Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Someone was talking bad about her just like you are doing. Basically they saying "well 2nd of 2 is not impressive and she is only going because she is a racing a lot". I let him know that it was a terrible attitude and our club is better than talking like that. At least she is out there racing, training, trying hard and doing something productive. I feel it very mean-spirited and unacceptable to talk about a clubmate like that.

This

End thread

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is entertaining. Warning: here's my very cynical and harsh take: Social Media can be nauseating and quite toxic for me. I find FB the worst. My husband calls it "friends bragging". That being said, I've gone dark off and on, but end up missing out on local information. Or I loose touch with local athletes. My complaints are: too much vacation spam (some is fine but be classy about it), endless postings of offspring (bragging about children gets old after a while, esp. to those of us w/o children). And please! Do I really have to see everything you ate today?? I also feel social media gives the impression everyone is living these happy amazing lives, when in reality life is hard and messy. The more someone posts about their "wonderful life", the more I wonder just how happy they truly are.

My solutions to make social media easier to stomach:
1) Don't unfriend the over zealous poster, just unfollow. Much nicer when they aren't showing up in your newsfeed every god damn day.
2) Avoid the snarky comment no matter how annoying they are or how tempting it is. Trust me you'll regret it later ;-)
3) Limit social media to just one or two platforms (I actually prefer Instagram. I love photography and pretty landscapes and post mostly for myself and a few friends with the occasional training or race post)
4) Hide the political stuff from your newsfeed. It's too toxic and just makes me furious.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Aug 27, 19 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll venture to say the result was a disaster lol!

At the end of the day: 1. who cares how much value do people put on a 2nd out of 2 competitors in the age group. If they’re happy with the result and makes them happy then ok. 2. The sole complaint and rambling for paragraphs about it just goes to show hoe much value does the OP puts on Social Media. 3. The obsession of individual results at the amateur level (ours or others’) which are in the grand scheme of things meaningless (even a KQ) is so symptomatic amongst us that is just laughable, when none of us age groupers make anything out of it.

My two cents, let people enjoy what they consider achievement, at least they’re doing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Man I love Australians

lol
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
t.

My two cents, let people enjoy what they consider achievement, at least they’re doing something.

But it comes with a price. Like I said in a previous post, the young girl in my club is virtually a laughing stock because of this kind of attitude and social media activity. She pumped a lot of money, time and effort into setting herself up as a coach, did a great website, but she had no credibility, largely because of the stuff she posted on Instagram and Facebook.

Perhaps if people hadn't just sat back and watched her make herself look like a dick, things would be different. No-one had the balls to turn around and tell her to pull her head in. Now she's probably lost to the sport. Which is a shame, I think she has a lot to offer as an athlete and coach.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 27, 19 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Generally when I don't care I don't drop the C bomb

I'm Australian, the C bomb is practically a term of endearment. e.g Love Shazza, she's a real top cunt!

I have had so many Americans and Canadians misunderstand my Australian sense of humour and language over the years travelling for tri's.It is even worse in this "era of outrage" when they just don't understand how giving someone shit can be either an insult or a sign of affection or both.

I remember one year at Ironman Australia in Forster I rolled up to the Tudor House restaurant near the finish line to crash one of the big Sydney tri teams post race piss-up and my mate,who was the first age grouper overall asked me "What time did you do?". When I told him 10:22 he just said "Mate,I really don't know why you would bother showing up if you are going to post a shit time like that. I guess the beers are on you today".
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Generally when I don't care I don't drop the C bomb

I'm Australian, the C bomb is practically a term of endearment. e.g Love Shazza, she's a real top cunt!

I have had so many Americans and Canadians misunderstand my Australian sense of humour and language over the years travelling for tri's.It is even worse in this "era of outrage" when they just don't understand how giving someone shit can be either an insult or a sign of affection or both.

I remember one year at Ironman Australia in Forster I rolled up to the Tudor House restaurant near the finish line to crash one of the big Sydney tri teams post race piss-up and my mate,who was the first age grouper overall asked me "What time did you do?". When I told him 10:22 he just said "Mate,I really don't know why you would bother showing up if you are going to post a shit time like that. I guess the beers are on you today".

haha classic I can imagine most Sepos would take offence to that..
Quote Reply

Prev Next