Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Cold is too Cold for Racing?
Quote | Reply
About a month ago I register for a Local Sprint Tri that suppose to happen today ( actually right now )

Got everything prepared last night just to wake up this morning with a 38F temperature ( windchill of 32F - 14 mph winds). It is a indoor pool but had to ride outside, have been battling an ear infection since February - decide to pull the plug.

Tell me ST, how soft I am?
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not worth it. I’ve done many sprint tris in cold temp and I couldn’t feel my toes during the run most of the time. I got disoriented on the bike, I couldn’t take off my helmet because my fingers were frozen. I asked a guy next to me and he struggled too. I don’t have good memories and feel like I wasted money so I avoid ones in beginning and end of the year. I rather enjoy the event and have fun at the same time. No, you are not soft. You are smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have done the same thing
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Not worth it. I’ve done many sprint tris in cold temp and I couldn’t feel my toes during the run most of the time. I got disoriented on the bike, I couldn’t take off my helmet because my fingers were frozen. I asked a guy next to me and he struggled too. I don’t have good memories and feel like I wasted money so I avoid ones in beginning and end of the year. I rather enjoy the event and have fun at the same time. No, you are not soft. You are smart.

I was feeling guilty about it but yes - that wouldn't be fun at all and the risk of having another ear infection is very high.

Weather was great 2 days ago and I was very excited to race....but it not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prob a good move. Get clear of the ear infection BEFORE it keeps you out of the water for months on end and ruins the entire season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would've done the same, but I also think it depends on how much money and time I've invested into the race. Lake Placid 70.3 two years ago was cold, but I spent a lot on travel/lodging/race entry. I would've skipped a local sprint if it was that cold out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is supposed to be for fun. Seems like you made the best decision for you, I’d have done same.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not wear proper clothing and dry off?

FaKaspar wrote:
About a month ago I register for a Local Sprint Tri that suppose to happen today ( actually right now )

Got everything prepared last night just to wake up this morning with a 38F temperature ( windchill of 32F - 14 mph winds). It is a indoor pool but had to ride outside, have been battling an ear infection since February - decide to pull the plug.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like what? I did a race last November at 45f, and was cold AF. The bike wasn't bad, except my glasses kept fogging and so visibility sucked. But, when I got off in T2, my feet were numb and stayed that way for the entire run. Came in second, but it was not much fun.

7 degrees colder with more wind sounds awful.

Afterwards I asked what to wear... The only real advice I got was to find one of those old neoprene speed suits on ebay (tyr sayonara, etc). Still waiting for one to show up.
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you did race, I'd easily suggest a jacket or something to stop the wind (if you say that you didn't bring a jacket or weren't prepared, not much you can do at that point....check the weather and plan accordingly). Temps that low with wind on a cold body is going to do as much mental anguish as physical, so if you can cause less physical cold on you, your mentally in a better position.

That's not to say taking a DNS wasn't smart as it sounds like this was a B level "run of the mill" triathlons for the OP. But there are things you can do in instances to combat those conditions. IE- in an event that you did pay a bunch of money to do etc. or that it's your A race, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 28, 19 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about winter cycling gear?

Tom_hampton wrote:
Like what? I did a race last November at 45f, and was cold AF. The bike wasn't bad, except my glasses kept fogging and so visibility sucked. But, when I got off in T2, my feet were numb and stayed that way for the entire run. Came in second, but it was not much fun.

7 degrees colder with more wind sounds awful.

Afterwards I asked what to wear... The only real advice I got was to find one of those old neoprene speed suits on ebay (tyr sayonara, etc). Still waiting for one to show up.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you the pass due to the ear infection.

But otherwise, remember the old Russian proverb;
There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

As long as it wasn't cold enough for ice to form anywhere, then it's just a matter of "dressing for success"

I would DEFINITELY race a Duathlon in those conditions.
I actually have done so.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With an ear infection you made a good choice opting out. Otherwise, it’s just a matter of getting dry and having the right gear. Especially for a sprint. You wouldn’t be on the bike that long. If I was racing and hoping to podium, I’d throw on gloves and a warm-ish jacket or wind jacket and just cope with freezing for 30 minutes on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:

See Ironman Tahoe a few years back. My hardest experience was 55 degree water temp, pros early start, 32 degrees, dry, Bend Oregon, at elevation. First 14 miles on bike downhill. I wasn't even thinking clearly coming out of the swim. Eric Wynn was gracious enough to remind me that yes I need more layers and I was being delusional thinking I didn't need arm warmers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two guys recently raced to be the first on foot crossing Antartica. Both made it. The guy that one used to be a triathlete. You'll probably be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm gonna pass.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Two guys recently raced to be the first on foot crossing Antartica. Both made it. The guy that one used to be a triathlete. You'll probably be ok.

Colin O'Brandy - he was at the Joe Rogan's podcast a couple of weeks ago. The other one was a Navy Seal.

They were looking for a record, I was looking for a training day.

Don`t mind the challenge but all for a good reason !
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Prob a good move. Get clear of the ear infection BEFORE it keeps you out of the water for months on end and ruins the entire season

My last swim was about a month ago. Went to the doctor last week and she told me it is about 75% ok, asked me for one more week out of the water ( I never mention having a Sprint Tri on my plans! ) :)
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [pete459] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pete459 wrote:
I would've done the same, but I also think it depends on how much money and time I've invested into the race. Lake Placid 70.3 two years ago was cold, but I spent a lot on travel/lodging/race entry. I would've skipped a local sprint if it was that cold out.

exactly! In case it was my A race 12, 14 weeks of training leading up to it I would 100% power through and due it even with the ear infection going on. But just for a local Spring to get me motivated for the season an training my transitions is not worth it.

Gave the local Tri a "donation" and live goes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delicate souls are delicate souls :)
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I'll give you the pass due to the ear infection.

But otherwise, remember the old Russian proverb;
There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

As long as it wasn't cold enough for ice to form anywhere, then it's just a matter of "dressing for success"

Exactly. Though I've heard it's a Norwegian saying.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty soft. If it had been 75 and sunny today your "ear infection" wouldn't have kept you from racing.

I'm guessing you don't ride outside much when it is cold.
Quote Reply
Re: How Cold is too Cold for Racing? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
I'm guessing you don't ride outside much when it is cold.

Thank god for Zwift...it has made me soft as hell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Well, It sounds like it was the Carmel Sprint Tri. So, to directly answer that question you are softer than my wife and 7 year old son who both did their first tri in those conditions. However, who cares if you don't think you will have fun then don't do it. It's not like it's your job or some moral requirement to race. I jumped in the race. Yes, it was cold and definitely not my best race but watching my son and wife crush it was totally worth the massive shrinkage that I'm hoping recovers at some point in the next week. ;)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to try a do-it-yourself 70.3 with a pool swim this weekend. 44-46 degrees with a 15mph NW wind that dropped to about 7 later. It was cold--but really the only problem I had was when I stopped to refill my bottle at mile 15--then it was really, really hard to stop shivering and the next few miles were pretty slow until I warmed back up. That said, the discomfort on the bike was made up for the fact that it was perfect running weather for me.

38? That's too cold for me on a Tri bike.
Last edited by: Per: Apr 29, 19 12:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next