Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disc Valve covers - what do you do?
Quote | Reply
I searched and there is very little (specifically) on this. Usually they are thrown into a topic but not a single topic about JUST that. So, with this title, there now will be one.

So, I just got my Flo Disc (I support them, because they have been very open and supportive of me...and this forum), and there are two very nice, large holes in the disc for access to the valve.

What all do you use? I know some will just say "tape". And that's totally fine (and probably the easiest answer and easiest solution). But, I figured lets open this topic up and see what people have, and now it will be much more easily searched.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased a HED disc and it came with a couple HED stickers for the valve hole. Then I replaced the HED wheel stickers with some that matched my frame, purchased on Ebay, and it came with the wheel stickers and valve cover stickers. Had also bought frame colored HED stickers for my Jet 6 and those also came with valve cover stickers so I'm all set for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape.

Sometimes stickers from the race number sheet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use the clear 3M packaging tape. The other option is a sticker on the one side you won't remove. My team is sponsored by a brewery, so a number of the riders are using "Great Divide" stickers.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I just use the clear 3M packaging tape. The other option is a sticker on the one side you won't remove. My team is sponsored by a brewery, so a number of the riders are using "Great Divide" stickers.

^^^^^This.

I do exactly the same thing.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go commando i.e. don;t use anything to cover up the hole

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our disc wheel comes with a carbon cover.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Aug 29, 19 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a roll of 2" wide electrical tape. That works perfectly. I usually pre-cut a couple pieces and stick them on the wheel. Then, when I pump up, I peel one off and cover the hole. The other one is my spare if I need it. I only cover the hole for a race. The rest of the time I ride it open.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I bought a roll of 2" wide electrical tape. That works perfectly. I usually pre-cut a couple pieces and stick them on the wheel. Then, when I pump up, I peel one off and cover the hole. The other one is my spare if I need it. I only cover the hole for a race. The rest of the time I ride it open.

same thing here. one roll will last you forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Our disc wheel comes with a carbon cover.

You’re one travel case away from a sale...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah - we have a lot of request for the case. That is an item I manufacture in China and the duty has gotten a bit hard to predict. I'm still thinking about bring them in.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
yeah - we have a lot of request for the case. That is an item I manufacture in China and the duty has gotten a bit hard to predict. I'm still thinking about bring them in.

When you do, I got your $$ already ready. But yeah, I understand with the increases. Just goes to show you that I should have bought earlier. Lesson learned. I actually bought this disc because of the case issue and not wanting to wait for a disc until whenever. But I’ll happily have two in the arsenal.
Last edited by: Culley22: Aug 29, 19 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black duct tape

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that is the only thing holding you back, buy the bike and I will sell you my case. I’d rather have a SciCon for travel.
Last edited by: TAC: Aug 29, 19 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was Flo (might be wrong on which company) that tested covering the holes vs not and saw zero difference.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I think it was Flo (might be wrong on which company) that tested covering the holes vs not and saw zero difference.

https://flocycling.blogspot.com/...alve-cutout.html?m=1

Net net: it’s worth 2sec. over 40k.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use childrens stickers
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:
If that is the only thing holding you back, buy the bike and I will sell you my case. I’d rather have a SciCon for travel.
I have a sweet bike, and the triall3 case for it. But Dan had the genius idea to get a case that fits his bike where you just need to remove the wheels (I believe that was the scenario). My current I have to take off the headset...and that means all my cables (unhook di2, But brakes are the full salami), and that is starting to get old. My current bike is a Chinese frame one I built up. Love it...but don’t full trust it. So...basically I don’t need Dan’s bike and setup...but I want it. And when he gets new cases in that fit his bike like they do, whenever that is, I’m buying(or at least ordering).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
TAC wrote:
I have a sweet bike, and the triall3 case for it. But Dan had the genius idea to get a case that fits his bike where you just need to remove the wheels (I believe that was the scenario). My current I have to take off the headset...and that means all my cables (unhook di2, But brakes are the full salami), and that is starting to get old. My current bike is a Chinese frame one I built up. Love it...but don’t full trust it. So...basically I don’t need Dan’s bike and setup...but I want it. And when he gets new cases in that fit his bike like they do, whenever that is, I’m buying(or at least ordering).

I should have been more specific. I have a premier tactical and case. While you don’t need to remove the basebar, you do have to remove extensions, wheels, pedals, and the rear storage box and brake fairing (or risk it getting smoked by TSA).

I used to travel with my Felts in a SciCon where only the wheels come off. Going to go back to that setup for next year, So if buying the bike hinges on you waiting for a case, I’ll sell you my premier case if you pull the trigger on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even worry about it and I worry about a lot of things when it comes to aerodynamics

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use the 2" wide electrical tape. Then I switched to carbon fiber pattern vinyl wrapping tape instead. Mainly because I bought a roll for a different project but had a bunch left over. It mostly matches my HED jet disc pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I don't even worry about it and I worry about a lot of things when it comes to aerodynamics

Genuine question:

Why wouldn't you cover it? Somewhere above someone states that it might save 2 sec per 40km. Even if it's only 1 sec in 100km, it seems like (almost) free 'speed' and thus a no-brainer.

Or is there a reason not to cover the hole? Maybe a few extra secs in case you need to change tires? Or annoyance when in need of air on racemorning? Or are there reasons to assume that it actually doesn't matter and you wont save a second?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duct tape/electrical tape is a nightmare when it’s raining or damp dewy mornings when you have racked overnight.

The foam sheeting used to replace the padding on aerobar arm pads: I cut a piece out about 1mm bigger than the valve hole and it sits perfectly and securely in the valve hole, any weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry pic....
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Valve covers - what do you do? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I go commando i.e. don;t use anything to cover up the hole

OMG you will lose about a gazillion Watts.

How can you ride about so slowly!

(Not actually serious :D)

Duct Tape or sticker
Last edited by: Mario S: Aug 30, 19 7:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next