Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where is the Speed Concept Disc?
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know they’ve said the can’t make the rim brake SC faster but ENVE also said they couldn’t make a disc wheel faster than their 78mm wheel. It’s just corporate speak to bide time until the new product makes it to marketing material and retailers.

I was looking at an aero, disc Madone on Friday (very nice-looking bike) and thought “oh yeah, this is coming and it will look a little like this”.

Plus Trek doesn’t have a TT/tri bike in Zwift though they are undoubtedly one of the largest bicycle manufacturers in the world and everyone else has TT bike/s on Zwift. It’s just not the kind of thing that is just overlooked.

So when do people think it will launch? My guess is it will make it to the teams this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe when they figure they can make it faster or there is a LARGE market demand but until then......the answer is no.

What is the incentive to make one unless you're fighting for market share and in the bike world TT bikes are a tiny slice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Plus Trek doesn’t have a TT/tri bike in Zwift though they are undoubtedly one of the largest bicycle manufacturers in the world and everyone else has TT bike/s on Zwift. It’s just not the kind of thing that is just overlooked.

So, a video game is a good business case for selling a new model bike, IRL.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 24, 19 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they don't give into marketing pressure and make a speed concept disk. As disc bikes are inherently less aero and there's not reason to need discs on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just saying that arguably the world's top-selling TT bike is not on the world's largest eCycling platform. My guess is that a new model is in the pipeline. I don't know any more than anyone else, but I'd wager we'll see a prototype or two trickle into the TdF or Kona this year. My guess will be easy to verify or disprove in just a few months.

Quote:
Maybe when they figure they can make it faster or there is a LARGE market demand but until then......the answer is no.

What is the incentive to make one unless you're fighting for market share and in the bike world TT bikes are a tiny slice?

They might as well just shutter the doors on their conventional bicycle business and just focus on eBikes right?
Last edited by: Timtek: Jun 24, 19 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Hopefully they don't give into marketing pressure and make a speed concept disk.

At some point it just becomes market pressure. They're going to have to, eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering how finicky their existing rim brakes are on the current SC I'm beginning to think it may be an upgrade if they come out with a decent disc version. I do love my SC though...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Hopefully they don't give into marketing pressure and make a speed concept disk. As disc bikes are inherently less aero and there's not reason to need discs on a TT bike.

We have left this argument behind. It's time to move on. Disc brakes are here to stay, rim brakes are going away slowly. You will be okay.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suspicion is that it will be a while. At least another year. SC isn't a high-volume bike and Trek probably has bigger fish to fry first. Also, there's been whisperings that Trek has had a tough time making a bike faster than the SC (despite having plenty of resources and pretty solid CFD, Carl mentioned that when he left their CFD was consistently within 2% of what they would see in the tunnel). We saw that manifest with the new Madone where Trek accidentally told us that the new disc Madone is actually a hair slower than the old rim brake Madone.

My wish list for a new SC: easier to wrench, easier to pack up for travel, build in a little comfort (somehow). Assuming that they go with disc brakes, it would be nice to see the thru-axles, seat post binder, saddle clamp, and cockpit bolts all use the same size hex key (or torx... might as well make it torx). Oh yeah, and a 3T Revo style base bar. I'm flabbergasted more companies haven't tried that approach. So much more secure.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My suspicion is that it will be a while. At least another year.

I don’t doubt that timeline for an official launch. But at some point I’d guess a few will get tested under team conditions and we’ll see photos and hear a “no comment” statement.

Pretty much every bicycle manufacturer has released their disc TT bikes so that’s why I suspect it will be soon.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to the plot in their white paper where the old Madone is faster at low yaw? Or is there something else that I'm not aware of?

With that in mind I believe their new Madone is likely even faster than the disc brake model as that has front brake integration and updated frame shaping.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Considering how finicky their existing rim brakes are on the current SC I'm beginning to think it may be an upgrade if they come out with a decent disc version. I do love my SC though...

I can attest to this very statement - I have hands down had more issues with my SC than any other bike product (this includes even my Garmin V3 pedals).

The brakes are inherently finicky -I do a lot of technical races and riding and have had them warrantied a few times from the bronze bushings seizing on them and the brakes themselves come out of adjustment a lot in my experience. I have had other issues with it to, probably one of the most well known was the mono extension cradle bolts.

I digress however - I enjoy the bike and truly believe that disc brakes would be an upgrade for this TT bike or any TT bike. I dont know how they would integrate it however so that the cockpit is easily changed around and that might be where the biggest issue is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
My suspicion is that it will be a while. At least another year.

I don’t doubt that timeline for an official launch. But at some point I’d guess a few will get tested under team conditions and we’ll see photos and hear a “no comment” statement.

Pretty much every bicycle manufacturer has released their disc TT bikes so that’s why I suspect it will be soon.

IMO, I think will probably see a disc brake Giant Trinity before we see a disc brake Speed Concept. The SC's brakes are actually decent once they are set up correctly and, though they are fiddly, they are VASTLY better than the brakes on the Trinity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My wish list for a new SC: easier to wrench, easier to pack up for travel, build in a little comfort (somehow). Assuming that they go with disc brakes, it would be nice to see the thru-axles, seat post binder, saddle clamp, and cockpit bolts all use the same size hex key (or torx... might as well make it torx). Oh yeah, and a 3T Revo style base bar. I'm flabbergasted more companies haven't tried that approach. So much more secure.

I honestly think you nailed it. The Trek SC is consistently a fast bike, but maybe one of the most difficult to wrench on and adjust, especially from a fitter's perspective. Something like a tririg/cervelo style bar would do wonders. Anything other than the seemingly endless number of bolts on there now.

The revo bar, meh.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t have to have the drop of the Revo to get the security, just sweep the base bar forward which has the additional aero benefit of a higher aspect ratio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sweep I have no problem with it's having the grips underneath. I also think it looks hideous. I'm ok with ugly if it's faster than alternatives, I've not seen anything to convince me that's the case.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically what I’m saying is: sweep the bars forward, have the “grips” extend to the rear instead of out the front as in a normal bar. Thumb braces against base bar, pinky and ring finger hold the “grip”, index and middle finger brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Basically what I’m saying is: sweep the bars forward, have the “grips” extend to the rear instead of out the front as in a normal bar. Thumb braces against base bar, pinky and ring finger hold the “grip”, index and middle finger brake.

I get what you're saying now, still can't see the point in it. Never found traditional base bars to be a hazard. The design you're proposing also pushes the brake lever forward and away from the hand.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride the Revo back to back against a traditional base bar the additional security is undeniable, especially on a fast descent or over chip seal. Pushing the brake lever forward has a huge benefit: ~70% of your hands’ grip force is in the index and middle finger. Traditional brake placement gives all the leverage to the pinkie and ring fingers. If you ride a mountain bike with a proper cockpit setup the tip of the brake lever will be in line with your index finger and you will only use your index finger to brake. Set up the lever further out so your pinkie can grip it and it’s debatable whether or not you can apply more total force (because the fingers with all the strength are at a point on the lever with less leverage) but modulation certainly becomes worse (and we’re not even going to go into how sketchy that sort of hand positioning would be on a MTB).
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Same I love my SC but when I have to mess with the brakes... yikes.

On thread topic... I think the disc model comes out this year... TdF or Kona maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I'm just saying that arguably the world's top-selling TT bike is not on the world's largest eCycling platform. My guess is that a new model is in the pipeline. I don't know any more than anyone else, but I'd wager we'll see a prototype or two trickle into the TdF or Kona this year. My guess will be easy to verify or disprove in just a few months.

Quote:

They might as well just shutter the doors on their conventional bicycle business and just focus on eBikes right?

How does a bike get on Zwift in the first place? Pay for it? If so maybe Trek didn't think it was worth the money???
Last edited by: Scottxs: Jun 24, 19 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
How does a bike get on Zwift in the first place? Pay for it? If so maybe Trek didn't think it was worth the money???

Good question. Maybe Rappstar can chime in.

They do currently have their big 3 road bikes on the platform so there is that.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny I wax just getting ready to post about this because I want to buy a new SC but don't want to get burned by a new model coming out 2 months after I buy this one

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Speed Concept Disc? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Fuller wrote:

Same I love my SC but when I have to mess with the brakes... yikes.

On thread topic... I think the disc model comes out this year... TdF or Kona maybe?

If you don't see it at the TdF I doubt you'll see it at Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfort? IsoSpeed decoupler or slider would be comfy. There's always the Madone SLR 6 Speed I guess.
Quote Reply

Prev Next