Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Quote:
Tell me ST, how soft I am?

Well, It sounds like it was the Carmel Sprint Tri. So, to directly answer that question you are softer than my wife and 7 year old son who both did their first tri in those conditions. However, who cares if you don't think you will have fun then don't do it. It's not like it's your job or some moral requirement to race. I jumped in the race. Yes, it was cold and definitely not my best race but watching my son and wife crush it was totally worth the massive shrinkage that I'm hoping recovers at some point in the next week. ;)

I actually still feel guilty about it, it's the first time I end up no racing and I have never DNF! I dropped a meet once due to food poisoning.

I was trying to get validation from the internet what is probably the worst idea ever.

But an ear infection is what ended an already not very successful swim career years ago and I had 3 weeks of no exercise at all not long ago.

Probably a lesson to learn somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolute jello.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The AG race at ITU Edmonton was canceled under the Water/Air differential rule a few years ago. It was 5 C and raining and miserable as a Duathlon. That rule is plain dumb. The potential for hypothermia or a bad crash from frozen fingers. The water was like 20C and an Aquathon would have been far more enjoyable.

Makes me think a swim run suit for the whole race would be a good choice:)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Apr 29, 19 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your description sounded like the Purdue Boiler Sprint yesterday. It was cold waiting for the start, but the indoor swim got the body warmed up, left my swimskin on for the bike (along with putting socks and gloves on in transition) for a little wind protection...and then the sun came out during the ride and the temps got a little better. The cooler weather was great for the run.
I was a little skeptical about it at 7am, but it ended up being a nice morning to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post is too late but, don't feel bad. Like others said it may be worth going through it once in case you have some key race later on that you prepped a lot for.

I had miserable experience in the swim at the December 2015 HITS laquinta 70.3 but looking back it helped me push through hard moments to next 4 years.

I would not go out of my way to do a cold race though, its hard enough.
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a 70.3 a few years ago, start temp was 39F, it did eventually warm up to high 60s, but it was a cold, wet, miserable experience. A few people including one of the pros were hospitalised due to hypothermia. Most of us just wore trisuits, no towels, rode wet. I could have raced a bit colder, but not much colder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was at that Carmel Sprint Tri mentioned by others as well.

My 520 gave an air temp of 36.

Socks, toe covers, gloves and I was fine; it was a beautiful day to be wearing an Aerohead. Suffered a bit of a runny nose and at the end of the bike my pinkies got a bit numb. Kept the gloves on for the run and it was perfect.

I don't think it's a HTFU thing I think it's a mental positioning thing. Are you looking for an excuse not to race? The temperature is a great reason to take a pass. I love racing so if I'm signed up I'll find a way to execute my race on the day.

We also have a limited weather window to race here in Indiana so you really have to seize the opportunity and take the races when you can get them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next