Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: KQ v BMI [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I guess the dream is over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:

Keep plugging at it. You never know what could transpire.

I think we just wanted to drop some reality on you that you're not really on the bubble and getting to 10:00 is also not on the bubble in M40-44 at the races you cited.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:

To keep it in perspective, you came within 18 minutes of KQ at IM Wisconsin this year since your AG ended up with 4 slots and it rolled to 5th place in your AG. Folks can tell you that there's no chance, but there are a lot of variables at play. Depending on how that race went for you there seems to be a lot of time to be taken out of your IM marathon.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...istribution_P6730329
Quote Reply
Re: KQ v BMI [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As previously mentioned, luck plays a factor. I know a guy lucky enough to KQ. His KQ time would have put him in 19th place the previous year. The hope remains;)
Quote Reply
Re: KQ v BMI [rossi46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rossi46 wrote:
robgray wrote:
Jesse K (QT2 systems) has a good rule of thumb for elite triathletes which is around a BMI of 21.

Is there consensus around that 21 number?

If so, I'd feel a lot better! I've kicked up my training to 2-a-days recently, and when I weighed myself for the first time in a while, I was shocked to see 155 lbs (70kg). My BF% has for sure gone down, and I think I've built muscle (I drink protein shakes daily and generally have a high protein diet), but I normally am around 165 lbs.

At 6' (183cm) that would put my BMI right at 21. So, if that number is considered a good reference, then I can put my mind at ease :)

Yes I think you are in the ideal zone! Jesse Kropelnicki based that on analysis of a reasonable sample size of professional athletes. I think if you can stay there naturally without starving yourself then you're in a good place.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: KQ v BMI [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob - would a better measure be what %body FAT you are at BMI? For example I know I am fastest at IM distance per my scale at 17-18% body fat and 21BMI...

Isn't possible to have a BMI with too low of body fat? Sure it depends on the individual .... I have big bones..... 5-9 165lbs.... best Kona races are at about 162lbs

Quote Reply
Re: KQ v BMI [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Rob - would a better measure be what %body FAT you are at BMI? For example I know I am fastest at IM distance per my scale at 17-18% body fat and 21BMI...

Isn't possible to have a BMI with too low of body fat? Sure it depends on the individual .... I have big bones..... 5-9 165lbs.... best Kona races are at about 162lbs

Yes I think both BMI and BF in combination is a good measure. I'd probably get an accurate measurement using something like a DXA scan to see what the actual BF% is, and then just use your scale to track changes. If you're still 17% on DXA and 21 BMI I think your performance would probably increase with some gain of lean muscle mass.

My non-scientific measure of race weight fat% is when I can barely make it through a 4k swim set without getting really cold. At that point my DXA scan is around 11%.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: KQ v BMI [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Thanks.
robgray wrote:
wacomme wrote:
BMI is a terrible metric. How much body fat do you have? Under 15%? Under 10%?

I would say yes I agree for most walks of life. But in triathlon I feel it's a useful metric to use, in conjunction with an accurate body fat measurement. The reason is that extra muscle can be detrimental to performance. So for example if I'm 10% bodyfat but my BMI is 23, I might need to lose some muscle too if I want to perform at my best. Jesse K (QT2 systems) has a good rule of thumb for elite triathletes which is around a BMI of 21. Using it in conjunction with a bodyfat measure helps to formulate a strategy of a) lose fat b) lose fat and muscle or c) gain muscle

A real life example would be an elite bodybuilder wanting to do tri. He would probably need to lose muscle even though his bodyfat is at an elite level.
Quote Reply

Prev Next