Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Honest question - is there much normalizing of male fatties? Seem's everything I read about it (which is basically just here from time to time) is all female focused.

Or do we not care because dudes are just generally considered to be gross anyhow?

No one gives a shit about guys in any capacity in modern society

No, it's found in the attempt to claim that "dad bods" are the goal now.

I didn't realize that was the goal now, thank you for making me feel better about myself.

Yep.

https://www.msn.com/...tudy-says/ar-AAD3K0P

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Also, I know to an extent people get used to carrying the mass. But, when I carry a bucket of mortar to our bath remodel or feed bags to the shed I always think “man, it would suck to weigh that much more!”. Also dead vs live weight yada yada yada. But still.

Walking in to work this morning I saw a man and woman walking in from their car; him-approximately 120+ pounds overweight, her-I'd guess 80-90.

In the 100 yards to the front door I saw them stop three times to catch their breath.

It wouldn't be very fun.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, with the normalization of being a fattie..........

The reason why people are trying to normalize it is that it's one of the remaining places where much of our society feels that it is still perfectly acceptable to be disrespectful to them, your post as an example.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Honest question - is there much normalizing of male fatties? Seem's everything I read about it (which is basically just here from time to time) is all female focused.

Or do we not care because dudes are just generally considered to be gross anyhow?

I didn't realize that was the goal now, thank you for making me feel better about myself.

Yep.

https://www.msn.com/...tudy-says/ar-AAD3K0P

Yeah, that shit doesn't fly in my house. My wife ordered a couple pair of jeans for me last Christmas. I told her that I wasn't sure the same size would still fit. She told me that was what we had so I better figure out how to make them work.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

Careful

I started a "dad bod" thread a little while ago, and it got locked

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s_P6959485/#p6959485

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah is it really that hard to talk about the potential health consequences of obesity while not being insulting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

The reason why people are trying to normalize it is that it's one of the remaining places where much of our society feels that it is still perfectly acceptable to be disrespectful to them, your post as an example.

Barry, I agree with you. I really do. It's a tough topic because it is a real health crisis and it is getting worse. One area truly hard hit is elderly care. Wifie was the rehab director at a long term care facility. In the last few years, she was seeing an issue that is not well known. First, the people come into what should be a geriatric unit are getting younger and younger because their bodies are breaking down from excess weight. Second, it is getting harder and harder for rehab to work with them. Companies have had to build new lifts, new bed, and new wheelchairs to accommodate the increased size of individuals coming into these facilities. In addition, staff are simply unable to move some of these people.

I know you are not disagreeing with this and I don't mean to sound like I am opposing anything you said. I fully agree with you and am not implying you feel contrary to my statement. It just seemed like your comment was a good jumping off point for me to make my tangential remarks.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine, after doing some reading on the topic, has said several times, "So you're a white man and you're almost 50? Over the next 20 years, you're friends are going to start dying off, mostly the overweight ones." As I type that I'm reminded that I just lost one a couple of months ago.

Also, to your point, my cousin is a back surgeon. One of the things he finds frustrating is that a lot of his patients are severely obese. Its their weight that is causing their back problems, but he said that he can't even operate on them because they are too heavy.

We move a lot less than we used to, and we have a lot more unhealthy food available.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And its my cholesterol that's going to kill me (speaking of food related health).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
We move a lot less than we used to, and we have a lot more unhealthy food available.

This is the problem.

People today are exorbitantly lazy. People today are exorbitantly consumed by gluttony. Obesity is a 110% self inflicted issue that does NOT have to exist if you don't want it to.
I don't think it's okay to be fat because it's not. It's unhealthy for endless reasons.

Here's a story. I had a good friend who was pretty overweight because he drank sugary drinks 24/7, ate fast food for every meal, and didn't exercise. Instead of just accepting him as is and "not being a dick" I told him that he was a fat ass and needed to lose weight. In the short term, he thought I was an asshole, naturally. But in the long term, he ended up losing over 65 pounds because of the rude awakening. His posture improved, his confidence, everything changed for him.

People need to not be accepting of absolutely EVERYTHING just because they don't want to make waves. Obviously YMMV

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

You bring up a good point. Speaking for myself in retrospect I did not hesitate to type out "fattie" in my response either (did not even pause doing that). Breaking my #1 life philosophy. Good reminder and point.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

You bring up a good point. Speaking for myself in retrospect I did not hesitate to type out "fattie" in my response either (did not even pause doing that). Breaking my #1 life philosophy. Good reminder and point.

Ok, ok. Fine. I didn't either.

How about I agree that talking off the cuff about "fatties" is equally unproductive as not using a medically appropriate and necessary label such as "obese"?

I'll agree to not denigrate folks. It's the same as calling someone a retard who has a mental handicap.

But, today's society is pretty much making it non-PC to even call people obese. I'm not talking about personal identifiers either. Like, "who is Bob"? Well Bob is the guy with black hair in a GI cut who is average height and likes to vape.

I mean, when referring to serious issues with people like being a smoker, an alcoholic, etc.... It's equally as serious, but it's "too touchy".

I file it under the "common man's crime" idea. Everyone speeds and kills pedestrians and cyclists, so nobody really wants to make the punishment harsh. So many people are obese, they hold enough power in the social strata to make it "wrong" to say they're obese.

IIRC we had a mini-war on cigarette smoking in this country, pretty successfully.

I can't see an equal war on obesity going off too well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
A friend of mine, after doing some reading on the topic, has said several times, "So you're a white man and you're almost 50? Over the next 20 years, you're friends are going to start dying off, mostly the overweight ones." As I type that I'm reminded that I just lost one a couple of months ago.

Also, to your point, my cousin is a back surgeon. One of the things he finds frustrating is that a lot of his patients are severely obese. Its their weight that is causing their back problems, but he said that he can't even operate on them because they are too heavy.

A friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist does epidurals for women in labor and complains a majority of his patients are so fat he can't find where he should be inserting the needle for the injection in the back. You have to guess where your markers are on the back because all the usual indicators ( hip bones, spine contour etc) are covered in layers of fat.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lose weight or it's a natural birth for you?

that's a good incentive.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, except it's already far too late at that point. It's already too late as soon as they're pregnant, for that matter; nobody loses weight during a pregnancy. Hell, even a lot of expecting dads tend to gain weight along w/ their wives/baby mamas.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife lost two pounds during pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Well, except it's already far too late at that point. It's already too late as soon as they're pregnant, for that matter; nobody loses weight during a pregnancy. Hell, even a lot of expecting dads tend to gain weight along w/ their wives/baby mamas.

Not to mention sending the baby's brain the message that there isn't enough food in the world seems like a good way to bias that baby to becoming an overweight adult if in fact there is plenty of food (e.g. Dutch Hunger Winter study, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Which is worse, people who comment on celebrity social media or people who comment about commenters on celebrity social media or people who comment about the commenters commenting on commenters on celebrity social media. I think the first.
I love it! I was thinking "Why did the comments on a celebrities social media become a news piece?"
Quote Reply
Re: "Body Shaming" celebs for being too skinny [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Obesity is a 110% self inflicted issue that does NOT have to exist if you don't want it to.

That's not entirely true. I used to think so until I've known enough people who really struggle with their body weight. A lot of it is self inflicted. Some of it is genetic. Some of it is societal.

Most people have a range of weights that are realistic if they don't live in a concentration camp. There's the sedentary and eat like shit weight. There's the exercise moderately and eat moderately weight. And there's the live like a professional athlete weight.

At 6'3" my ranges used to be 185lbs. 165lbs. 150lbs. At 46 years old, those ranges are now 220lbs (I'm guessing). 190lbs. 170 lbs (again, guessing). Someone like Oprah Winfrey is going to have a propensity to put on a lot more body fat than someone like Steve Buscemi. Its unrealistic for people raising kids while working desk jobs and having an interest in something other than obsessive triathloning to live like a professional athlete. Some of those people will never see the south side of 200 lbs.

Quote Reply

Prev Next