Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cold Weather 5k?
Quote | Reply
I am from southern Florida and train/run in the pleasant 85+ degree weather in summer and the absolutely brutal cold 60 degree weather in the winter. My Florida 5k is 20:30. (6'2 and 185 lbs and it is usually 80 degrees outside).

I am going up to Blacksburg VA for thanksgiving and they have a turkey trot I was going to run. However - it has the potential to be COLD. What can I expect going into this? I imagine my throat and lungs will burn. What do I wear? I've got running tights and such but I have only worn them on the couch haha I have seen pics of people in beenies and gloves?

Any idea on what 30 degrees as opposed to 80 degrees will do to my pace? Imagine overheating isn't going to be an issue.
Help a cold newbie out so I don't die of exposure haha
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be a bit slower due to a bit colder temps and added weight of the clothes.

My best advice would be to make sure your fully warmed up. Starting off running hard in 30 degrees and not properly warmed up, you will get injured. Once your done warming up, keep stretching, jumping around and keep those muscles loose until the gun goes off.

Your lungs and throat don't burn until temps get into the 20s.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I just sucked it up and ran in shorts and a shirt? I usually just run in shorts and no shirt.

Would I be too cold and potentially get injured or if I sucked the cold up and warmed up prior then I will be warm and good to go and not have the weight of the clothes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with getting a good warmup in before the gun. As long as you don't overdress you have the potential to really run fast. Heat buildup is the enemy of going fast.

If I had quick access to my car, I'd probably warmup with something covering my legs then just run in shorts for the race. I'd want a technical tee underneath a zip up technical long sleeve. Light gloves and something to cover your ears should take care of the rest of your outfit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Growing up in the northern states and used to cold, in mid 30's Id wear shorts, long sleeve, thin gloves & maybe a beanie for a race. If I was 18 I'd maybe pull off a t-shirt, but I have also have had my triceps cramp up because of the cold and that is a terrible feeling during a race. Your hands will go numb, which will not help you stay focused.

The big factor is the wind, if you get stuck in the wind and its 30 degrees, it will feel like 15 degrees and your pecker will hurt.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Oct 26, 18 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
I am from southern Florida and train/run in the pleasant 85+ degree weather in summer and the absolutely brutal cold 60 degree weather in the winter. My Florida 5k is 20:30. (6'2 and 185 lbs and it is usually 80 degrees outside).

I am going up to Blacksburg VA for thanksgiving and they have a turkey trot I was going to run. However - it has the potential to be COLD. What can I expect going into this? I imagine my throat and lungs will burn. What do I wear? I've got running tights and such but I have only worn them on the couch haha I have seen pics of people in beenies and gloves?

Any idea on what 30 degrees as opposed to 80 degrees will do to my pace? Imagine overheating isn't going to be an issue.

That's some funny shite, right there! 30s is NOT that cold. I live in Dallas---so we have solid heat during the summer, and get decently cold in the winter. I run in regular shorts, and MAYBE a long sleeve shirt down to around 32 or so. I usually get warm about 20 minutes in and pull the sleeves up. I don't normally put on the tights until it gets into the 20s.

If it's below freezing, I might consider tights, to keep the knees warm.

As was mentioned the biggest thing is to get warmed up, and STAY warm and supple until the gun goes off. So, I'd dress warm pre-race and get nice and warmed up. Then stay dressed up until lineup, when you strip down and run like hell. Once the gun goes off, you won't have any trouble STAYING warm, if you are already warmed up. But if you are cold soaked, you will be very stiff at the start and likely you will pull something before the end.

I'd expect your race time to be FASTER, not slower. You should get a solid boost from the heat acclimation effects of your hot weather training...and short term switch to cold weather. Expect your HR to be low for your normal pace. ALL of your cardiac output will be going to your legs, none for "cooling". If you are in solid run shape, you have a decent shot at a 5K PR---given some race prep between now and then.

If you are planning on running this for time...then I'd suggest moving a couple of runs per week indoors to a treadmill with a big fan, and work at increasing pace at race intensity. When I moved from outdoor texas heat, to indoor TM my easy pace jumped by 75 s/mile. My 5k pace was more than 2:30 per mile faster. I needed a few weeks to mechanically adjust to running that fast.

ETA: Oh yeah...another vote for gloves. Cold fingers takes all the fun out of a run. I like fleece gloves in that temp range. Below freezing I switch to ski gloves in training. But, for a 5k I'd probably stick with the fleece. Also, another vote for "Wind SUCKS!"
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 26, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was gonna say...when I was in the Army when we ran and it was 30+ we took our pants off...although, I think it would have been smarter to take the jackets off and keep the pants on IMO.

Tights are fine, but not cold weather ones. Some light ones.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't forget to HTFU
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Oct 26, 18 9:27
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If wearing tights as a man...always wear shorts too... :P

Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

That's some funny shite, right there! 30s is NOT that cold. I live in Dallas---so we have solid heat during the summer, and get decently cold in the winter. I run in regular shorts, and MAYBE a long sleeve shirt down to around 32 or so. I usually get warm about 20 minutes in and pull the sleeves up. I don't normally put on the tights until it gets into the 20s.

If it's below freezing, I might consider tights, to keep the knees warm.

As was mentioned the biggest thing is to get warmed up, and STAY warm and supple until the gun goes off. So, I'd dress warm pre-race and get nice and warmed up. Then stay dressed up until lineup, when you strip down and run like hell. Once the gun goes off, you won't have any trouble STAYING warm, if you are already warmed up. But if you are cold soaked, you will be very stiff at the start and likely you will pull something before the end.

I'd expect your race time to be FASTER, not slower. You should get a solid boost from the heat acclimation effects of your hot weather training...and short term switch to cold weather. Expect your HR to be low for your normal pace. ALL of your cardiac output will be going to your legs, none for "cooling". If you are in solid run shape, you have a decent shot at a 5K PR---given some race prep between now and then.

If you are planning on running this for time...then I'd suggest moving a couple of runs per week indoors to a treadmill with a big fan, and work at increasing pace at race intensity. When I moved from outdoor texas heat, to indoor TM my easy pace jumped by 75 s/mile. My 5k pace was more than 2:30 per mile faster. I needed a few weeks to mechanically adjust to running that fast.

ETA: Oh yeah...another vote for gloves. Cold fingers takes all the fun out of a run. I like fleece gloves in that temp range. Below freezing I switch to ski gloves in training. But, for a 5k I'd probably stick with the fleece. Also, another vote for "Wind SUCKS!"

30's is practically perfect for run weather (at least here in NY - YMMV).
I'd wear: shorts, tech T-shirt (maybe l/s shirt if your arms get cold), and very light liner gloves.

Now, while warming up, you might want a beanie, a light shell jacket or sweatshirt, run pants, maybe warmer gloves for that.
But, you'll want to ditch all that about a minute before the gun goes off, and race light and fast.

Put it all back on right after the race, and ideally you'd also have dry, fresh warm clothes to change into.

Good luck!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

I'd say wear tights and a single longsleeve upper layer like smartwool or polypropylene. That is what I will wear tomorrow for my run in the high 30s. Smartwool with a technical t-shirt underneath actually. At hat and some thin gloves. If you don't tolerate cold well you could wear a technical t shirt with a single thin layer over top.

A 5K is almost a sprint so reasonably warm muscles would be a good idea to prevent injury.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from Michigan and we've had our share of cold winters.

For 50ish degrees, shorts and long sleeve shirt.

Much under 50 you should protect your knees. You'll be out in the cold for at least 30 min before the race starts. I'd wear tights or running pants and probably a long sleeve shirt with a tank underneath.

I'd wear a headband so my ears aren't exposed, some people go without.

30 degrees you'll probably feel your chest getting cold but it's only 5K...Just warm up in the car afterwards.

I agree with the warming up, 10 min or easy running would probably do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real runners never wear shorts over tights.

At 30 degrees, I would opt for tights, a fitted long sleeve shirt, gloves and a beanie. You’ll be comfortable and not over or under dressed.

TheStroBro wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Don't wear tights-- I feel like they aren't that cool looking. Maybe I need to see a picture of you in them. Regardless, I'm very leery of the idea of tights. Use caution.

Isn't this info available every year in the Oct/Nov issue of Runner's World? Now I'm beginning to wonder about you. You're no spring chicken-- you should know this stuff!! What's going on? Are you doing the turkey trot with your new GF's family, and you're nervous about it? If so, fess up and we can offer more meaningful advice.

Edit: and ditto what Tom Hampton said.

Haha some solid advice in all these posts. But mates - I shiver when it gets to 70 degrees. For the first 18 years of my life the house was kept at 82-85 degrees. Open windows and no air and just wear short and no shirt. Beach folk

I am beyond cold when it hits 50. Like 50 is f*ckin cold haha

In regards to the tights - I was also a diver so I will run through the most crowded place in public in a multi colored speedo and am totally good with it. So tights - to me - are conservative. Plus it will be below 50 and I won't have any pecker to be slinging around. It will be halfway up in my gut.

Nope - my new girlfriend (I use that term loosely) is also Floridian. If I WERE to run with her fam - I would run it in a speedo. If you set that bar about as low as it can go - only way to go is up! haha (Im 30 and single(ish) - and now I think I know why)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really surprised how many advocate tights and long sleeves for a 5K at 30 degrees. I'm shorts and a singlet. Gloves and warmer hat. If it were 10K or above I would wear arm warmers. It would have to be around 20 or under for tights or long sleeve shirt. I'm from PA.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

At 30 degrees, I would opt for tights, a fitted long sleeve shirt, gloves and a beanie. You’ll be comfortable and not over or under dressed.

TheStroBro wrote:

Well, you see I'm a "bro" runner...because apparently I've been accused of being a gym bro on here. But, in the Army if the BN CDR allowed use of tights, I only saw this rarely, you were required to wear shorts. I don't want to see your junk, so wear shorts. Since you apparently didn't use an emoji I'm guessing you were serious.

Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with a long sleeve tech shirt, shorts and gloves you can ditch at that temp. Go out for a warm up wearing running pants (sweatpants/whatever) and a sweatshirt...get nice and warm....wear the sweats until about 5 minutes before race. Take off, do some strides to keep things toasty...and go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob S wrote:
I'm really surprised how many advocate tights and long sleeves for a 5K at 30 degrees. I'm shorts and a singlet. Gloves and warmer hat. If it were 10K or above I would wear arm warmers. It would have to be around 20 or under for tights or long sleeve shirt. I'm from PA.

x2

though i would probably still dig out some arm warmers to go with that singlet for the 5k
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Bob S wrote:

x2

though i would probably still dig out some arm warmers to go with that singlet for the 5k

I'm taking into account that he isn't used to the cold. I also live in a part of the country where a non-windy day is 10-15mph winds, after the corn harvested, a non-windy day goes to 20-25mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're cold during a 5K, you aren't running hard enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
If you're cold during a 5K, you aren't running hard enough.

^^^ This.

Also: I ran a marathon last weekend in +2*C (what's that? 34F?). Shorts (with windproof briefs), started with a long sleeve over a singlet and arm warmers, beanie and gloves. Ditched the longsleeve at km 2, and the beanie at km 16. Ran the rest in singlet, arm warmers, and gloves. For gloves I use the cotton painter's gloves they sell at Home Depot for $12 for a pack of 10 pairs. Not fashionable, but just warm enough and cheap enough to ditch when you're hot.

My shorts threshold, back in the day, was 4*C (39F). I slowly worked that down to -8*C (18F), although if it's really windy or I'm running really easy I may bust out the leg tarps at say -2.

Over here (the frozen tundra of Ontario), the only runners who wear shorts over their tights are either younger than 30 or gym bros, or both. And let me tell you - if your junk is visible through your tights, your doing it wrong because you forgot your windproof briefs. And if you don't have those you might as well run naked, cuz your junk is going to freeze, tights or no tights.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather 5k? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any long sleeve shirt cut at the hip will cover your junk. Even my fitted tech shirts cover my junk. Wearing shorts over tights adds extra weigh and restricts movement. But if that’s your preference then run in what is comfortable.

TheStroBro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

TheStroBro wrote:

Well, you see I'm a "bro" runner...because apparently I've been accused of being a gym bro on here. But, in the Army if the BN CDR allowed use of tights, I only saw this rarely, you were required to wear shorts. I don't want to see your junk, so wear shorts. Since you apparently didn't use an emoji I'm guessing you were serious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a run the day before. Temps oughta be similar. Start with layers and keep peeling off to see what is comfortable. It is that simple.

Race day, you'll go harder, so you'll need a little less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take some crappy clothes with you and ditch them right before the start. I wouldn't wear anything more than shorts and maybe a long sleeve tech shirt during the race.
Warm-up well with a 10-15 min jog including a few strides.
You will PR at this thing... Heat is a big limiter so if your PR is 20:30 in the heat you should expect to go sub 20 in cold weather.

Twinkie wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply

Prev Next