Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somehow this has to turn into an SNL skit with Will Farrell running to the internet and typing "how to buy steroids" and the next thing we see is the Feds knocking down the door with guns and full riot gear out to "bust" this guy.

I mean isn't this always the dumb shit ways that always gets you caught?

ETA: No one who's just taking your local doc prescribed steroids gets caught. Stories of people getting caught doesn't it always begin with "I knew a dealer...."

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 5, 19 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yeah, if what you've found is all the case, then I'm pretty well aligned with you on this specific case.

My only other comment on it is I noticed the NZ doping head mentioned his feeling that has no prosecutorial discretion. That's something Travis Tygart here in the U.S. has also complained about, in the context of a very old tracker racer who got busted recently. Might be worth considering giving them some discretion. Of course all discretion is subject to abuse, so you'd probably want some kind of independent review board to accept a decision to not "prosecute" someone.

i don't know how travis could argue that. george doped his entire career and couldn't race from thanksgiving to easter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't know how travis could argue that. george doped his entire career and couldn't race from thanksgiving to easter.

I get your point, but Hincapie received a sanction. Tygart's point, I think, was that he thinks he has no authority to not sanction at all. E.g. he was forced to give 90 y.o Carl Grove a loss of results and a "public warning" sanction when it seems that he wishes he had the option for a private warning and no official sanction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hincapie could be the most financially successful cyclist in history

https://www.therichest.com/...-hincapie-net-worth/
Quote Reply
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Yes and I should revise my statement towards Dan. Safesport is geared towards protecting the sport interaction between person in authority (coach/admin) and person not in authority (usually athlete). So that 40 year old club officer who’s “zipping up” female 34 year old club members is entering an likely sticky situation without proper consent/actions.

So it’s actually helpful for all parties to go through the learning as it then can “empower” the athlete when they don’t feel safe and atleast gives them info to know what to do in event something like MSU does occur.

All coaches have to take it every year. It’s a 2 year cycle with every 2 years they have to go through the entire program. The 1 year in between is a simple “recert” that is more review content.

my references to this are explained here. great program. very much needed. the expansion to all athletes as Covered Individuals will require more forethought than i've so far seen by safesport. perhaps USAT is already planning to take up the slack.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "skimmed" over it yesturday....Very good and detailed. I may need a day to digest what you are saying.

Good detailed article Dan!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Recreational sportsman orders steriods for weight loss, case now going to Court of Arbitration for Sport [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I "skimmed" over it yesturday....Very good and detailed. I may need a day to digest what you are saying.

Good detailed article Dan!

i probably overwrote it. but there was a lot i cut. i had it done about a week ago, and came back every day looking for more to cut. a lot of threads to that topic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that is hitting the nail on the head. Forget the golf player bit, that's a red herring in the story. (Also, note that in the hierarchy of good investigative journalism then Stuff is right up there with Fox News and the Daily Bugle, so perhaps assume that there is an 'alternate truth' above that reported in the OP link).

But for me these are my key points.
1) Surf Lifesaving is a massive sport in NZ - huge participation, lots of funding from multiple sources (sponsorship, public sector, public donations), is highly competitive and gets a lot of media coverage.
2) Surf Life Saving is the opposite to tri in terms of age balance. It's heavily skewed to youth with masters competition much smaller.
3) The 'club' aspect is critical. That's how the competitions work, with all individuals tied to clubs.
4) Funding of the kit, coaching, etc comes from being a member - the adults cross subsidise the youth. As mentioned previously that membership goes from competing in masters racing, doing coaching, being on duty for beach patrols, or just drinking in the bar.
5) Noting 1>4 then I think it very valid to remove someone who knowingly imports illegal PEDs from an environment where they will be surrounded by potentially impressionable athletes.

Now I am not saying he was buying to sell / share. Not at all. But as per the earlier post I'm replying to, then people see and that 'normalises' the process. Word gets around that this stuff can be bought / imported. And that does lead to greater temptation. Yes, we all know we could go online and order some PEDs. However, one of the many many reasons I wouldn't is that I would assume there is more likelihood in my card details being sold than me receiving anything safe to use. So if Person X is known to have ordered and got delivery of effective product then that potentially increases the desire for someone to copy.

In this case, that they have been kicked out of the club (which is a big thing in most NZ communities), then it acts as a significant deterrent.

Heck, I'm a MOP athlete and yet I won't try the (legal in NZ) Hemp Protein Cookies just on the off chance that I am bizarrely randomly tested and that cookie is somehow contaminated with something that suggests I'm a doper. That's my personal call. I'm not saying that should apply to all, but I am a strong supporter in applying rules consistently and rigidly in the case of drugs in sport (in fact in most cases).
Quote Reply

Prev Next