Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Bob S wrote:
I'm really surprised how many advocate tights and long sleeves for a 5K at 30 degrees. I'm shorts and a singlet. Gloves and warmer hat. If it were 10K or above I would wear arm warmers. It would have to be around 20 or under for tights or long sleeve shirt. I'm from PA.

x2

though i would probably still dig out some arm warmers to go with that singlet for the 5k

If I did that I'd be shivering before the start and unable to run. I'd also be sick the next day.

I understand that some people don't require as much clothing as I do but the OP is from Florida and likely not used to any type of cold weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I understand that some people don't require as much clothing as I do but the OP is from Florida and likely not used to any type of cold weather.

(pink) sure he is... He said it gets to 50 in the winter....
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who escaped Blacksburg to go to Naples for many thanksgivings during grad school, I’m so perplexed by this, haha.

Your heart rate may be higher in colder temps, so that may be a limiting factor. For a hard effort even for a short run, I’d still take the old rule of dressing for 20 degrees warmer than ambient temps (unless stuff is falling from the sky or is particularly windy). Wear some toss clothes to the start line- there’s a YMCA store on north main st to shop at if you need some throwaway clothes. And go to the Rivermill for some good beer and bourbon after you’re done to warm up.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year i did a local 5k in colder weather than what im used to and wound up getting 1st in my age group. it was the first thing i EVER won so i was extremely excited.

that said...

morning of i ate something lite, did a 1 mile easy jog around my 'hood to warm the legs up. the race was about an hour after that. i wore just a running shirt and shorts like i normally do and ran it full blast. i was cold at the start and sweating at the finish line.

i wouldnt worry the first thing about wearing long sleeves or whatnot, the clothes will just wind up bothering you as you will heat up fast.

go out there and run it as fast and hard as you can. you will be faster in the cooler environment.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next