Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Which one did you take, and were you happy with the process?

Not sure which one TulkasTri took, but Ed Baker took the Precision Hydration Sweat Test, you can find out more here: https://www.precisionhydration.com/pages/sweat-testing

And find a test center here: https://www.precisionhydration.com/pages/book-a-sweat-test

**I work for & am sponsored by PH**

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met Ed 5 days ago. I got roped into watching my 3 month old niece while my brother got his hair cut. So there I am, sitting in the waiting area of a barbershop with my niece, and who walks in but Ed Baker himself. I was nervous as shit, and just kept looking at him as he was sitting there with his phone and waited, but was too scared to say anything to him. Then my niece started crying, and I’m trying to quiet her down because I didn’t want her to bother Ed, but she wouldn’t stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asked what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So Ed put down his phone, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there in the middle of the barbershop. Chill guy, really nice about it.
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [TCMiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the funniest thing I've read all day!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's one of the amateurs Matt Dixon has tapped as "special" and gets to go to PP Pro camps. Think he's low key trying to go pro but doesn't want to say it too loud. Regardless, a talented and well-resourced athlete who has good genes

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Vicious15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, now all the show-boaters have moved to Instagram, it's become easy to avoid the white noise.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont want to join all the drama/jealousy. But i remember he smashed his AG and then DNF Kona. What is his plan this year, Kona again or?
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he plan to buy WTC and :
1) change name to "Ed Baker World Triathlon Company"
2) move Kona to San Francisco and call it "the great Ed Baker World Championship of Ed Baker"
3) change qualify rules to be the only pro qualified, then win

Then he can be candidate for president....

arf...arf...arf... where is my medic against paranoia..... (and this damn pink button disappeared again.... probably commies again)
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You severely underate my ability to not care about complete strangers!
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4) brag about crowd size

Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
2) move Kona to San Francisco and call it "the great Ed Baker World Championship of Ed Baker"

arf...arf...arf... where is my medic against paranoia..... (and this damn pink button disappeared again.... probably commies again)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

Not sure which one TulkasTri took, but Ed Baker took the Precision Hydration Sweat Test, you can find out more here: https://www.precisionhydration.com/pages/sweat-testing

And find a test center here: https://www.precisionhydration.com/pages/book-a-sweat-test

There's a location near me and I had no idea it was affordable. Is one test enough or does sweat concentration vary with diet, time of day (pre/post workout), hydration, time of year (acclimated to summer vs winter), etc?
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5) growth a moustache in order to look like Lionel Sanders, and be elected President of Canada also

trailerhouse wrote:
4) brag about crowd size

Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note, I got curious and looked up this dude.

What's the deal with a VP of a major company having the time from before/during leaving Uber around mid 2017 to Kona in 2018?

I thought you had to "work hard" to be VP's of big companies? Who's got time for getting to Kona in triathlon and being a VP.

Same thing with Trump at one point at least carrying a single digit golf handicap. That takes a solid time investment aside from your prior dealings in junk bonds and bankruptcy.
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

There's a location near me and I had no idea it was affordable. Is one test enough or does sweat concentration vary with diet, time of day (pre/post workout), hydration, time of year (acclimated to summer vs winter), etc?

Very good question, that is something that is debated and there are two different "camps" on. Those that believe diet and salt intake can have a big influence on your sodium concentration, and then those that believe it is more genetic and has minimal variance (+/- 100mg/L). I am not the best "science" person to discuss this with, and to my knowledge there is not any publications/research that discusses it, I could be wrong though. From what I have heard and the data we have from over the years of testing, PH is on the belief of the later side of things, one test and typically no reason to test again. Our customer service rep is always available and can be reached at hello at precisionhydration.com if you have any further questions or want a more scientific response/answer to any of your questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

Sweat testing like this is all marketing. replacing exactly what you measure as your output does not have peer reviewed research to back it up. A few points to consider?

A typical diet is already high in sodium.

The recommended daily amount is 2300mg. I can understand endurance athletes needing a little more but precision continue to push tablets as high as 1500mg.

If I saw correctly they told Ed to take 1000mg per hour. So if he does a 6 hour training day and he already eats well about 2300mg in his normal food (and actually probable much more considering his intake amount of calories in a day). How on earth can 8300mg of sodium be good?

Give this research a scan and make your own opinion, not what a salt company is pushing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4306770/
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article.

But moderately related to LD tri :

for 2h effort, sweating 1l per hour, 60% heart reserve, I barely take anything, and it is not a problem. The article is right. For Water, CH or Sodium, you are in the limits your body can handle without issues, without being supplemented. Take nothing, it is OK.

for 6h effort, sweating more than 1L per hour, this is very different. You cross the limits (water, CH, Sodium, ....) before 6h and need to drink /eat something, generally. I'm happy with PH1500, as I'm a salty sweater. When not supplemented at the right level, I was getting into problems.

I guess the objective of the article is to prove that for most endurance athlete in relatively short training (2h, far from 100% effort), sodium supplementing is not that necessary. This is right IMO.
Under 1h30 I barely take anything during training.
For 2h, some water + a gel (just in case), or PH1500 half or quarter dosed if really hot.

But for 4h, 6h, 8h, 10h, this is different.

I lose more than 1g of sodium per litre, more than a liter per hour when hot.... do the math.

DISCLAIMER : not sponsored by anyone (except myself), and more happy with PH 1500 than with my previous product. Not saying it is the best product, but sure I'm happy to have the right portion of sodium for me for LONG rides/run. I perceive the difference above 4h, or 3h when really hot and pushing.
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Feb 23, 19 1:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add, this article only talks about thermoregulation, cardiovascular drift, or physical performance for that 2 hour period which doesn't tell me much about whether I will cramp in 8 hours.

I also don't think that article is a good proxy for Ironman racing. Training for 2 hours, sure. I don't supplement salt for 2 hour workouts. But if you are sweating 1,000 mg per hour for 14 hour then you will surely need more than your diet provides (you're not eating your regular diet on race day anyway)
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had thankfully totally forgot about him till this thread came back up. I dont follow him never been quite sure what to make of him. He did fall apart in Kona like a mere mortal.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

LOL this made my morning, thank you.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Stafford Brown [ In reply to ]
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stafford Brown wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

Sweat testing like this is all marketing. replacing exactly what you measure as your output does not have peer reviewed research to back it up. A few points to consider?

A typical diet is already high in sodium.

The recommended daily amount is 2300mg. I can understand endurance athletes needing a little more but precision continue to push tablets as high as 1500mg.

If I saw correctly they told Ed to take 1000mg per hour. So if he does a 6 hour training day and he already eats well about 2300mg in his normal food (and actually probable much more considering his intake amount of calories in a day). How on earth can 8300mg of sodium be good?

Give this research a scan and make your own opinion, not what a salt company is pushing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4306770/

Best advice ever.

Yes thanks to the Gatorade marketing department and supplement industry scare tactics every high school age kid on planet earth thinks they need to guzzle 32oz of gatorade after ---- shooting baskets for 30 minutes?

Frank in accounting gobbles a protein packed "recovery bar" after a 15min walk around the block?

Ever notice the only ones pushing this stuff and funding the studies "studies" are the people selling it? The worst thing is our bodies get so accustom to it we can't run 3 miles without guzzling sugar salty hydrating drinks that it's all our body wants every 20 minutes because we've trained our bodies to eat like pac-man since birth.

If you try backing off some of this stuff you'd be surprised. It's been 7 years since I've guzzled a quality "40gram doucheprotein shake" within 90 minutes to "prevent me from cannibalizing my own muscle tissue" "Oh and by the way if your not using douche brand isohydrolizedmicrosourced protien did you know your not even using %0.00000001 of your protein!" Better buy an 8 months supply now!

7 years later my muscles are the same damn size and strength------- who knew........
It also takes a super long training session for me to get that low blood sugar(bonk) sensation. Compared to when I was a slave to Gatorade.

***this public service announcement was partially funded by the gatorade science institute***
***most recent hydration study used 3 random people from marketing, duration of most recent study with test subjects was 45minutes***

LOL.

Never fails to crack me up - you see multiple water stops for a freaking 5k!!!
Or people out running (term used loosely) while loaded down w/ hydration vest and/or hip utility belt that would make Batman jealous.
Or people punting on a ride (which would only have been for an hour or 2 anyway) because they forgot their water bottles. WTF??

I routinely run up to 1.5 hours (or a little more) with ZERO. NADA. NOTHING.
No water, no gels, no electrolytes.

Ditto for biking, have done rides of up to 2 hours with absolutely nothing.
Or at most, a single small water bottle (which I often forget to even drink from).

I have a packet of Infinit I bought several years ago, and it's still unopened, since I rarely ride far enough (2.5+ hours) where I feel like I need anything like that.
Still working on the last bit of the prior packet from like 5 years ago.

Advertising works. Marketing works.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could wish him well, he has done well for himself.
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your Ironman PR? Full or half, doesn't matter
Quote Reply
Re: That Ed Baker guy....the former Uber VP or whatever... [TCMiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TCMiles wrote:
I met Ed 5 days ago. I got roped into watching my 3 month old niece while my brother got his hair cut. So there I am, sitting in the waiting area of a barbershop with my niece, and who walks in but Ed Baker himself. I was nervous as shit, and just kept looking at him as he was sitting there with his phone and waited, but was too scared to say anything to him. Then my niece started crying, and I’m trying to quiet her down because I didn’t want her to bother Ed, but she wouldn’t stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asked what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So Ed put down his phone, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there in the middle of the barbershop. Chill guy, really nice about it.

Reminds me of when I was at the car dealer, looking at new BMWs. My wife wants a car, but I want an SUV because the SUVs are getting all the best tech upgrades since they are the hottest sellers. So my wife and I are arguing over which one we should get when in walks Ed Baker himself! I wouldn't have recognized him it it wasn't for the youtube videos I've been watching while on the treadmill. My wife tries to keep arguing with me, but now I'm trying to tell her who this guy is; we can argue later. She doesn't care and keeps arguing, until we notice that Ed Baker guy walks over to a new black BMW X7, unzips his pants, and then starts pissing on the right rear wheel! But please do not let this extensive clarification distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
Quote Reply

Prev Next