Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
IM annoy me. I'd much rather do a good independent race any day.

You and 36 others at many indies.
That seems to rather depend on where you are. I'm in Europe. There are plenty good non-IM offerings here.
In fact even calling them independent seems silly, I only used that terminology because it's the norm on ST. Independent from who? That only makes sense when someone has a monopoly, and thankfully outside the US that seems to be less the case.
Regardless, I don't need a field of 2500 to feel like the race is worthwhile. I've done some terrific races with fields ranging from 100 to maybe 1500. Size is not the defining factor. If size is important for you, that's your business ;)
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
IM annoy me. I'd much rather do a good independent race any day.

You and 36 others at many indies.

That seems to rather depend on where you are. I'm in Europe. There are plenty good non-IM offerings here.
In fact even calling them independent seems silly, I only used that terminology because it's the norm on ST. Independent from who? That only makes sense when someone has a monopoly, and thankfully outside the US that seems to be less the case.
Regardless, I don't need a field of 2500 to feel like the race is worthwhile. I've done some terrific races with fields ranging from 100 to maybe 1500. Size is not the defining factor. If size is important for you, that's your business ;)

All points well taken! Europe has a multitude of non-IM offerings from Challenge and many other production companies. In the U.S., Ironman is in a near monopoly position. So here, independent, in the context of long course triathlon, simply means not Ironman. As to field size, I don't need 2500 either, nor do I prefer 2500+. But I don't want less than 100 with virtually zero competition in my age group. As a result, when I do select an indie race, it is typically just for the training value. For example, I will be doing an indie half next month, and there are only 4 people in my age group - including me. After that I have one branded 70.3 and two branded fulls. If you are just out to finish, then sure, size doesn't matter. But if you have a competitive bone in your body, then it most certainly does, especially in the 60+ age groups.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
But very few Ironman races are still selling out. So if I was ironman I’d be begging people to come whenever they could make it. Even Saturday. But I guess not every company wants to succeed.

That's right! Remember that year when we were all outraged with Active's Processing Fee that got tacked on to the end of event registration, and decided to boycott Ironman en masse? That showed them!
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time imaging how OP cannot get the time off? Simply put he should let his assistant know that he should let his coworkers and clients know that he is unavailable so he can exercise. My last Ironman I flew my butler out with my P5X 3 days prior so he could provide a report on the current road and water conditions as well as putting some fresh wax on my chain. Apologies for being so direct, I am about to start an interval on my Peloton bike while looking over the Manhattan Skyline.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
Actuallly you’re incorrect. In my physician group we solidify our vacation calendar 12 months ahead. So my 2019 vacation is already set.

You are probably in the .000001 percent of employees in the world that have to schedule their vacation a year in advance. If you have to schedule that early then you’re probably planning to do races a year in advance and you already know you have to be early so there is still no excuse.

Nope I am in the same boat and cant get off work Friday. I want to do the race but cant make a Friday packet pu. I am just planning on going to Louisville. I email ironman and zero response.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you explain why you can’t drive 3-4 hours Thur and 8-9 hours Friday? People do this all the time for vacations etc if they are driving.

I find it unnecessary rule but I also have to laugh that you guys can’t make a 5pm deadline when your likely getting off work 22-24 hours before the deadline.

ETA: As I said I think it's a total money grab, but you guys have already acknowledged you have the Friday off- if you can't make a 5pm deadline with those cases your really just are not trying.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 19, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you considered taking a sick day, or a self care day?
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s a physician at a demanding practice. I’m sure he’s making really good money and can easily afford to fly. If that doesn’t work then breaking the drive up over two days is another simple solution. Some suggested he ask a co-worker to cover. Well, that probably doesn’t work if they’re making a specific appointment with that doctor. He probably manages/owns the practice and is so money driven that none of these logical solutions will work for him. Fact is there is a way.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
What flight that is 1:15 but would be a 12 hour drive? That is one fast plane?!?

Minneapolis to Chicago is a 90 minute flight in the air, 6 hour drive. Add the drive to the airport, parking your car, being two hours early so you can get through security. Then, the wait to get off the plane/wait for your luggage as no bike box works as a carry on.... Then some time to get your rental car and to your hotel or the race site. That is if there is a simple point to point flight. If the race is not near a big city airport and connections are needed, well driving is all of a sudden a much quicker and less stressful option.

Driving through mountains is not fast, but flying over them is.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that. I didn't even add in the time it takes to get to the airport, park, get through security, then got off the plane, get your bags, get a rental vehicle and the obvious drive to the race location. All of that assumes your airport links directly to the airport that is clearly right next to the race site so you don't have a significant drive when you land. Seriously, show me a 1:15 flight that is an actual 12 hour drive that isn't flying over a body of water. I would really like to see where this is out of curiosity.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
I get that. I didn't even add in the time it takes to get to the airport, park, get through security, then got off the plane, get your bags, get a rental vehicle and the obvious drive to the race location. All of that assumes your airport links directly to the airport that is clearly right next to the race site so you don't have a significant drive when you land. Seriously, show me a 1:15 flight that is an actual 12 hour drive that isn't flying over a body of water. I would really like to see where this is out of curiosity.

Houston to Panama City, FL is 1:18 flight and almost an 11 hour drive.

Houston to Atlanta is 1:30 in the air and a 12 hour drive.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 19, 19 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, both are close. Need to factor in the flight time on return is a bit longer too... Can't just cherry pick the west to east routes (Panama City to Houston is 2:15 of flight time)...

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seattle to Santa Rosa is over 13 hours of driving, but a 1:55 flight time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver to Calgary is 11 hours and a 1:20 flight time. Denver to Houston is 16 hours but only a 2 hour flight. Regardless, the point still stands.

I don't know why anyone is trying to offer this guy solutions; he's made up his mind that he doesn't want to abide by the RD's/IM timetable. I hope he can get the time off to make it, but it's his problem now!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I google mapped it.
Estimated time is around 10 hours from home to destination airport.
Airport to race site is 1:20.
So, not quite 12 hours, but that's without stopping to fuel, eat, or pee.

Typical trip
Night before - pack bike boxes in 25min
5am - wake up, eat, pack car.
6:00 - leave for airport
6:25 - arrive at airport, catch shuttle to terminal
7:15 - clear security
8:30 - plane departs home airport
9:45 - plane lands at destination
10:10 - leave airport in rental vehicle (while luggage is unloading from plane, get rental car)
11:30 - arrive race site
25min to build bikes.

If we drove, it would be leave at 6am, and arrive at 6pm, or probably later, presuming no road delays, and quick meals.

By flying we have time to chillax, do a taper workout, have a nap, get a meal with friends.

We fly out the next evening after the race at 8pm, and are home in bed to get a good nights sleep to work for work on Monday.
If we drove we'd have to do at least one more night in hotel, then drive the entire next day.

With the cost of fuel, hotels, etc, it's about the same cost to fly as driving.
We are more rested and relaxed, and haven't added a huge amount of miles to the car.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do this shit one time and be done with them...Ironman is not a lifestyle and they are annoying....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow,
So Ironman should just bend the rules for you.
Besides the hotel thingy which I actually get. Ironman is a revenue generating event for the community.
The don't just close all of the roads, provide security etc. for nothing.

Early check in makes the process a lot easier.
3000 people doing check in, bike check etc in 1 day Umm Clusterfuck!!!!

Funny how people complain about Ironman Branded races as if someone is putting a gun to their head and said.
You have to sign up for this event, do all of the training, and spend all of the money.
Um no you don't.

BTW, I have yet to find another Brand that does it better. Wildflower back in the day may have been close.

Last point the reason the races are not selling out is there are more of them with larger numbers of entries.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Stafford Brown [ In reply to ]
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, he's not actually signed up for the race so he's not yet "doing an Ironman."

He posted a question and got a lot of frank comments that he basically didn't want to hear. As I said, the rule sucks but it's still the rule. He needs to either swap his schedule with someone else or pick another race that fits into his schedule. Kind of that simple. He came in with the attitude that IM should be happy to have him there and flex their schedule to cater to his.

Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
is a revenue generating event for the community.

Unfortunately, this is probably why USAC road racing is in the toilet. It's hard enough probably for organizers to find, let alone convince large areas to close roads for a bike race. Made infinitely harder by exploding suburban areas eating up what were once desolate country roads.

Especially when it's only 200 guys/gals at $30 a pop. Probably 2/3 of which are local enough to have driven in the morning instead of gotten a hotel, a dinner, etc....

Not to sidetrack, but I think if bike racing is to survive in the US it is going to have to piggyback on larger fondo events that DO generate something for the community.

It's a little different when a fondo has 1000+ people staying in hotels, eating food, visiting local breweries, and staying the weekend. Kind of like GFNS, Haute, etc...

I find it interesting also that people blow thousands on a bike and can't be bothered to pay enough to keep events happening, but, golfers blow less on golf clubs but can be convinced to plop down $65 a weekend to go play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
So I’m not currently registered for an IM but I’m looking at Wisconsin. I’m not seeing a way to get there by 5 pm Friday since it’s an 11 hour drive. Does this seriously mean I can’t do this race since I can’t be there by 5 pm on FRIDAY?? Seems kinda insane but wanted to know before registering. I’ve reached out to IM to get their. Just seems insane to require folks to spend 4-5 days of hotels for a race.

Dude, I’m reading this thread and it’s driving me nuts. I live in Wisconsin, 1.5 hrs from Madison.

I know people can pick up your bike for you. See if people can pick up your packet.

I’ll get it for you.

Done.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
So I’m not currently registered for an IM but I’m looking at Wisconsin. I’m not seeing a way to get there by 5 pm Friday since it’s an 11 hour drive. Does this seriously mean I can’t do this race since I can’t be there by 5 pm on FRIDAY?? Seems kinda insane but wanted to know before registering. I’ve reached out to IM to get their. Just seems insane to require folks to spend 4-5 days of hotels for a race.

Dude, I’m reading this thread and it’s driving me nuts. I live in Wisconsin, 1.5 hrs from Madison.

I know people can pick up your bike for you. See if people can pick up your packet.

I’ll get it for you.

Done.

Can't be done since you have to show ID and sign waivers and all that.

Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM Texas in 2016 and they let me pick up packet late. This was my first IM and I was used to 70.3 and picking up packet day before. I didn't read the rules until the week of and they helped me out bec I def couldn't get off work. That was a rookie mistake. If you really want to do it and you really can't take off, just use one of the number of excuses posted on this thread and I'm sure they will let you late register. Now it's just a moral dilemma, good luck!
Last edited by: Kmck27: Feb 23, 19 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For better or worse, the Friday check in is nothing more than a cash grab; they can pretend it's for logistical reasons, but, I've done registration for some really big bike events/races, and it's not complicated. This is especially evident given that some races will even let you check in by mail or the day before. This keep athletes at the venue longer to spend more money. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is part of the pitch that Ironman uses when trying to pitch a race to a local area. It practically guarantees more hotel rooms sold and meals purchased at local restaurants.
Last edited by: jhammond: Feb 23, 19 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does depend. I've run races, crewed and raced events of all size, and the registration the day before is often very handy for reducing the number of volunteers needed. Means you can do registration over a longer period, and so have less desks open, and also those same volunteers are able to do other things on race day. Whilst noting the expenses for athletes coming from further away, then the race itself just incurs more expenses in terms of security for the site at least.

Having said that I note that Ironman NZ has just emailed today, 6 days out from the race to say they have extended registration from the Thursday to the Friday so that you can register and rack on the day before the race. Their call I guess, and I suspect that's because they have such a high proportion of overseas athletes, even most NZ athletes are a flight away, and so this is something for the true locals that may make life easier.

Personally, I don't mind the day before registration / racking, means race morning is less stressed. Only thing I didn't like was when I only had one pair of orthotics for my shoes struggling with needing to drop my run bag the afternoon before.
Quote Reply

Prev Next