Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race?
Quote | Reply
So I’m not currently registered for an IM but I’m looking at Wisconsin. I’m not seeing a way to get there by 5 pm Friday since it’s an 11 hour drive. Does this seriously mean I can’t do this race since I can’t be there by 5 pm on FRIDAY?? Seems kinda insane but wanted to know before registering. I’ve reached out to IM to get their. Just seems insane to require folks to spend 4-5 days of hotels for a race.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Just seems insane to require folks to spend 4-5 days of hotels for a race.

You aren't worth anything to Ironman unless you spend 5 days at the race venue.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They reserve the right to give you a one time waiver to check in late. It's usually very limited hours during bike/bag drop the day before...you have just enough time to check in and hustle your bike/bags into place. This is where they let people check in late because of delayed/cancelled flights, etc...if they called the emergency line that is only open race week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
So I’m not currently registered for an IM but I’m looking at Wisconsin. I’m not seeing a way to get there by 5 pm Friday since it’s an 11 hour drive. Does this seriously mean I can’t do this race since I can’t be there by 5 pm on FRIDAY?? Seems kinda insane but wanted to know before registering. I’ve reached out to IM to get their. Just seems insane to require folks to spend 4-5 days of hotels for a race.

Most of the downtown hotels in Madison have 4 night minimums anyway. I would say just take an extra day and do it right, it's a big event, what's one more day? If it's important to you, find a way to be there on time, if not, don't do the race.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The old “just take another day off work if it’s important to you”. Not everyone has that luxury. Plus if you leave on Friday and drive 11 hours to a race and stay 4 days it’s not important to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really want to be in a car for 11 hours, 2 days before an Ironman?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’s just what “we” in the community have allowed IM to do. They fill races and it seems most of the time make communities good money too. So I think it’s just “price” of doing IM events these days.

I’d also say that asking/realizing the time table is what it is 6 months ahead of race doesn’t really give anyone an real excuse to not make the appropriate timeline.

Most would tell you to simply break up the drive and leave Thur night. Drive 3 or 4 hours after Thur workday. Get in hotel by 11pm and leaves 8 hour drive Friday. That’s easy enough to leave at 7am to have a 2 hour window. Or drive more Thur etc.

So you may not like it but all they’ll tell you in an email is that the timelines are specific and must be followed for the best quality and efficiency of the race to go off properly. Political customer service 101

It’s a total money grab but it’s sorta standard practice now so take it or leave it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got permission to do late pickup one year at IMFL, which is a Saturday race so pickup by Thursday afternoon. The general rule of thumb is that you better have a damn good reason for missing regular pickup. My reason was that I was supposed to be in court (and testify) through the end of the day on Thursday. So I had permission to meet up with someone Friday morning and get checked in. Trial was postponed a couple of months so I was able to make normal pickup and was at the venue on Wednesday.

I'm not trying to be a dick but the "I can't be there for normal packet pickup because I don't want to take an extra day off or adjust my travel plans" excuse is not a damn good reason. Trust me, just about nobody wants to be there two or three days early. That's the rules of the game though.

It doesn't hurt to ask but I've not heard of them granting permission without the aforementioned damn good reason. Hell, there's been people who had travel delays, didn't bother to communicate with Ironman about said delay, and showed up the day before the race and were basically told "tough shit." It's all about the communication. Best of luck.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 18, 19 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Thanks. The old “just take another day off work if it’s important to you”. Not everyone has that luxury. Plus if you leave on Friday and drive 11 hours to a race and stay 4 days it’s not important to me

Their race, their rules. You can certainly ask for special treatment if you want but if it were me I would be there on Friday or choose not to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that race not have the bib mailing option? For IMMD last year I was able to pay $40 or something like that and they mailed me my bib and bike/run bags and I was able to check in at bike drop off the day before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

I’d also say that asking/realizing the time table is what it is 6 months ahead of race doesn’t really give anyone an real excuse to not make the appropriate timeline.

That's going to be his dilemma. It's seven months away so his reasoning isn't going to work at all. He has no real pressing issue keeping him from making normal check-in. In my case mentioned above I was the lead investigator, part of the prosecution team, and under subpoena. The FBI, the AUSA, the defense, the accused, and the federal judge couldn't care less about my dumbass hobby, nor should they. Had Ironman told me no, I wouldn't have been able to race. Pure and simple.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 18, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and that's why he'll get some generic email that will basically tell him "sorry but that's the rules and this is why we have the rules and this is why they must be followed and oh by the way you ackowledge it when you sign up so we hope that clears up any issues and have a good day - IM" (and yes I know he hasn't signed up yet)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actuallly you’re incorrect. In my physician group we solidify our vacation calendar 12 months ahead. So my 2019 vacation is already set.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I don’t. But I can’t get Thursday off. Sooooo
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But very few Ironman races are still selling out. So if I was ironman I’d be begging people to come whenever they could make it. Even Saturday. But I guess not every company wants to succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Actuallly you’re incorrect. In my physician group we solidify our vacation calendar 12 months ahead. So my 2019 vacation is already set.

You are probably in the .000001 percent of employees in the world that have to schedule their vacation a year in advance. If you have to schedule that early then you’re probably planning to do races a year in advance and you already know you have to be early so there is still no excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But IM is successful and It’s successful enough it can make these rules. So whether it sells out completely or only 80% it can dictate the rules that you must follow or dont let you race. Right now you need them more than they need you.

So it sounds like it’s better you skip the race with the limitations/issues you have with the processs.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 18, 19 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you leave Thur after work and drive 3-4 hours and the rest of the trip on Friday leaving early enough to give yourself some wiggle room.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trust me. I don’t need ironman. I was just wondering about the process since it’s so odd.
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did plan a year ahead. I took the required time off for IM Chattanooga but something came up and I can’t do that race anymore. Just contemplating switching to Wisconsin. Trying to figure out if I can make it work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 As I said it’s part of the race package now. IM goes to cities and says they’ll bring in X revenue by having X hotels sold for X nights at X rate. They know they’ll get it cus ppl will sign up.

I’ll also say by them doing bike drop off a few days before or even day before it actually allows the race staff “breathing room” and not rushing and getting overwhelmed with that many people that race IM events morning of race etc. so it actually probaly helps the race flow better but yes to make them do races with 4-5 day hotel min is simply total money grab. But as I said “we” will fill the races so we sorta just take it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
But very few Ironman races are still selling out. So if I was ironman I’d be begging people to come whenever they could make it. Even Saturday. But I guess not every company wants to succeed.

You are being quite unreasonable. Just imagine if everyone who raced got to pick and choose where or when to pick up a packet; the RD's only have so many volunteers who have so much time to put the whole race weekend off. I'm sorry you can't make Friday packet pickup, but those are the rules if you want to race.

Good luck in your training. I hope you get to race and bring a better attitude along with with you to the start line.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 18, 19 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vote with your feet (and wallet).
Dont enter.

I fully get that many folks cannot take just any old time off. Esp folks like teachers or some military who's working schedule is outside of their control.

Find a non-IM event more accomodating to many normal people's needs and limitations. And preferably a good few hours closer to home if you can.
And save yourself the best part of a thousand dollars in the process (less fuel, less hotel nights, lower entry fee).

Otherwise IM keep getting away with it. And people keep letting them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can’t make it work, because you have a mental block to Ironman’s Mandatory Athlete Check In Policy. You might want to refer to the Athlete Guide for EVERY IM race. While the policies may suck for your situation, you could split up the drive over two days to make it work as suggested.

In addition, you need to realize that IM has policies and they don’t revolve around you. You have to adjust your schedule to fit IM, just like everybody else. If you don’t like that then don’t race. Just because you’re a damn doctor do you think you’re better than everyone? It comes across that way. The comment about not needing IM is laughable. Perhaps you should have posted in the Cry Like a Biatch Thread with your arrogance and entitlement.

triguy86 wrote:
I did plan a year ahead. I took the required time off for IM Chattanooga but something came up and I can’t do that race anymore. Just contemplating switching to Wisconsin. Trying to figure out if I can make it work.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Feb 18, 19 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: If you can’t make IM packet pickup by closing on Friday will they seriously not let you race? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Do you really want to be in a car for 11 hours, 2 days before an Ironman?

Orville and Wilbur Wright is commonly credited with inventing something in 1903.
Quote Reply

Prev Next