Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1 Week Off Swim 4 Weeks Out from Ironman Wisconsin
Quote | Reply
I have to take a week off due to getting Lasik surgery. I can do all my training as normal except for the swim, which can't do for 5-7 days. What can I do during that time to make up for the lost time? I was thinking some sort of weights, but unsure, just want to make sure a year's+ worth of training doesn't go to dust

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Week Off Swim 4 Weeks Out from Ironman Wisconsin [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t worry about it, it’s only a week and if you’ve been training for the whole year one week means nothing. Run and bike more or next time schedule your surgery after the race ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Week Off Swim 4 Weeks Out from Ironman Wisconsin [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get some stretch cords and do some dry land swimming if you’re worried, but I don’t think 5-7 days will really make much of a difference.

Quote | Reply
Maybe some rowing if you have access to a machine

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be totally fine. Don’t loose any sleep over it. I wasn’t having some shoulder issues about a month before IM Canada last year. Took 10 days off swimming about 1 month out. Shoulder felt great after the break and had a PR swim in a sleeveless wetsuit no less.

After taking a week off, make your first swim a little easy (sort of on the low end of what you’d normally do volume/intensity wise) then get right back at it for a couple swims before rolling into your taper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chilllllll bro (or gal). You will literally lose no swim fitness in 5-7 days. We (including me) way over think fitness loss in just a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
‘The hay is in the barn”. Trust your training and chill.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Week Off Swim 4 Weeks Out from Ironman Wisconsin [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrankShaft wrote:
‘The hay is in the barn”. Trust your training and chill.

The hay is NEVER in the barn!!

But yes - trust your training and chill.

If anything, the week off might help heal up any small niggles, and you’ll come back raring to go the next week.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to go back and check, but after lasik I am pretty sure I lost a few weeks of everything based on the Dr’s recommendation.

But I am a heavy sweater and that was one of the factors the Dr considered.

Sweat running down your forehead and into your eye can introduce bacteria. The same but not as intense as swimming would.

I would postpone the procedure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I have to take a week off due to getting Lasik surgery. I can do all my training as normal except for the swim, which can't do for 5-7 days. What can I do during that time to make up for the lost time? I was thinking some sort of weights, but unsure, just want to make sure a year's+ worth of training doesn't go to dust

x4 on just chill. For a reference, in 2017 I really did even start training until about July 15th (for IMWI) and the pool had been closed where I live for renovations. I did some "bath water" swimming in the local lake where you couldn't swim anything but easy. I started swimming in a pool about 10 days out. I was absolutely fine and from someone without a swim background too. As long as you have a base you will be fine. Use the last 3 weeks to really push the swim and recover from your run and bike training. Have a great race :) Have a great procedure :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm taking 6 days off to go on vacation with my wife that same week before the same race. It will be okay. I can get some light running in, but I don't think I am going to leave her alone in a cabin too much that week. Enjoy the recovery and then stay sharp the three weeks before IMWI. You will do great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t do anything new to try to substitute. You will not lose any swim performance missing a week. Bike and run and be done.
Quote Reply