Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day
Quote | Reply
Ok, I know I'm the brainiac who FUBAR'd "impeach," thank you very much, but I want to hopefully correct a very common error I see quite often regarding two of the three kinds of "your". So, buckle up, here we go!

The three forms of "your"

1) "Your" to indicate possession. "Hey, is that your bike with the new 404's?"

2) "You're" contraction of "You are" to indicate action. "You're the fastest cyclist in town."

3) "Yore" a story, often with little validity, used during testosterone fests to establish alpha or impress the opposite sex. Often opens with "No shit, there I was..." Example: "No shit, there I was, on-sighting a 5.13c, eighty feet of run out, full layback and I couldn't find a hold..."

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your funny. I hope yore planning on posting more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good stuff, but I thought "yore" meant long ago, distant past; not a story itself, but often the stories you refer to are from days of yore.

Future lesson suggestions:
* "they're" vs. "there" vs. "their"
* "did you just apostrophe that plural?"
* "when is it ok to verb a noun?"
* "affect" vs. "effect"
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theirs nuthing wirse than bad grammer, sum more ideas for lessins:

Loose v. Lose

Advice v. Advise

desert v. dessert

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Good stuff, but I thought "yore" meant long ago, distant past; not a story itself, but often the stories you refer to are from days of yore. >>

You're correct-darn it. So now my record stands at 0 and 2 for the English language. And people wonder why I chose accounting as my major.

<<Future lesson suggestions:
* "they're" vs. "there" vs. "their"
* "did you just apostrophe that plural?"
* "when is it ok to verb a noun?"
* "affect" vs. "effect" >>

Yeah, I think I'll be boning up on grammar before attempting to dish out the schoolin' again.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>Loose v. Lose

That has to be the odds-on favorite contender for Slowtwitch forum all-time hall of fame misuse champion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yewd half too bee a reel looser too get that won rong.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, that was like a thirty foot, 5.7 boulder problem I could have walked up in sandals. 5.13c my ass.

You've been talking to those folks from Smith Rock again, haven't you?

------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: jmorrissey: Jan 27, 04 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My top 5 list...

Its vs. It's
Their vs. There vs. They're
Advice vs. Advise
To vs. Too
Insure vs. Ensure

"Its not there job to offer advise on triathlon, to. They just have to insure that you get to the starting line."

ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hry Timby, one of my favourites is pedals/peddles!

We rely on pedals as the interface between shoes and chainsets. If we peddle something we are selling it.

Poor grammar just distracts from the subject matter, I guess you also find typos an irritating distraction when reading. If so try and get a book called "Eats shoots and leaves" it's a blast.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
My pet-peeve [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The use of the word Ironic or Irony when what the writer means is coincidence

I.E.

Irony
  1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
  2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

Coincidence
  1. The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.
  2. A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that was funny! I damn near fell out of my chair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm as anal about grammar as just about any other anal person out there. I am getting better at not correcting people though. I am not perfect by any stretch and accept when I make a mistake and endeavour to learn from it.

The internet has really helped me in this regard. With the proliferation of the 'net, we all come in to contact with others from different lands who speak different languages. Their sometimes poor attempts at English has taught me that the intent of the message is most important, not the grammar or spelling. (they ALL speak englsih better than I speak ANY other language)

I do expect them (and all of us) to take pride in our ideas, their validity and do our utmost to improve ourselves and accurately convey our ideas through correct speach and writing.

Now don't go nuts correcting the mistakes in this reply. I think you all probably get my valid idea well enough. :-) Thanks.

Oh yeah, my pet peeves?

well/good (as in "he did good")

me/I (as in "me and Bob went to a race) (hint; should be "Bob and I went to a race")

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< I guess you also find typos an irritating distraction when reading. If so try and get a book called "Eats shoots and leaves" it's a blast.>>

Er, um, I could think of several subject matters that would go along with that tittle. In fact, I might get a t-shirt printed up with that on front. On the back it would say "I'm a vegetarian"

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<My top 5 list...

Its vs. It's>>

Ain't touchin' that one yet.

<<Their vs. There vs. They're >>

All right, here goes an attempt to put one in the win column. If I blow this, well...

"There goes the Postal squad. Look how they're protecting their leader."

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ignorant" is another one of my all-time favorites - Like when some dumbass calls another person ignorant when they mean stupid/dumb. I'm a huge fan of irony and this one makes my day.
Last edited by: jhendric: Jan 27, 04 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pet peeve: when someone says "you have two choices" when what he really means is you face one choice containing two options.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my fave: strategery
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irregardless, I guess that's regardless x2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really considered "internet grammar" to be high priority, but some of you guys have to be going nuts with some of this stuff.

I have no choice but to type a response using M'soft word and then C&P it into the response box after using spellcheck. Otherwise, a group of you are going to be at my door with angry faces on .... "Stop the typos. Stop the typos. Thank You!"

I'm surprised no said ... using the word "grammer" (I know I've spelled it like that before).

The only thing that bothers me is when students write a formal paper and it reads like a note they've written a note to a friend. Sometimes it's easy to see why a well-written introduction letter by itself can get you a job.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here's a good site to use online if you are at a loss for words or forget some of these helpful grammatical hints: (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

(I was going to say if you are an ignorant ... but then I remembered!)

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyways

ITS ANYWAY...THERE IS NO "S"

i cannot stand people who say anyways....:P

so, anyway...;) how about peeple whu spel lik dis...?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Grammar Lesson of the Day [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When people say expecially instead of especially. That's a good one. God, I can't help myself:

- Accept vs. except
- Data - it's plural, as in "These data show..." not "This data shows..."
- Towards. Not a word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about people who spell and/or pronounce that elixir of life

eXpresso

There's no friggin' "X" in espresso!

:-)

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, but "this datum shows" is fine :-)
that's only for those unlucky people (like me) who were forced to take latin (as if I was going to meet some old roman in the street and have a chat!)

I am quite surprised by the mistakes I see here, in class from my students (but the same was true in France as well).

But as this is a tri forum, what's really important is that everyone can spell properly things like:
Campagnolo
Paris-Roubaix
Alpe d'Huez
Embrun
Hinault, Anquetil, Merckx, Indurain...

Heck, I never write about the Superball do I ? :-))
Quote Reply

Prev Next