Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:
Is it really that silly? Whether or not the transfer rules are stupid and/or petty, what happened to reading the agreement, signing it, and following it? I don't think it's a major ethical dilemma we have here, we just simply have a failure to understand and follow rules. Liking the rules is up to you. Following the rules (that you agree to) is not. I don't get it.. this is real simple. And this goes for everything in life.. don't F'ing sign it if you don't want to obey it.

Did you sign your driver's license?
Our signatures are on our driver's licenses, yes. What in the name of string cheese does that have to do with anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A certain theory of contract is that there are no ethics involved in contracts - there is just allocation of resources.

So in this case, I agree not to transfer the bib. Then I decide if I want to live under that stipulation or whether I want to breach my agreement and suffer the damages (whatever they may be). On this sort of economic analysis, ethics donā€™t come into play - I just determine if it is worth more to me to breach or not breach. If the RD has ā€œlostā€ something by my breach, he or she can sue me to recover it.

In the end we are each ā€œwholeā€ and life goes on.

Contract law is not necessarily morality, not is it criminal law, the Ten Commandments, etc. It is a business transaction designed to give some certainty to transfer or goods or services for some consideration.

Consider intentionally fouling a player in basketball - is that unethical? Very similar to intentional breach of contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:
Is it really that silly? Whether or not the transfer rules are stupid and/or petty, what happened to reading the agreement, signing it, and following it? I don't think it's a major ethical dilemma we have here, we just simply have a failure to understand and follow rules. Liking the rules is up to you. Following the rules (that you agree to) is not. I don't get it.. this is real simple. And this goes for everything in life.. don't F'ing sign it if you don't want to obey it.

Our signatures are on our driver's licenses, yes. What in the name of string cheese does that have to do with anything?

Leave me out of this....

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:

Leave me out of this....
I had just been in our refrigerator.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
A certain theory of contract is that there are no ethics involved in contracts - there is just allocation of resources.

So in this case, I agree not to transfer the bib. Then I decide if I want to live under that stipulation or whether I want to breach my agreement and suffer the damages (whatever they may be). On this sort of economic analysis, ethics donā€™t come into play - I just determine if it is worth more to me to breach or not breach. If the RD has ā€œlostā€ something by my breach, he or she can sue me to recover it.

In the end we are each ā€œwholeā€ and life goes on.

Contract law is not necessarily morality, not is it criminal law, the Ten Commandments, etc. It is a business transaction designed to give some certainty to transfer or goods or services for some consideration.

Consider intentionally fouling a player in basketball - is that unethical? Very similar to intentional breach of contract.

The person participating in the event isn't a party to the contract, the original runner is. In this case, there very well may be event's insurance coverage. Who knows, maybe they submit the names, versus a total number of people for coverage.

When you utilize your USAC license for coverage at events, you have to show ID. That's where that assumption came from.

So, you might not be at issue with goods/services with the RD or the event, but the insurance for the event.

I'm guessing the reason they don't do transfers after a certain date is that they batch up the participant ID tags/numbers/database all at once. Imagine having to go edit a database 100 different times leading up to the race as each person's mind changes. You can't do it the day before the race, it has to be ahead of time and all at once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:

Your signature is an agreement to abide by the laws of the road. I therefore assume you follow all driving laws to the T, correct? Complete stops, adequate trailing distances, signaling, following speed limits, etc., etc. The consumate driving perfectionist, you must be.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:

Your signature is an agreement to abide by the laws of the road. I therefore assume you follow all driving laws to the T, correct? Complete stops, adequate trailing distances, signaling, following speed limits, etc., etc. The consumate driving perfectionist, you must be.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 2, 18 12:12
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answers to your hypotheticals below. How about we lay down arms, take a deep breath, and maybe go out for some training now, huh?

windschatten wrote:
The lack of comprehension about definition of the term ā€œEthicsā€ is appalling. They donā€™t teach that in schools anymore, donā€™t they?
Explains current situation....

Besides:
Strangers?
A$$uming much?
I am a follower on social media. They are my ā€˜friendsā€™! Should I unfollow? Thatā€™ll tell them!

Back on topic:
You probably are also totally fine with buying 100 race entries and selling them to the highest bidder, shutting out those who want to sign up regularly. Nope, the difference in this hypothetical is the intent at the time of the original purchase. Buying 1 or 100 bibs you know you aren't going to use is unethical. In the actual case, someone's trying to sell 1 bib (at a loss) they intended to use but now can't.

No? So at how many bibs does ā€œEthicsā€ start? Could be as little as 1. All depends on the intent at the time of original purchase. (see above)

And sure you guys whine and bitch when you canā€™t get your preferred seats on Ticketmaster.....unethical, right?
Yes. As stated above, the intent of ticket scalpers is to game the system and then pass mark ups onto consumers. Very different from our actual case.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the bib got sold and used, unless a) the friend who couldn't make it changed her plans and b) she's wicked fast and dropped the poster AND her own husband to finish nearly 40 minutes ahead of them both

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Looks like the bib got sold and used, unless a) the friend who couldn't make it changed her plans and b) she's wicked fast and dropped the poster AND her own husband to finish nearly 40 minutes ahead of them both

No harm, no foul, right?

Is it me, or did the entire thread on FB disappear? I can't see my comments on that thread. Hmm...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Oct 8, 18 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "ad" is there, but the comments are gone [at least in the tri club FB I found, was it posted someplace else?]

Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

I went to Athlinks to compare her result [like Derek would do]

"This athlete's profile is private"

I didn't know you could do that

Anyway, her Broad Street result is about 40 minutes slower than yesterday, and more on par with the other 2 folks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Anyway, her Broad Street result is about 40 minutes slower than yesterday, and more on par with the other 2 folks

It might be interesting when the photos become available...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
ripple wrote:

Your last sentence said "And this goes for everything in life...don't F'ing sign it if you don't want to obey it.

So not only are you completely duplicitous, but you have no idea what a strawman actually is.

Better luck next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

"Congratulations Catherine on completing, with a finish time of: 1:20:34."

You wanna inform the RD, or want me to do it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
klehner wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

"Congratulations Catherine on completing, with a finish time of: 1:20:34."

You wanna inform the RD, or want me to do it?

Sweet mother of God...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The "ad" is there, but the comments are gone [at least in the tri club FB I found, was it posted someplace else?]

Looking at it again, she dumped the original altogether and replaced it with more marketable content - and bumped the price to $60

Quote:
Any one interested in running the sold out Army Ten Miler in Washington DC on Sunday 7 October??? My friend is not able to run it and will sell it for $60. This is such a great race if u haven't done it before, its my favorite race! I will be running again this year and this will be my 12th time running it. Race starts next to the Pentagon and course runs across Potomac, past Washington monument, Jefferson memorial, and the Smithsonian. A fun weekend in DC too as it is a holiday weekend.

Guess it worked out for everyone

Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 11, 18 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's one from my end...

Background:
  • I direct a race of 20,000 people
  • We are a full-time staff of 3 people
  • We have a defined transfer deadline one month before race day
  • All registrants must check several mandatory boxes during reg that they agree: a. I agree there are no refunds or deferrals and b. The transfer deadline is xx August. No exceptions after that date.
  • We do custom bibs with names on them, and print them about 10-20 days out from the race
  • We do this because if we open the floodgates to 20K people, 3 people can't handle it
  • for 2019 we have launched Ticket Guardian during reg. It's cheap, and it covers about 15 reasons to get their money back, including merch purchased, processing fees, etc.

Here's an email I got last week:

Good morning,

I had bought a bib off kijiji since the registration period had closed on the website. I was battling an injury and really wanted to run but wanted to wait until I was better to register. I picked up my bib and talked to Sports Stats and they told me that only the race directors would be able to do the name switch do to this races specific rule on name transfers. I had previously changed the name on a bib for the waterfront 10k race in Toronto and encountered no problem. Sport stats says that it's very easy to fix but that I need permission to do so.

I ran a PB at army. I want this race showing under my name. Currently when you look at sports stats my bib xxxxxx shows "No name". I feel like since sports stats said it's easily corrected it shouldn't be a big issue for you to allow it.

We don't allow name changes for unofficial transfers. It's the best way to discourage bandits etc, by hitting them at their ego. Because of that person's experience with us, I doubt they will do it again (and there's an admitted track record of doing so).
  • The obvious safety reasons mentioned before with waiver, emergency contact, etc. We had a cardiac incident this year and I was able to reunite the person with family before being sent away because of accurate contact info.
  • It's scalping, simply put. Much like any performer or sports team, we see nothing out of the secondary market. These things hurt businesses and events by shorting inventory and creating a falsely inflated market.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Looking at it again, she dumped the original altogether and replaced it with more marketable content - and bumped the price to $60

Quote:
Any one interested in running the sold out Army Ten Miler in Washington DC on Sunday 7 October??? My friend is not able to run it and will sell it for $60. This is such a great race if u haven't done it before, its my favorite race! I will be running again this year and this will be my 12th time running it. Race starts next to the Pentagon and course runs across Potomac, past Washington monument, Jefferson memorial, and the Smithsonian. A fun weekend in DC too as it is a holiday weekend.

Guess it worked out for everyone

That was a previous attempt to sell the entry. She dropped the price in the later post to which I responded.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next