Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed?
Quote | Reply
A controversial post but I can't think of anywhere better to discuss such topics than on ST!

I am a member of a local triathlon club and, like many, belong to the club what'sapp chatroom and follow some other "friends" on social media. I have actually now stopped completely using social media as, after a few years, I concluded it's a waste of time and I need no validation other than enjoying the sport. I can't leave the what's app chat room as they also post useful event info, but I find some of the half truths and deceptions people post every day absolutely unbearable. Anybody shares the same feelings, or is it just me? Shouldn't there be some basic etiquette about this, like not blowing your nose when you are leading a group of cyclists?

- "I came second in my age group today, I am elated!" (translation: there were three people in the age group). I would always post 10/245 etc etc to avoid misleading people

- "I am the 5th triathlete in the world on the full distance!" - says the guy who came 5th out of 7th in his AG at the ITU World Championship in Pontevedra. I would always state the event name and let people decide (ITU Worlds? Really? Who the heck cares? The ETU races are hilarious, basically 80% of people usually are from British Triathlon and they still call it "European championships")

- "I was finally selected to represent Team GB at the xx championship next year" (no you were not selected, you qualified via completing a local tri within 120% of the time of the winner of your AG)

- "Well done XX on bagging a spot for 70.3 worlds today! You are inspiring!" - "thanks, I am over the moon!" (says the BOP lady who sat through 3 hours of roll downs and finally got a slot when they were at the "who wants to go? stage"). I would answer "thanks, although anybody could have qualified today as the slots rolled down very far"

- My favorite: "congratulations so and so on stamping your ticket top Kona! you are an inspiration to all of us here at the club", to which the answer is "thanks!" by the guy who just completed his 12th Ironman in 5 years, always at the middle of the pack with no improvement shown whatsoever. How inspirational can it be to just shell out USD 6,000 to go to Kona?

- And the final one on the what's app chat typing "Amazing swim by xx today at IM 70.3 Staffordshire, so fast!!" about the guy in the 30-35 AG who just swam 42 mins, came out of the water in the last quarter of athletes, has been swimming for years and has no major work/family commitments to prevent him from putting in the required training hours.

I would just avoid useless praise, as it detracts from when one really sees exceptional performance. Which is not an absolute concept - it's all relative to people's situation and potential!
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you're fun at parties...
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of very harmful half-truths and downright deception on social media. Criticise that. The stuff you're upset about reads as simple harmless encouragement of friends and club mates. Sure, it's kinda silly to try and boast about a placing or slot that was there for the taking regardless of pace, but is it really that important? No.
I thought you were going to complain about the horror that is online discussion of Trump, Brexit, etc.... have some perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who cares. I'm done commenting on triathlon stuff on social media. Triathletes are too sensitive. Some guy posted on the IMchoo fb page asking if there would be a vegetarian option at the post race breakfast. My first response was to post "yeah, they moved it to ross's landing this year which has plenty of grass so you are covered"...then I took it down because I realized that my profile is affiliated with a number of local clubs and not only would the original poster get butthurt but probably people of the clubs I belong to for me not being "sensitive" enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is ok to have principles. Like 'Mediocrity should not be praised'. It is OK to have negative feelings if the principles are violated around you. It is even OK to act upon it, like tore them a new one if they brag too much.

I'd just advice to be careful with negative emotions and acting upon them. If done too much, it could have derogatory effect on your mood, motivation, even triathlon training!!!

That's my nerdy way to say 'Lighten up!" :)
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I thought you were going to complain about the horror that is online discussion of Trump, Brexit, etc.... have some perspective.

So long as people aren't talking about any topics in this realm, I couldn't give less of a shit what people are talking about. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of 24/7 TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.....

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
There's a lot of very harmful half-truths and downright deception on social media. Criticise that. The stuff you're upset about reads as simple harmless encouragement of friends and club mates. Sure, it's kinda silly to try and boast about a placing or slot that was there for the taking regardless of pace, but is it really that important? No.

This is a good post.

I even run into this with the faster category bike racer crowd. Anyone that isn't a 4/5 pretty much acts like they're a damn Euro pro and acts like you sniffing podium at a fondo is akin to bowling with the gutter guards up. Piss off.

Sometimes people wonder why more people don't do things, and it's stuff like this that may contribute to people leaving or not joining groups and sports.

It if isn't intentionally harmful or a "dirt nap" level of delusion, let it be.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

So long as people aren't talking about any topics in this realm, I couldn't give less of a shit what people are talking about. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of 24/7 TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.....
And this side of the Atlantic we've as much absurd Brexit drivel as we do Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo if you ever have kids - they are going to be fooked up haha

Timmy: Dad I got 5th in my age group today!
You: Out of 7. You aren't an athlete - you are a disgrace.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you get this from my post?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more. Call me cynical but misleading posts are incredibly aggravating. I've seen people (specifically in the 18-24 AG) going on about how they qualified for 70.3 worlds. What they fail to mention is that no one at that age can afford to go so it rolled down to 20th place and your parents paid for the trip. I'm not trying to bring them down, it is an amazing opportunity, but they need to stop selling it to everyone like they actually qualified for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha i'll one up you and go with "sponsored" athletes....when the reality is you are just getting 20% off but have to plug their brand with 18 different hashtags EVERY single time you do a workout.

And then the creme de la creme....these "sponsored" athletes aren't the fastest pros, hell they aren't the fastest AG'ers....they are middle of the road AG'ers who get the "sponsorships".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
I would just avoid useless praise, as it detracts from when one really sees exceptional performance. Which is not an absolute concept - it's all relative to people's situation and potential!

I think this is the crux of what you were trying to get at. I'm really happy for somebody to podium in their AG, even 3rd out of 3, if that was coupled with improvement in their time/speed/power/whatever. But I think that's because I have the 'competer' mentality instead of 'completer' where I'm impressed with training effort and improvement. Even for myself, last weekend I took my first ever overall 1st place in an Oly, but it was out of around 70 athletes and none of them particularly fast as I didn't have a great personal performance. It was cool to be 1st, but I'm personally much happier about placing 3/60 in my AG in a larger race where there were many really fast people there. It's just a different mindset.

We have to realize that many people in the MOP and BOP are of the completer mentality and when they happen to back into a situation where they are getting an award, podium, worlds/national slot, they are not used to that situation and are both excited and don't really know how to react and don't break down their race by placement overall/sex/AG for each segment after every race. They just know they got a medal that's different from their finishers medal and what better place to brag about it than on social media?

And I think that's part of the reason I find myself gravitating to ST vs other forums. Here there seems to be more people of that competer mentality and less of the completer. Sounds like you might want to cut back on those other outlets and come here if you want us to rip apart your latest race and tell you why your 2/10 in your AG was a fluke and you'll never KQ :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me guess, you are more like a FOP athlete? Maybe you could write Frodo or Seb Kienle an email and brag about your accomplishments....you know what they would tell you: Great work dude, keep it coming.

I have changed my mindset and try to constantly look up (as opposed to look down) in order to be inspired of how I could improve (in anything). When it comes to hobbies of the first world, I could not care less about who brags about what.

Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think I agree with others. There are companies that deliberately mislead you about science and data to get you to spend $3000 on a wheel, but people being proud of accomplishments that you feel are not that great and not providing the full context of their qualification or whatever is no big deal. It does not hurt anyone and it makes them feel good.

I think some people worry that a person qualifying for world's by finishing 3rd out of 5 people or getting a really big roll-down somehow diminishes their qualification which was 2nd place out of 300 in their AG (I'm not saying this is you) but the reality is a) that people who follow triathlon and your close family know already and b) the most important thing is how you feel about your accomplishment, not some other rando.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I share your perspective about such posts. However, people have been bragging this way since they start grunting to each other. The internet has just made it easier to share with more people. The internet has also made it easier to find event results to see the full story.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 23, 19 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#AWA

We live in a world where everyone wants praise and we are in a sport with personalities that range from every spectrum. I wouldn’t get too worked up about it. I do, however, get irritated when people flat out lie about PRs and placement. Like why? Everyone can look it up.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
AI need no validation other than enjoying the sport.

That's why you're here in an internet chatroom seeking confirmation via a long diatribe complaining that after careful monitoring, you've found personality flaws in your social peers.

I'd say take your own advice: enjoy the sport. When you see something you think is genuine achievement, praise it. When you don't, ignore it.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule 1: Never Feed Them

Also:

Registered
Jan 2, 19 6:46
Last Logged On
Aug 23, 19 1:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always on the lookout for posts with "Who wants to buy/sell a bib for <insert sold out event with no transfer policy - or past the due date for transfer - here>?"

If you see one of those, send me a PM and I'll get right on it

#TheBibHunter

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you could change your attitude. https://www.runnersworld.com/...elite-state-of-mind/

I'm 42, will never KQ, will never finish in top 10 AG unless it's a really small race and/or a really really small AG with mostly beginners, will always be in the middle of the back of any pack and am happy to race my races, run my runs, swim my swims, bike my bikes blah blah blah. I won't inflate my completions but I'm not competing. If you were truly wanting to only see the folks who are "competers" talk about/post about/share their accomplishments, be willing to watch the world of triathlon shrivel up and die. None of us want that. You don't have to join in a groundswell of what you see as a praise of mediocrity- you don't have to agree with it. Simply bypass. Don't read it. Train and race happy. What you see as mediocre for one finisher may very well have actually been their PR. Or not. Who cares except for that person and their brethren?

Meanwhile, on to my first 70.3 in OOB on Sunday, which is only my third triathlon. I will be so happy to finish, and I will stay around and cheer until the damn time cutoff. The elites will have finished, I am pretty sure, almost 3 hours before I will, if not more. So will probably 75-85% of my AG. Maybe more. But my mom has come up from Austin, my husband and my kids will be there, and they don't care about my performance. Other than cheating or doping or bad bike handling (booooo), I don't care about other athletes' anything except their safety.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah man. You are so right. Whoops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
... I need no validation other than enjoying the sport.

For someone that needs no validation from others, you sure get bent out of shape by others. Methinks you're not as immune to ego as you thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Avoiding social media half truths and promotion of mediocrity - basic etiquette rules needed? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote] I'd say take your own advice: enjoy the sport. When you see something you think is genuine achievement, praise it. When you don't, ignore it. [/quote]

This.
Quote Reply

Prev Next