'ol rule-of thumb, that 2 seconds over 40k is equivalent to about 0.5w (at 40kph). That is equivalent to about 10cm (4") of exposed cable housing (5mm diameter) orthogonal to the air flow. So, yeah: not really gonna sweat that!
Quote Reply

Prev Next