Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf)
Quote | Reply
I'm not enough of a purist to let it bother me. But some people seem to be at least a little upset.

Asked a question about the PGA Championship allowing John Daly to ride in a cart for this weekend’s event, Tiger Woods let us draw our own conclusions.

But there’s no doubt about where he — pardon the pun — stands.

“I walked with a broken leg, so ... ”

It goes to the "are golfers athletes" question. If Daly is riding in a cart, it seems like it's less of an athletic competition. (Imagine someone with bad legs riding a cart to play football.). It will be interesting to see what the fans are like when he jumps into the cart after the first tee.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tiger-woods-isnt-a-fan-of-john-dalys-plan-to-ride-in-a-cart/ar-AABlCJo?li=BBnb7Kz

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it hard to light up a cigarette if you've got your hands on the steering wheel?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
I'm not enough of a purist to let it bother me. But some people seem to be at least a little upset.

Asked a question about the PGA Championship allowing John Daly to ride in a cart for this weekend’s event, Tiger Woods let us draw our own conclusions.

But there’s no doubt about where he — pardon the pun — stands.

“I walked with a broken leg, so ... ”

It goes to the "are golfers athletes" question. If Daly is riding in a cart, it seems like it's less of an athletic competition. (Imagine someone with bad legs riding a cart to play football.). It will be interesting to see what the fans are like when he jumps into the cart after the first tee.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tiger-woods-isnt-a-fan-of-john-dalys-plan-to-ride-in-a-cart/ar-AABlCJo?li=BBnb7Kz

We have good golfer reduced to this to get noticed. I bet he sell t-shirts.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Casey Martin, ADA, blah blah blah. I remember the issue from back when he sued for the right to use a cart. I think walking is part of the game at the competitive level, and don't see how/why ADA should have had any jurisdiction over the USGA or the PGA at the time, and still don't. At some point, shouldn't you be responsible for choosing a profession in which you are fully qualified and capable of performing?

As far as John Daly? Well if he has the requisite doctor's note, then why not, right? Sadly we're past the issue of whether it's right or wrong to use a cart, and he has to be granted one. It's total BS. I think one of the arguments for Casey Martin at the time was that he was a good enough golfer - striker of the ball - to qualify for the US Open but was held back by a physical inability to walk for 4 days straight. The courts determined walking wasn't an integral part of the game, despite the fact that the organizations had written into their rules the requirement to walk. I can't think of a professional sports parallel that is good - might be why they lost their case - I don't know. Can I use a Segway in professional soccer if I'm a really good kicker of the ball, but have an ailment that prevents me from doing all that running?

I like big John, but it's time to hang 'em up.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Isn't it hard to light up a cigarette and hold a beer if you've got your hands on the steering wheel?

Fixed it for ya'!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It goes to the "are golfers athletes" question.

Anyone who thinks a golfer isn't an athlete or that golf isn't a sport has never played golf.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Anyone who thinks a golfer isn't an athlete or that golf isn't a sport has never played golf.
YEAH!

Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

What about throwing darts? The best guys have excellent hand/eye coordination but I wouldn't say they are athletic. I would say golfers have a great skill but is it athletic? Today these guys hit the ball a mile and work out. Most of the younger golfers are in very good shape. Look back to Duffy Waldorf or Craig Stadler, hell, Phil Mickelson has quite a bit of excess baggage around his belly.

With all that being said, Tiger was the first golfer I remember have a strict workout routine. I don't think a lot of golfers did much weight training or cardio, most just went out and hit 1000 golf balls every day. That takes a ton of stamina. I can run and bike for long periods of time but I don't golf well after 18 holes, my arms and back are beat.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually OK with it. I didn't know about the precedent with Casey Martin, that was interesting to learn.

I think it's funny that any pro golfer who doesn't even carry his own clubs could have any big problem with this. If you want to be a purist, carry your own damn clubs. I enjoy watching amateur events largely for that reason. To me, that's real golf.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
I'm actually OK with it. I didn't know about the precedent with Casey Martin, that was interesting to learn.

I think it's funny that any pro golfer who doesn't even carry his own clubs could have any big problem with this. If you want to be a purist, carry your own damn clubs. I enjoy watching amateur events largely for that reason. To me, that's real golf.

A purist uses a caddy.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.
Bingo. And they also use caddies at high-level amateur events.

Could you imagine a purist today.. using a 12 year old caddie who might weigh less than the bag. He'd also be an amateur holding down a day job as an accountant or lawyer, as golfing for money puts you just above petty gambler in the Olde English caste system.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Casey Martin, ADA, blah blah blah. I remember the issue from back when he sued for the right to use a cart. I think walking is part of the game at the competitive level, and don't see how/why ADA should have had any jurisdiction over the USGA or the PGA at the time, and still don't. At some point, shouldn't you be responsible for choosing a profession in which you are fully qualified and capable of performing?

As far as John Daly? Well if he has the requisite doctor's note, then why not, right? Sadly we're past the issue of whether it's right or wrong to use a cart, and he has to be granted one. It's total BS. I think one of the arguments for Casey Martin at the time was that he was a good enough golfer - striker of the ball - to qualify for the US Open but was held back by a physical inability to walk for 4 days straight. The courts determined walking wasn't an integral part of the game, despite the fact that the organizations had written into their rules the requirement to walk. I can't think of a professional sports parallel that is good - might be why they lost their case - I don't know. Can I use a Segway in professional soccer if I'm a really good kicker of the ball, but have an ailment that prevents me from doing all that running?

I like big John, but it's time to hang 'em up.

How about a wheelchair for a marathon (non-handicapped division). Some of those guys are fast....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.

Could you imagine a purist today.. using a 12 year old caddie who might weigh less than the bag. He'd also be an amateur holding down a day job as an accountant or lawyer, as golfing for money puts you just above petty gambler in the Olde English caste system.

I used to caddy for my brother. We got paired with Daly and his amateur partner at the Straight Down ProAm SLO Country Club many moons ago.

Good times.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.

I used to caddy for my brother. We got paired with Daly and his amateur partner at the Straight Down ProAm SLO Country Club many moons ago.

Good times.
That must have been a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.

That's interesting about some high-level amateur events allowing caddies. I've only seen a little bit of amateur golf because it's not on TV much. I just remember several NCAA events where the players were all carrying their own clubs, and I liked that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.

Good times.

The gallery following us was a bit much TBH.

Daly showed up 20 minutes before Toff in his giant RV, steps up to the range with a burger and cup (of something liquid) from McDonalds in one hand, nine iron in the other and cigarette in his mouth.

Hit a dozen or so balls with one hand, never putting down the cup/burger combo, called it good and walked off to our first tee (shotgun start).

The alarm on his RV went off and you could hear it for miles, about as loud as fire engine siren system.

Super nice guy but a walking shit show.

Tom Lehman was there one year as well. Swing like buttered grease.

Didn’t come across all that nice but I can’t really pass judgment based on our brief encounter.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: May 14, 19 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
ripple wrote:
Duffy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

A purist uses a caddy.

Good times.

The gallery following us was a bit much TBH.

Daly showed up 20 minutes before Toff in his giant RV, steps up to the range with a burger and cup (of something liquid) from McDonalds in one hand, nine iron in the other and cigarette in his mouth.

Hit a dozen or so balls with one hand, never putting down the cup/burger combo, called it good and walked off to our first tee (shotgun start).

The alarm on his RV went off and you could hear it for miles, about as loud as fire engine siren system.

Super nice guy but a walking shit show.

Tom Lehman was there one year as well. Swing like buttered grease.

Didn’t come across all that nice but I can’t really pass judgment based on our brief encounter.

John Daly is one of the few guys that are really, really good for the game. Let him drive his RV on the course for all I care.

My first weekend with my now wife, 24 years ago, was sitting on my couch watching Tom Lehman win the Colonial. That was her first golf experience and has somewhat followed Lean his whole career. Got to meet him last month at a tounament in Biloxi. As with you the encounter was very brief, but he happily took a picture with my wife and loved our story. Talked for a few more minutes about random stuff. Hanging around at senior tour events is so much more laid back though. Hell, admission was free.
Quote Reply
Re: John Daly gets to ride a Golf Cart (To play Golf) [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I didn’t mean to bag on Lehman but it came across that way, I suppose.

It was just a stark contrast between Lehman and Daly.

Daly was just super easy going and Lehman was very business like. Also after walking around 18 with Daly you get to know more.

He (Daly) certainly had some grumpy moments. When he hit wrong he hit waaayyy wrong.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, didn’t think you were bagging just as I really can’t vouch for the guy after this one brief meeting. However, it made my wife’s year so there’s that.

You nailed describing a businesslike demeanor. He was very “cordial” in an executive type way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Yeah, I didn’t mean to bag on Lehman but it came across that way, I suppose.

It was just a stark contrast between Lehman and Daly.

Daly was just super easy going and Lehman was very business like. Also after walking around 18 with Daly you get to know more.

He (Daly) certainly had some grumpy moments. When he hit wrong he hit waaayyy wrong.
I followed Daly a few times, obviously never inside the ropes, but as a gallery rat for the better part of 18. My take on him has always been that golf was a job he did because he was good at it, when things were going well he was content, when they weren't he'd rather be back at the RV pounding beers. When he got to drink he was very personable. He had/has so much talent, I'm not saying he didn't work at it, but that his successes were almost both accidental and inevitable. You can't have that much natural ability and not have it all fall into place a few times. If he had Tom Lehman's work ethic he'd have won 10 majors.
Quote Reply