Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flammable vs inflammable.
Ya know, those mean the same thing!
I had to learn that one the hard way...twice.

Mr Ed
Triathlete With One Horsepower
...and no eyebrows
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Irregardless, I guess that's regardless x2.

That one always bothered me too. I know it's still not appropriate for a formal paper, but I recently found this out:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I was shocked. I was always sure it wasn't a real word at all. I still won't use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always smile to myself when people use pacific instead of specific, there's a whole ocean of difference! Top blood boiler at this moment? So Not! Why don't these people read a book to improve their vocabulary instead of watching another episode of Friends?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, Francois. You get a gold star by your name today (I just taped it onto my screen, so you'll have to take my word for it).
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, when is Superball anyway? Are the New England Idiots playing the final?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help myself. They just keep coming:

- Myriad. "The myriad triathletes arrived in Kona." It means a large number (noun), or both numerous and diverse (adjective). I think people confuse it with "bunch", maybe, as in "We need to make a bunch of changes" not "We need to make a myriad of changes."

- "One of the only" is a classic.
- My all time favorite: Then vs. than. "If you go fast than you're more likely to win." and "Five is more then two." Ugh.

Enough for now. I'm going swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, how about 'axe' and 'ask' ? Not really a spelling problem, more a pronunciation one, but still. As in 'axe me later, I'm busy now'. 'Well, I probably would, but the sight of all that blood.......'

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful there, buddy. The Patriots have a very respectable record this year, and they deserve a lot more respect than they have been getting. I'm not a huge football fan, but I've watched them stomp many teams that get a lot more respect than them, and do not warrant it. They work hard, and (I think) have fewer prima donnas(none) than any other team in pro sports. They really are a team.

I think Ty Law summed it up nicely when the media was comparing Manning's stats to Brady's before last week's game. He said, paraphrased: "It doesn't matter what your numbers look like if you're sitting at home watching the Super Bowl on your couch two weeks from now." Then they won the game.

I predict that the Pats will win, and that the half-time show will suck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"“Proactive" Explain this one. Is it being actively active?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my all time most annoying:

"i could care less", when what they really mean is "i couldn't care less". by saying 'i could care less' you're actually saying that you do, in fact, care.

writing 'then' when you mean 'than'

saying 'imply' when you mean 'infer'

saying "funny-looking" when you really mean 'sexy' (women in particular seem to make that mistake with some frequency about me.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
The internet has really helped me in this regard. With the proliferation of the 'net, we all come in to contact with others from different lands who speak different languages. Their sometimes poor attempts at English has taught me that the intent of the message is most important, not the grammar or spelling. (they ALL speak englsih better than I speak ANY other language)[/reply]

It seems you're implying that most of the grammar and usage mistakes on the Internet are made by non-native speakers of English. But dude, I don't think that's the case at all. Most of the crappy English I see on this board and all over the place these days is produced by native speakers, and the IRONY of that is they probably do not know any other language.

I'll throw in a pet peeve: "definately"
(Cerveloguy gets that one wrong nine out of 10 times, but he can stay here anyway;-)

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Another Lesson [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One error that makes me cringe is confusing the noun "breath" with the verb "breathe." I see this mistake repeatedly, not only in triathlon forums, but even in high-circulation publications like Triathlon magazine.

INCORRECT: "I breath every two strokes, so that I will have energy left to peddle a long time on the bike and loose some unwanted pounds."

CORRECT: ""I breathe every two strokes, so that I will have energy left to pedal a long time on the bike and lose some unwanted pounds."

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>It seems you're implying that most of the grammar and usage mistakes on the Internet are made by non-native speakers of English. But dude, I don't think that's the case at all. Most of the crappy English I see on this board and all over the place these days is produced by native speakers, and the IRONY of that is they probably do not know any other language.<<

So true. My pet peeve---spelling typos, especially from people who are supposedly highly educated. If you are going to write and post a novel, run it through the spell-checker. I often don't get to the actual content of a post if there are typos littered throughout.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another Lesson [Rob C in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]One error that makes me cringe is confusing the noun "breath" with the verb "breathe." I see this mistake repeatedly, not only in triathlon forums, but even in high-circulation publications like Triathlon magazine. [/reply]

I'm not ranting against your post or inferring that you hold Triathlete up to lofty standards, just thinking out loud that simply the thought of Triathlete mag even considered as a purveyor of good writing, and especially basic usage, grammar and proofreading, is like, gag me with a spoon laughable.

I once fired a few rounds at the former editor-in-chief regarding the shoddy spelling, grammar, usage, and proofreading (ever see the results columns of races where two athletes are listed with exactly the same splits but total times that differ by a good margin?) in that rag, and got some pretty self-righteous, smug, and presumptuous drivel back.

But what can you expect from a publication that after all these years can't remember that the fast German bloke's name is "Normann" Stadler?

[editor's note: I nestled a comma against the word it belonged next to]

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Last edited by: itchyghost: Jan 28, 04 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly grammer, but I get quite of few "sign your John Henry here". John Hancock is the name your looking for, John Henry was a black hammer swinger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
complement vs compliment...
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Artic? Rather than ArCtic. Pisses me off every time.

OR my wifes incessant use of aparent (as in one parent?) when she really means apparent (as in obvious). Sure is lucky she is an amazing cook, and, and, and..... :-)

TriDork

how did reading the TV Guide become most peoples only form of reading?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true. My pet peeve---spelling typos, especially from people who are supposedly highly educated. If you are going to write and post a novel, run it through the spell-checker.

*Gulp*. Oops. I will make the effort, and I will add a table of contents also.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People who stop their bike by using their "break".....hmmm.

Also, 'effect' and 'affect' are regularly botched.

Non-devotees who say Star TRACK instead of Star TREK make me cringe. Oh my! If I could only slay them with my Batleth.

-Ride on
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [ija.z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes me cringe when I hear somebody talking about a 'mute' point when they mean moot point.

I got a chuckle just last night hearing sportscaster talk about the climatic point in a game. Unless he was talking about a rain delay, I assume he meant the climactic point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, TriDork. Everyone knows its [sic] "he done good"! :)

[reply]

well/good (as in "he did good")

TriDork [/reply]
Quote Reply

Prev Next