Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Funny I wax just getting ready to post about this because I want to buy a new SC but don't want to get burned by a new model coming out 2 months after I buy this one

I wouldn't worry one iota about that. If anything, you'll be able to pick up a rim brake SC at a discount. I mean the technology had a ~100-year run so it must have something going for it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure IsoSpeed would work well with TT STAs.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

My wish list for a new SC: easier to wrench, easier to pack up for travel, build in a little comfort (somehow). Assuming that they go with disc brakes, it would be nice to see the thru-axles, seat post binder, saddle clamp, and cockpit bolts all use the same size hex key (or torx... might as well make it torx). Oh yeah, and a 3T Revo style base bar. I'm flabbergasted more companies haven't tried that approach. So much more secure.

I honestly think you nailed it. The Trek SC is consistently a fast bike, but maybe one of the most difficult to wrench on and adjust, especially from a fitter's perspective. Something like a tririg/cervelo style bar would do wonders. Anything other than the seemingly endless number of bolts on there now.

The revo bar, meh.

I have a buddy packing his new SC now, leaving for Roth tomorrow...he texted me a couple hours ago saying how he shouldn't have waited to try breaking it down until the trip. He's hating life right now...this is his 2nd Trek SC. He's already having anxiety attacks about putting it together when he gets to Germany. Told him he should pick up a Canyon while there & sell the Trek in that case.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve traveled to AU with my trek sc.
If you have basic knowledge and own a torque wrench, it’s really a non issue. A few more steps, sure, but nothing life altering, esp w Di2. Someone should create an SC specific case with a separate padded case for all the small parts.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I would think it wouldn't be too horrible. I'm decent with wrenching some things, can't touch trueing a wheel though. But have a Cervelo P3 & there isn't much to do but pop stuff on & off with a Torque wrench. I'd be interested in seeing someone video a Trek SC build after arriving at a race, to see if it really is much of a cluster.

As it stands, due to complaints about lack of user-friendliness of the Trek SC, if I were in the market today for a new bike, I would in part, disqualify a Trek for that reason. But would have to really see for sure prior to laying down any dough. I consider it one of the best bikes out there speedwise, but without a disc (it's all moving that way)--that's another reason. Likely would go P5-disc at this point. They're ahead of the curve at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I built up my sc last year it was with travel in mind. Mono plug-in + etap makes life very easy, and I’m no mechanic. Also doesn’t hurt I was lucky enough to snag a PremierBike case, but even with another case it would be fairly easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don’t understand the complaints about adjusting, disassembly, and the brakes.

I take out 9 screws on the sc when traveling and that’s probably overkill: 3 underneath the basebar, 3 for the speed fin, the RD, and 2 for the seatpost.

The SC was the first bike that actually had a wide range of adjustment. No other mfg has matched it’s ease and range of adjusting pad x IMO. You combine the SC pad x adjustment with the pad y adjustment of the p5x/p5disc, you have created the best front end ever.

The brakes work perfectly fine and are easy to adjust if you take your time to understand how they work. 95% of bike shops don’t know how to even work on them. Most people don’t even know the gen 2 rear brake has set screws to make micro adjustments to the rear(gen 1 didn’t). You need to keep the rear brake clean to keep it performing well. Ride in the rain? Sweat profusely on the trainer? All that gunk collects in the rear brake and binds things up. Even the pivot points that are mounted into the frame need to be cleaned. My best advice to anyone having brake issues:

1. Take the entire brake assembly apart and clean it. Seriously.... this solves almost all problems.
2. Always run the longest cable housing possible. Too short causes problems.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [tek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure it’ll be here eventually; more time for me to save up for when it’s finally released!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tonyg420 wrote:
When I built up my sc last year it was with travel in mind. Mono plug-in + etap makes life very easy, and I’m no mechanic. Also doesn’t hurt I was lucky enough to snag a PremierBike case, but even with another case it would be fairly easy.

Indeed, I have the Mono plug-in and Di2 and it's not "that bad". I just unhook the cables running to the aero extensions, pull the front brake cover, pull the wedge, undo the three bolts under the base bar, pull the seat post, remove the rear derailleur, and that's it. That's for a Scicon hard case. My beef is that the bolts under the base bar are kind of a pain to get to.

Some of that stuff you have to do on any bike no matter what. You're always going to have to remove the seat post, remove the rear derailleur, and do something about the aero extensions. If you have disc brakes you have to put spacers into the brakes to hold the pads open.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A whole lot of people ride Zwift...youngsters here in NZ are being scouted off the back of their online riding. Video games also gross more money than most movies. Yes, it's a powerful selling platform.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about that. Buy the bike you want. If you're braking a lot you're doing it wrong.

Nobody ever said "I have to contribute this win to my brakes".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know anything about how zwift bikes work in this way but you are severely underestimating how much video games have the ability to influence real life purchases.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I don’t know anything about how zwift bikes work in this way but you are severely underestimating how much video games have the ability to influence real life purchases.
Am I?

Zwift use is a tiny subset of the entire cycling market.
Of the tri/TT market (also a tiny subset of the cycling market), Zwift is also a small market.
Trek has 3 bikes (Domaine, Madone, Emonda) in the game.
Was it an oversight by Trek marketing that they did not include a SC in the game?

Much like everything else on Slowtwitch, we are myopic.
What's the testable, provable value for Trek to spend to reach a few percentage points of the market in a game by including the SC? (I'm not privvy to Zwift or Trek marketing data, etc.)
Does it outweigh sponsoring NBC/NBCSN tv time during TDF coverage, for instance?
What about getting Tim O or Helle F in front of 1000000s of eyeballs?

I'm not dimissing Zwift as a marketing platform for brands; I'm dismissing the importance placed on it, from a few anecdotes here.

I'll openly admit I'm wrong, if a brand marketing rep indicates otherwise.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 25, 19 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Am I?.

Yes you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
philly1x wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Am I?.

Yes you are.
Data me (that's the ST mantra, right?)

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah as others have said it’s not that hard to pack up the SC if you have electronic shifting.

If you have mechanical - well that’ll be a royal PITA. In fact I can get onboard with the grumbling about the bike being a pain to wrench and fit with mechanical.

But with Di2 or eTap - it’s just a little more work than a traditional head tube.
Quote Reply

Prev Next