Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike gloves for below freezing temperatures [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how cold it gets where you live, look at some riding boots and get a size one or two bigger than what you normally wear.

I have Bontrager Old Man Winters which are good for 15-20 degrees. Below that I know people like the 45Nrth wolfhammers but wow you pay for em. If you want a cheaper option the Lake 404s work great too.

The reason why I say buy a size or two up is because you want a pocket of air in the boot that your body heat will warm up, rather than no breathing room.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Dec 6, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Bike gloves for below freezing temperatures [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Depending on how cold it gets where you live, look at some riding boots and get a size one or two bigger than what you normally wear.

I have Bontrager Old Man Winters which are good for 15-20 degrees. Below that I know people like the 45Nrth wolfhammers but wow you pay for em. If you want a cheaper option the Lake 404s work great too.

The reason why I say buy a size or two up is because you want a pocket of air in the boot that your body heat will warm up, rather than no breathing room.

I do think it's probable that my bike shoes can't accommodate the thicker socks and that a problem.

Sad thing is I live in Northern California so not even that cold, probably in the high 40s in the mornings -- the darn Reynaud's just screws everything up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, then maybe look at some 45 NRTH Japather, lake 145s, or some heavy shoe covers. They are made for milder winters.

I feel for ya, my wife has Reynauds and basically sticks to the treadmill once its below freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
7401southwick wrote:
I also have Raynauds so I feel for you.

This is going to sound very counterintuitive but give it a try. It’s cheap. Get some thin latex type gloves and put them on under your standard gloves and hand warmer packs. This will trap all the moisture from your hands getting out. I know people say you don’t want your hands to sweat inside your gloves as that makes your hands colder. For me I’ve found that is next to impossible to prevent so I go the other way and just trap it next to my skin and prevent the wind and cold from getting to it. At the end of the ride your hands will be sweating like a pig inside the latex but they will be considerably warmer. Easiest way to experiment with this is put a latex glove on one hand but not the other and go for a ride.

Raynauds sucks. I’ve had my hands go completely numb and white and the temperature was 50F.

https://www.uline.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also have Raynaud's and it's my feet that suffer on the bike in the winter. I have wool socks, I've duct taped the vents on the bottom of my shoes, use baggies, and have shoe covers and my feet still freeze in the winter. Anyone have suggestions for what else I can do?

Oddly enough my feet don't bother me running, only riding.

For cycling in below freezing temperatures, I have found that shoe covers with layered wool socks are not enough. (until recently I lived in Michigan and bike commuted through the winter - 1hr each way) The Lake MXZ-303 winter cycling boots are by far the best. I have tried other brands' winter footwear and none come close. They're expensive, but if you really want to ride outside in cold temperatures, they're the best way to go. When it drops below about 20 deg. (Fahrenheit) I use Grabber Toe Warmers (I put them on top of my toes because that's the most comfortable, but if it were really cold out I'd put them under the toes to insulate between my foot and the shoe/cleat interface).
I just saw that Lake does make an even more extreme version of them, the MXZ-400, but that's more than I'll ever need. I also haven't tried the 45NRTH Wolvhammer boots, but have read really positive reviews of them. With any of them, be sure to buy big enough to let your toes wiggle in big socks. Squeezing your feet is a good way to restrict blood flow and exacerbate the problem. The BOA closures that all of these use are good at keeping your feet secure while your toes still have room.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike gloves for below freezing temperatures [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift no gloves needed lol!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike gloves for below freezing temperatures [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From years of bike commuting through Michigan winters, I have developed a system for dealing with varying temperatures. I have found that layering with wicking and wool material is the most important. Fleece against the skin makes my hands sweat and get clammy so I always wear a knit liner glove if I'm wearing a shell glove with fleece interior. Below is what I do, although people's blood flow, etc. vary, so the numbers might be different for you.
  • 50-60 deg. F (10 to 15 deg. C) - Wool knit gloves. Hincapie Power Merino Gloves are my favs.
  • 38 - 50 deg. F (3 to10 deg. C) - Wool knit gloves with thinner wicking knit liner underneath.
  • 25 - 37 deg F (-4 to 3 deg C) - Knit liner or wool gloves with shell glove over them. I'm currently using Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier WxB as the shell gloves. They're good, but my favorites have been gloves made with WindTex material. It's windproof, but much more breathable than the Pearl Izumi Barrier WxB fabric so my hands don't get as sweaty and clammy. None of the major brands use it, as far as I can tell, but I just found these from Zimco that look a lot like the ones I loved before, using the same fabric. These look good too. They're both super affordable.
  • 0 - 26 deg F (-18 to -3 deg. C) - Knit liner under Pearl Izumi PRO AmFIB Lobster. My hands pretty much never get cold with these.

If I think there's a chance my hands will get sweaty and then get cold, I stick an extra knit liner glove in my jersey pocket. Then, once the liner I'm wearing is wet, I can trade them out and start with a dry liner.
I'm super interested to try the latex glove idea people here are discussing. I could see it working because the water is trapped under the latex and can't evaporate and make things cold or ruin the insulation properties of the gloves.
Last edited by: nilloc: Dec 6, 18 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in Toronto and I know exactly what you are saying. The temperature you want to ride in is not that bad. I have good success with the Giro Proof and the Rapha Winter Gloves, both can last at least a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Castelli's Estremo Gloves.
If your hands get cold wearing these, stay inside on the trainer.
You have dexterity for riding a bike, as they are cycling specific gloves.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize for jumping in late on this thread. I also have Raynaud's and it's absolutely brutal. I have been hypothermic in the middle of an Ironman before. It was so bad that I stopped at an aid station and got permission from the race director to sit in a volunteer's truck with the heater on full blast just to get the pain to stop and the blood flow back in my white fingers so they were functionable. It took 15 minutes.

Since then I have found this super amazing miracle product on Amazon. Ton's of people with Raynauds use it (see comments). I can't provide much advice on gloves but this lotion is an absolute lifesaver - even in frigid waters. The product will absorb well enough to last a long swim in cold waters and a long ride. Lather it everywhere you will need it but especially your hands, wrists, ankles, feet. My two warnings... 1. Don’t apply this until you are about to go outside because you will literally sweat your *ss off; 2) Even though this will make you feel incredibly warmer, you must still use gloves because you may not feel how cold it is but your skin will still get damaged if you don't protect it.

Last edited by: Trigirl357: Dec 6, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t own these or have used them, but they were just recommended to me to solve a cold fingers problem as well.

https://www.amazon.com/...ted+gloves&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....all this “cold hands” talk. I tried the taping of the hand warmers to the back of the hands today (30 degrees), and it worked well. Plus bought some Bar Mitts, old stock on eBay for $20 to try.
Last edited by: MKirk: Dec 8, 18 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Bike gloves for below freezing temperatures [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
An old boss of mine was an avid ice fisherman. He had picked up a trick from some old timer that he said makes it so that he can use thin gloves most days on the ice, no matter the temp: duct tape a handwarmer to the underside of your wrist - your blood vessels are closer to the surface there and the handwarmer warms the blood going into your hands keeping them warmer.

I have never tried it (my hands sweat too much as it is), but it may be worth trying in conjunction with some other tips people have here.

Good luck!
- Jeff

Conversely, I have heard that rubbing an ice cube on your wrists is the ultimate way to quickly cool down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lobster gloves and bar mitts. When it's really cold, throw some hand warmers in them.
https://smile.amazon.com/RockBros-Handlebar-Mittens-Mountain-Bicycle/dp/B07K8L5BSQ/ref=sr_1_143?srs=8452486011&ie=UTF8&qid=1544332321&sr=8-143
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077S51FVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I layer my hands like the rest of me.

First layer regular cycling mitts. Next layer is a plasticized garden glove that I can get at the dollar store for $1. Final layer is any of the other good winter gloves/mitts already mentioned.

It helps if your hands aren't overly big so you can go from a medium cycling glove to a large garden glove to an extra large winter glove.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next