Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman WC location should be moved from Kona [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have 3 big ass other continents to choose from.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WC location should be moved from Kona [johnniecakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnniecakes wrote:
JackL wrote:
Scot wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
This would be like if the PGA moved the Masters from Augusta. To much mistique and history. I would imagine they would take a hug financial hit if they did so.

Exactly there's a certain aura to being in the same,iconic place. Kentucky Derby, Augusta National, Indy 500, Yankee Stadium , Lambeau Field, Kona etc. They can't and shouldn't move. 40 years is still a short time and having a single location where all of the sports legends have raced is a positive thing.

It's not the same thing though. No normal sports organisation would hold its world championship in the same place every year. But as we know, IM is a corporation and yes I'd find it hard to imagine it anywhere else.

But every sports organization has it's world championship under similar conditions every year. For example a soccer pitch or football field is identical in dimensions. The weather may be different but the "course" is the same.

FIFA regulations have a range for fields sizes rather than strict dimensions like Hockey and (American) Football. I.e., field length must be within 100-110m long and 64-75m wide. It's not even the same within one league
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WC location should be moved from Kona [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Kona is what drives Ironman. All the small details don't matter. Move the WC away from Kona and 99% of people wont care. I can't believe this is even a debate.

Leave well enough alone and keep it in Kona.

This is very much a pro North American mindset though. You bet your ass Euro's would love to have it in their back yard as well as Aussies. Moving it around would really not damage the IM financial money train, and in fact likely open it to more people potentially attending. Kona is a pain in the ass travel logistics destination for many many people.

I would speculate that the issue has been discussed at length in Ironman's board room: and I would also bet that there are significant concerns by some principals that moving it WOULD damage their revenue stream. They certainly have a lot more to lose than you or I if they make a wrong decision. And assuming that WTC is the slightest bit receptive to setting up a rotating championship, I would also bet they do not want to do that until after celebrating the 50th anniversary edition in Hawaii. Meanwhile, the people in the cheap seats will continue to have this conversation every year. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WC location should be moved from Kona [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm sure there are talks and concerns, just like every day board room meetings in all types of companies. But do I think Kona is the forever spot? Nope, at some point it's going to be moved for a likely variety of reasons. I just don't think it's this end all be all for IM if Kona is removed/replaced/rotated and not the WC every single year.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next